Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 17, 2009, 3:57 PM   #1

Default December Night at Bryant Park

I took these pictures last night at Bryant Park in New York City. These are more for sharing than anything else as I didn't do anything new -- it's more of the same -- but C&C and suggestions are always welcome. Thank you for looking!

#1. At last the carousel is mine alone -- to photograph, that is.

#2. Open-air bar at Bryant Park -- for those who don't mind the freezing cold.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2009, 5:27 PM   #2

Reeeeaaaallly nice!! Love the colors & composition!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 5:52 PM   #3

Very nice.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:23 PM   #4

Like the effect, the color of the picture jump out at you.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:34 AM   #5

Beautiful shots, vvcarpio, love to see the carousel without people in front of it Colors are great, of course!
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 8:04 AM   #6

Default You'v done it agin!

Great shots again, vvcarpio!

Both of them are a delight to look at. The first is a very well framed picture of this lovely carousell and the White-balance for this shot is spot-on! Loads of interesting and sharply pictured details to look at here!

The second one is a very good study of the hustle and bustle of a big city, and I specially like the composition you have chosen here. There is a horizontal line here with an almost second frame inside the frame.

Beneath the wooden awning (?) there is leisure, enjoyment, quiet, warmth and a friendly light giving the sourroundings a special sens of comfort. Above the awnings there is the business-like, tough and cold world with loads of offices and places of work, contradicting the pleasure-loaded athmosphere beneath.

Great moods captured in a very nice manner and with beautiful colors and a large span of dynamic range! You are rapidly becoming an expert with well-sampled HDR's and your skill is providing us with great details all the way up the tree-trunks on #2 - which I find amazing.

Well done!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:34 AM   #7

Thank you, all (oh alright I'll name each and everyone of you -- gtoth, Ordo, shoturtle, maggo85, and Walter S... ), for the wonderful compliments!

Walter, I really like the way you put it where you say leisure shares work on the same pic -- I never thought of it that way. The seats there are mostly wooden deck chairs and there are some swingsets.

Bryant is really not a big park -- it shares the two blocks it occupies with the big, mausoleum-like New York Public Library. But somehow it has managed to have a lot of stuff on it -- two full-size restaurants, an open-air bar, a carousel, a big water fountain, several statues no one cares about, a skating rink, and now a bustling flea market -- and still leave some areas ignored by mainstream tourists for some peace and quiet.

I added some more pictures I took yesterday at Bryant Park.

#1. Flea market stalls running along the backside of the New York Public Library.

#2. Flea market stalls running along the 42nd Street side facing west (towards New Jersey).

#3. Skating rink. In the summer this is an open grass field where people sit, nap, read a book, etc. On Monday summer nights, they show movies on a giant silver screen. There's a two-storey glass-walled restaurant on the right (covered by a Bryant Park umbrella) where you must get a spectacular view of the skating rink while you dine. I checked the menu yesterday thinking maybe the family can have dinner there one night so I can take photos from the second floor. It doesn't look like the meals are full servings. A steak sandwich costs $13 if I remember right.

#4. Bryant Park Grill along the backside of the New York Public Library.

#5. View of the sky above Bryant Park.

What can I say -- I'm inspired by all the positive critiques and comments I receive here at steves-digicams that I can't help but feel I'm imposing sometimes.

I hope you enjoy the pictures!
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:36 PM   #8

What a world of difference that last shot would look like in August. All nice shots.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 1:01 PM   #9

Default vvcarpio!

[QUOTE]...that I can't help but feel I'm imposing sometimes[/QUOTE]

How can you impose on us - if you keep posting such lovely and well composed pictures.

Nahhh, vvcarpio, just keep on posting. I'm a big fan of your way of seing and depicting the world, well, mostly NYC and the state of NY. I wish I could look over your sholders when you make your HDR's on DPHDR - because I think you are gifted to get the most out of that software. Of course, getting well composed and exposed photos lays the first stepping stones for success.

Anyway, I have noticed that your rather skilful picture-taking is mainly based on using your Alpha350 in Aperture priority (I do the same for landscapes) and with f 5,6 as a "standard" aperture. Amazingly this combo gives you a vast DOF, as seen in your first 2 pictures. All perfectly sharp from a few feet away from the camera to infinity (top of the high-rise, for example).

When I looked at your new postings from this afternoon, 5 new pictures from Bryant Park, I first stopped on #1 and my first reaction was that this shot is different from all the others. Something about the picture / exposure was different. The others were more or less consistent with the kind of shots you usually post.

Then I checked each and every-one for EXIF-data, and there it was! All pictures in this etire thread - and most of your other threads - are shot with Aperture priority and f 5,6-aperture - but this first pic in #7 was shot the other way around!

The EXIF said: Exposure Program = Shutter priority and shutter was 1/4" (which is pretty slow for a street-scene..) while your A350 chose f 22 !! And I think some traces of diffraction can be seen in this picture, apart from the fact that your highlights on the pavemant are blown.

Strangely enough, the bronze-pillar with the red ribbons on, is razor sharp, while the rest seems a bit out of focus or may be the result of slight camera-shake. I cannot make out which it is. The blurr of passing people and the lens-glare doesn't help very much either.

Otherwise, I like your latest postings, specially the skating rink - with all that harsh (almost annoyingly) criss-cross of horizontals and verticals in the background, but balanced out nicely with the soothing (for ones eyes) flat green area in the foreground and the monotone white of the ice - and the last picture - 'View of the sky above Bryant Park'.

Keep it up, vvcarpio - You are making progress all the time!

Hav a nice weekend!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 4:28 PM   #10

Another comment about #1 Flea Market stalls. The two women on the left have interesting things going on. The red jacketed woman has a razor sharp leg and foot on the ground while the upper half is all a blur of hustle and bustle. And the woman beside her has the same leg doing the same thing. They are obviously in step and you cant catch the moving leg. In #4 we have another motion difference between the two guys moving from the right towards the guy standing there checking his bag to see what he forgot. Its these funny little things I like seeing in these kinds of pictures.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote