Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 21, 2009, 3:35 PM   #1

Default Broadway After Season's First Snowstorm

I took a couple of shots this morning -- this is the most colorful.

I think my f5.6 setting is starting to cause skies to get blown out and that I should try a higher setting. C&C welcome. Thanks for looking!
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2009, 8:28 PM   #2

Colorful is an understatement. Its very eye catching. Although I kinda like it, I think a reduction in saturation is called for.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:09 AM   #3

Thanks a lot, Bynx! Yes, I think I forgot to slide the saturation control down from its default value. I tried again below.

To all, sometimes I would turn my head and find the scene attracting but hesitate to shoot because there’s really no subject other than the whole scene itself. This is one such shot. The Orton effect on 42nd Street neon signs is another. I guess Bynx summed it up with the phrase, “eye-catching”.

Is this a wrong way or at least an exceptional case of composing? In other words, should there always be a subject? If not, is there any way of conveying to the viewer the message that, “Hey, there’s nothing to look at in particular can’t you just enjoy the whole scene for once for crying out loud?”

If no one knows the answer either (I understand art is very subjective as to have any rules although there might be some gotchas to be avoided -- a picture of a ceramic men’s wall-mounted urinal for example* no matter how artsy it’s designed), I hope no one minds that I just continue posting such shots and see how they’re taken until I maybe develop a sense for what works and what doesn’t. (If you do mind, say so and I won’t.)

Below is another example.

#2. Times Square corner of 42nd Street.

I think what caught my eye here is the play of shadows. I’m not sure if the photograph shows it as well as what my eyes saw, though.

Thanks a lot for looking!

--
* - This was actually an example in a discourse about art on a webpage I read some time ago but forgot the URL.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Dec 22, 2009 at 8:55 AM. Reason: I left out my footer -- I just added it.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:37 AM   #4
spy

vvcarpio, I think you have found your niche in photographing cityscapes. I always thought NYC was busier but I guess that is watching too many movies with your streets absolutely packed with people with no room to move. Maybe going to work or at the end of the work day when everyone is now going home.

What always happens when taking photos of tall buildings is that they always look tilted. By going to layers - duplicate layer>Ok>Edit>Transform>Warp then pull the corners until the buildings stand straight.

Cheers!

Kevin
Attached Images

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:52 AM   #5

That's a marked improvement -- thanks, spy!

Yes, I did play around with the camera lens distortion filter on PE on Macy's facade last week as a sort of experiment. (I didn't post it here.) I liked the adjustment of straightening the lines. I will do that on buildings from now on.

Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy View Post
vvcarpio, I think you have found your niche in photographing cityscapes. I always thought NYC was busier but I guess that is watching too many movies with your streets absolutely packed with people with no room to move. Maybe going to work or at the end of the work day when everyone is now going home.
Yes, on some days on certain streets and avenues (Fifth Avenue in particular), the streets are packed. The movies you saw are pretty accurate.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 3:44 PM   #7

Spy the tilt has been improved but the people look shorter and fatter. I think a final stretch in the up down would fix that problem. From the colored objects I can remember seeing Id say VV your final slight de saturation is spot on and all is just right. Still very colorful but more natural looking. Great series VV.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 3:54 PM   #8

Thanks, Bynx!
Old Dec 22, 2009, 7:00 PM   #9

I am enjoying your city scenes. There is so much too look for/at that my mind is enjoying it. I live in a small Kansas town and it's always fun to see the life in big cities. Keep'um coming
Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeephotog View Post
I am enjoying your city scenes. There is so much too look for/at that my mind is enjoying it. I live in a small Kansas town and it's always fun to see the life in big cities. Keep'um coming
Thanks, jeephotog! I enjoy doing it so consider it done.