Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:45 PM   #1

Default Panoramic Sunrise

I have been working on the pictures from this sunrise for some time now and had planned to post them here. The problem was to sort out what was worth showing from several hundreds of takes, without repeating oneself too much.

Date: 12th December. The night-sky was almost totally covered with clouds, but luckily there was this narrow strip of clear sky at the horizon, just where it was supposed to be - to the east! The clouds where in motion all the time, changing the light and scenerey from minute to minute, hence the many different moods reulting from this. This goes to show that you never know what you get until its over...

# 1 - Single shot. No HDR!
This is the earliest picture when it was still pitch-dark. Exposure time is 8 seconds...

# 2 - panorama of 3 single shots - No HDR
A few minutes later with a panoramic view.

# 3 - Panorama-stitch HDR
Halve an hour later and colors are developing and the glow of the morninglight is starting to spread. The sky's reflection brings out some details of the rocks we stand on.

# 4 - Panorama-stitch HDR
More light and colors appearing...

# 5 - Panorama-stitch HDR
The sun has reached the horizon and....

# 6 - Panorama-stitch HDR
..there are the first fiery sunrays greeting a new day welcome - carefully touching the rocks and at the same time are painting the clouds and coloring the sky. Colors are getting deeper. A few orange and warm rays are ricochetting off the rocks.

# 7 - Panorama-stitch HDR
The first sun-rays are kissing the rocks we stand on...

# 8 - Panorama-stitch HDR

...and 10 minutes later, a spectacular crescendo of orange-red, resulting in the now full sun sending its rays towards us - though filtered through some clouds - hitting us and it looks as if it tries setting the rocks on fire!

I greet this, another new day, welcome, and never get tired to watch the sun and its daylight eat up the leftovers of the dark and mystery of the night.

All photos taken with my Panasonic Lumix DMC G1 micro four/thirds camera and kitlens 14-45mm.
Have a nice weekend and Holydays, everyone.

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Apr 18, 2010 at 3:07 PM. Reason: Editing out spelling-errors! :o]
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2009, 3:27 PM   #2

A great series, Walter. #6 and #8 are my favorites. Thanks for sharing those.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:51 PM   #3

Absolutely outstanding shots Walter. That first one is ....ah I was going to go for favorites. But they are all too good to choose from.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 1:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
A great series, Walter.....Thanks for sharing those.
Thank you very much, Walter - I really appreciate your kind comments!
Old Dec 27, 2009, 1:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
....ah I was going to go for favorites. But they are all too good to choose from.

But then it is never really a competition of which single shot is "best" anyway. Its the moods and the night-scenery I am after. I'm a bit surprised to see a comment of yours in this here thread at all, knowing that you are not exactly fond of seascapes. The more I appreciate your kind words in this respect.

Thank you, Bynx!

Last edited by Walter_S; Dec 27, 2009 at 2:52 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:49 AM   #6

wow they are alle great pictures! very dramatic succession, together they tell the story! being a little jealous at th location you have at hand there....
tsjiaotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 5:58 AM   #7

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
I have been working on the pictures from this sunrise for some time now and had planned to post them here. The problem was to sort out what was worth showing from several hundreds of takes, without repeating oneself too much.

Date: 12th December. The night-sky was almost totally covered with clouds, but luckily there was this narrow strip of clear sky, just where it was supposed to be - to the east! The clouds where in motion all the time, changing the light and scenerey from minute to minute, hence the many different moods reulting from this. This goes to show that you never know what you get...

# 1 - Single shot. No HDR!
This is the earliest picture when it was still pitch-dark. Exposure time is 8 seconds...

# 2 - panorama of 3 single shots - No HDR
A few minutes later with a panoramic view.

# 3 - Panorama-stitch HDR
Halve an hour later and colors are developing and the morninglight is starting to spread. The sky's reflection brings out some details of the rocks we stand on.

# 4 - Panorama-stitch HDR
More light and colors appearing...

# 5 - Panorama-stitch HDR
The sun has reached the horizon and....

# 6 - Panorama-stitch HDR
...is playing with the clouds and the sky. Colors are getting deeper. A few oragne and warm rays are ricochetting off the rocks.

# 7 - Panorama-stitch HDR
The first sun-rays are kissing the rocks we stand on...

# 8 - Panorama-stitch HDR

And 10 minutes later, a spectacular crescendo of orange-red, resulting in the now full sun sending its rays towards us - though filtered through some clouds - hitting us and it looks as if it tries setting the rocks on fire!

All photos taken with my Panasonic Lumix DMC G1 micro four/thirds camera and kitlens 14-45mm.
Have a nice weekend and Holydays, everyone.

Yes, Walter,

Every picture has it's own story, but the photo artist perhaps has to distance himself and let the pictures ripe. You do that, showing some ripe pictures here from the Skagerrak coastline

When I look at pictures I often try to see the underlaying intension. No need for it in this case

Seems the Skagerrak (Skagerack, Skagerak) coastline is the most well covered at the moment. There was a man, nickname "Sportive" who also made coastline pictures, perhaps from Fredrikstad too. He suddenly disappeared as did his pictures. Don't know why

Perhaps he made a picture so beautiful that he didn't have to do any more (Leonard Cohen: "Like any dealer he was looking for the card that is so high and wild, he never need to deal another")

Walter, these are some overwhelming pictures, showed by a skilled and dedicated photographer. As opposed to "ordinary artists", painters and the likes of them :-) the photographer has a special responsability vis vis the reality. It's all there and there is enough headroom in a photograph to show a "bit of yourself"; whatever that is

You show that responsability. Congratulations

Torgny

Last edited by Torgny; Dec 27, 2009 at 6:48 AM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:48 AM   #8

What a great series. I think the 5th one is the best of the series!
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 1:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsjiaotai View Post
...being a little jealous at th location you have at hand there....

Thank you for your comments, tsjiaotai!

You have the North Sea at your doorstep, almost the same when you take away the rocks...

Old Dec 27, 2009, 1:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
...It's all there and there is enough headroom in a photograph to show a "bit of yourself"; whatever that is. You show that responsability.
Thank you so much for your encouraging words, Torgny!

The coast and the sea has always held a mystery for me and I have always felt a strange attraction to it. I never get tired watching its ever changing faces and picturing such scenes. So much beauty and strong force of nature - there is never a dull moment.