Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 15, 2009, 8:55 PM   #1

Default Macy's Building and Carousel at Bryant Park

I took these pictures at noon today.

#1. I wanted a clear shot of the Macy’s building. But pedestrians and traffic kept getting into my shot. So I gave up and included traffic. Hopefully, the woman taking pictures at the corner would add interest to the shot.

#2. I wanted to take a picture of the carousel only at Bryant Park. I waited until the ride was over, hoping that the woman with the videocam and tripod would leave and the dad waiting for her wife and son riding the carousel also would leave. But when the ride was over, the woman approached the family and videotaped them. So again I gave up and instead of just the carousel, the woman and family now became my subjects.

I wanted to take pictures of landscapes, meaning no crowd, but that isn't always easy in New York most especially this time of year. Only much later did I realize that, hey, it’s Christmastime. Landscape photos I can take anytime. But people in good spirits, now that’s a treat. I hope you enjoy the photos. C&C welcome.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2009, 9:05 PM   #2

Ah NYC, never a moment without a crowd. Well at 2am the streets are quite calm. Are these HDR edited?
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 9:27 PM   #3

Yes -- they both are HDR edited. I use DPHDR.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 9:29 PM   #4

Love the way the clouds look.

Is it worth the time doing the HDR editing. I have aperture for regular editing, and I never use it. Trying to decide if I would use HDR editing if I were to get the program. Or wait couple of years and they will be on all the cameras
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:07 PM   #5
spy

I think having the people in the shots added nicely to the image; the mood of hustle and bustle. People with a purpose and plan in that moment. Is it possible to get higher, maybe from a second storey window, slow the shutter just a bit to capture the movement and get the shot of the building unobstructed?
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 7:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Love the way the clouds look.

Is it worth the time doing the HDR editing. I have aperture for regular editing, and I never use it. Trying to decide if I would use HDR editing if I were to get the program. Or wait couple of years and they will be on all the cameras
Say it isn't so! Adding HDR to all cameras will take away the romance of staring fixedly at a photograph making improvements for hours until a masterpiece comes out. Ah well, impressionists of the Renaissance would have said the same had they gone to visit Pixar labs...

Old Dec 16, 2009, 7:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy View Post
I think having the people in the shots added nicely to the image; the mood of hustle and bustle. People with a purpose and plan in that moment. Is it possible to get higher, maybe from a second storey window, slow the shutter just a bit to capture the movement and get the shot of the building unobstructed?
That's a splendid idea! There are other department stores I might try that on Fifth Avenue.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 8:15 AM   #8
sds

I agree with others about including the people. That makes it NY for me. Great pictures!
sds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:47 AM   #9

Again two great NYC pics, the first one is my favourite - I really like the sky!

I too think that the people belong to your pics and give them some vibrancy (?) - especially the women in the first photo is great
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 2:28 PM   #10

Thank you, sds and maggo85!

For the sky in #1, I used DPHDR's ultra-contrast tonemap which always brings out detail from otherwise featureless skies. (I was actually surprised because I didn't see any clouds in the original image -- ultra contrast brought them out.) Since ultra-contrast tends to be grainy, I used Gaussian blur to soften it. I then copied-and-pasted the finished sky to the eye-catching image. Just some technical info I would like to share...