Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 20, 2010, 4:45 AM   #21

Walter, I see I have VERY much to learn to get decent results

What I did was the following: I got out the car, set up my tripod, composed my shot and then took some single shots. Then I choosed a exposure time and did two bracketing series for the left, middle and right pic. I did the same thing a few minutes later. That's it I think I'll have to take much more time for shooting

Thank you very much for giving me this large amount of information and tips - and no, you didn't confuse me, I understood everything

I think with all those informations I can go out and try the whole thing out another time - thanks again, Walter!

BTW (only interesting for Walter): The location I tried my first night/blue hour shots was at the "Plattenrain" - my left pic was the "Tschirgant", then I went over the "Inntal" where the sun rises (you can see many kilometres from up there, up to the "Locherboden" near "Mötz") and finally ended up at the "Leiner Kögele/Sechszeiger/Hochzeiger" and other mountains in the "Pitztal" - maybe you know these names or even can remember places

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 9:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
... The location I tried my first night/blue hour shots was at the "Plattenrain" - my left pic was the "Tschirgant", then I went over the "Inntal" where the sun rises (you can see many kilometres from up there, up to the "Locherboden" near "Mötz") and finally ended up at the "Leiner Kögele/Sechszeiger/Hochzeiger" and other mountains in the "Pitztal" - maybe you know these names or even can remember places

You are welcome, Marcus!

I really would have liked to see that panorama there, yes! Your Plattenrain is an excellent vantage point / elevated place to make some magnificent panoramas of the Gurgeltal and Inntal - I am sure! All of the names are wellknown to me, and dear names of places I have been to and have seen.

I had forgotten all about Mötz and Locheboden, a place I visited already as a 8-year old at my first school-outing (Schulausflug) in May, klimbing up the steep hills from Mötz to the church of Locherboden. Also the mountains Leiner Kögele and Hochzeiger (I have climbed that last one together with my father when I was 14) are names of dear places to me, not to speak of the Tschirgant, which was a daily sight on my way to and from school ever day. I have many memorable memories of that mountain!

Anyway, I am looking forward to see this panorama of yours.

In the meantime here are two panoramas from my country. Both are 3-panel HDR panoramas.

Day-panorama, but no sunlight as there was this heavy fog.
Big resolution - 1440 pixels x 507 pixels.

Smaller size for those with other screen resolutions. 1024 x 265

Night-panorama. About 1 hour befor the sun came up, and it was bitter cold! -18º C - what you see above the bridge are not clouds (it was a clear night) but seasmoke, condensation raising from the water.
Big resolution: 1440 pixels x 482 pixels

Smaller size for those with other screen resolutions. 1024 x 342

Last edited by Walter_S; Jan 20, 2010 at 9:40 AM. Reason: Rooting (trying too, anyway...) out spelling errors! :o/
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:51 AM   #23
Super Moderator

Walter, you have outdone yourself on that last shot. the composition is just wonderful. the lead in from the dock and the way the water is framed by the shorelines and the other docks. it just places the emphasis perfectly on the colors of the pre-dawn reflections and that awesome seasmoke. wonderful shot, put that on on the wall next to your art paintings!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 2:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Walter, you have outdone yourself on that last shot.....wonderful shot, put that on on the wall next to your art paintings!
Why, thank you, Hards80!!

This was rather unexpected, as I thought you guys (sorry - and gals) must be feed up by now, with my eternal "blue-hour-shots" or "golden-hour" as we call it here in Norway. I almost don't dare to post any more of this kind her, because I have posted so many, and I'v been accused for not moving on (not renewing myself).

If its that good I'll post some more of those. I have a whole series (10 single and panoramas) done that same morning. I just don't know how to go about, posting so many at the same time, is not a good idea, is it?

...Any ideas?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 2:22 PM   #25
Super Moderator

Walter,

i kind of think that you have to make the most of your surroundings and environments. where you are in the world you have some lovely coastline scenes and with sunrise and sunset coming at convenient times in the day, makes for a perfect place to do these kinds of shots, something many of us do not have. and you make the most of it.

i don't think any of us are "fed up" on these beautiful shots.

you can post as many as you wish in these forums (ala hdr, landscape) though keep in mind that the amount of specific feedback you get for each photo will go down with increasing numbers posted.

another way to break up a series is to present a couple in this forum, maybe a couple in HDR, and 1 you want some feedback on in Photo Critiques.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 2:57 PM   #26

Walter, what can I say that hasnt been expressed already. How about vakker?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
...vakker?
Vakker sound very good in my ears, Bynx - Thank you for your ever so kind and positive words!

Mange takk!
Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
...another way to break up a series is to present a couple in this forum, maybe a couple in HDR, and 1 you want some feedback on in Photo Critiques.

Thanks for the tip, Hards80! Will do.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:04 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
You are welcome, Marcus!

I really would have liked to see that panorama there, yes! Your Plattenrain is an excellent vantage point / elevated place to make some magnificent panoramas of the Gurgeltal and Inntal - I am sure! All of the names are wellknown to me, and dear names of places I have been to and have seen.

I had forgotten all about Mötz and Locheboden, a place I visited already as a 8-year old at my first school-outing (Schulausflug) in May, klimbing up the steep hills from Mötz to the church of Locherboden. Also the mountains Leiner Kögele and Hochzeiger (I have climbed that last one together with my father when I was 14) are names of dear places to me, not to speak of the Tschirgant, which was a daily sight on my way to and from school ever day. I have many memorable memories of that mountain!

Anyway, I am looking forward to see this panorama of yours.
Interesting to hear about your experiences with the mountains I see every day

I played around a bit with the shots yesterday and I think I'm gonna post a few of them, even if they are not that great, but I want to bring back some memories and also show a bit of where I live.

Talking about your newest panoramas - these are both beautifully composed, the foggy one conveys that nice calm mood to me.
The night one is just terrific - the colors are sensational, I love the seasmoke and of course the very well done composition. You framed this one a little tighter than the first - I like that a bit better then the first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
This was rather unexpected, as I thought you guys (sorry - and gals) must be feed up by now, with my eternal "blue-hour-shots" or "golden-hour" as we call it here in Norway. I almost don't dare to post any more of this kind her, because I have posted so many, and I'v been accused for not moving on (not renewing myself).

If its that good I'll post some more of those. I have a whole series (10 single and panoramas) done that same morning. I just don't know how to go about, posting so many at the same time, is not a good idea, is it?
Walter, I can't get enough of this kind of shots - you live in such a picturesque (?) envorinment, it's a pleasure to see your seascapes!

Sometimes I'd like to have such a environment like you, without all the big mountains surrounding me giving me such a tight (?) feeling.... must be my roots, because my mom's from the north of Germany where it's really flat

So PLEASE keep posting such stunning and beautiful shots from Norway!

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:50 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
...Sometimes I'd like to have such a environment like you, without all the big mountains surrounding me giving me such a tight (?) feeling....
Ha-ha!!

This is proof that the grass indeed is always greener on the other side....

As much as you would like to shoot in my environment, as much would I like to shoot all those magnificent Austrian and Tyrolean mountains. I bet you they look great now!

You live is such a beautiful place, maggo! Don't feel 'trapped' by the shere enormosity of those Alpine mountains, try to make the most out of it and rather take advantage of the beautiful settings sourrounding you!

Take lots of pictures and post them her!

Last edited by Walter_S; Jan 21, 2010 at 1:56 PM.