Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 17, 2009, 4:04 PM   #1

Default Longing for the summer!

We are not even halve-way through the winter yet, and I am allready longing for summertime....

There was such a dismal weather all day today,with minus 7 C and a strong wind blowing, that i started to rummage in my summer-archives and found a shot I earlier did in Photomatix, but never was really satisfied with. Photomatix tends to add nois / grain to certain underexposed areas. Now, in a night-shot there are always underexposed areas...

Today I re-did this HDR in DPHDR and was surprised of the smooth output I got from it. Soo good in fact, that i take a chance to post it again, even so it's 6 months old.

Time: 22:30h or 10:30 PM on June 25th, 2009 - and the Place is called Papperhavn in the Hvaler Archipelago in the South of Norway.

Needless to say, it was one of those silky-smooth summer-evenings you wish never would stop! This was shot with my Panasonic FZ-28 and for a P&S-camera this is a faily decent photo.

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Dec 17, 2009 at 4:07 PM. Reason: spelling errors!! :o/
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2009, 5:48 PM   #2

Wow. Drop jaw, indecent pick.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 5:55 PM   #3
Super Moderator

great colors. but i don't really like that you cut off the top of the sailboat.

i would have rather seen less of the foreground water, cropped maybe just below where the reflection of the boathouse ends and then given more sky, at least enough to get the sailboat and a little extra.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 6:04 PM   #4

I'm glad I'm not the only one longing for warmer weather already. I'm sick of cold and rain!

I agree with Hards on the picture.
jennlynn130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 6:49 PM   #5

The dynamic range on this photo is un real! I love the "after glow" of the sun on the thin clouds on the horizon. Just a great picture!

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:32 AM   #6

Man, I just went to my office at -15 Celsius - what a pleasure to see this beautiful summer shot after freezing my fingers off

I just love the colors and the setting with the two boats and the hat - but when it comes to cropping, I agree with Hards80, would have cropped the pic in another way.

But, nevertheless, thanks for sharing this amazint photo, Walter!
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 3:18 PM   #7

Default Bummer! :o/

but I still like the picture and what it symbolizes...warmt, glow, summer,...
Old Dec 18, 2009, 3:51 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
but I still like the picture and what it symbolizes...warmt, glow, summer,...
and that is great. and do not that i never said it was bad per se, just giving some suggestions that popped in my head.

the good thing about photography, well all of art, is the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 9:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
...and do not that i never said it was bad per se, just giving some suggestions that popped in my head...
Just to avoid any misunderstandings here. When I said "Bummer" in my last respons, I did not think of anybody in particular, Hards80.

It was more a reaction towards myself for being so thoughtless of not having seen that the rule of 2/3rds could have been obeyed still, by changing the horizon-level down to 1/3rds, keeping 2/3rds of sky (including the top of the mast) and 1/3rds of water.

My own thoughts (I remember exactly) in the shooting situation was the following:

If I choose 2/3rds of sky or 2/3 of water - what will be more interesting?

The rest of the sky looked quite "tame" apart from the red color of course and the very small clouds just above the horizon.

The sea on the other hands had small ripples and would therfor be of more interest. So I thought...

I forgot the mast-top!

So, Bummer! - I made the wrong choice!

Another reason for a low horizon was the meter- and focus-question. With a low horizon the lens would have pointed into the air / sky with hardly enough contrast for the auto-focus to work.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 10:42 AM   #10

Please dont blame me Walter. Hards80 made me do it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bynx; Dec 19, 2009 at 10:46 AM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote