Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:35 AM   #1
spy

Default Christmas Morning on Notch Hill/BW

Ok, I posted the color version of this a couple of years ago but never looked at doing a b/w of it. What drew my attention back to this photo was the sad reality that I did not make it back there this last Christmas which has been the tradition since 2005. Also, my family-in-law's that live there tell me the church is leaning over so bad that they actually have to think twice before walking in side of it as it is ready to fall over at any moment.

A little history of this structure is that it was built in around 1910-14 and was in the middle of a bustling little railroad town with the train tracks running down just in front of the church. The local museum shows lots of buildings around but now only the church is the visual reminder that people came there to worship, hold funerals, weddings and dedicate babies. If you were to drive through this part of Sorrento, B.C., you would never know it was a busy little town.

Sometime between 1920 and around 1930's the tax department assessed taxes owing either on the farmer's land it sits on or of the church itself and the church was given over to the government as payment. Taxes killed it, as no one attended anymore and the locals are watching it fall to the ground.

One of the folks there that looks after the community centre told me that a local resident has offered to move the church to his property in the area and do a full restoration of it with his own money but when the other area folk heard of this they all stood in protest and swore to burn it down if it is moved.

It is incredibly sad to watch this beautiful structure fall with no group effort to see it restored.
Attached Images

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:08 PM   #2
Super Moderator

that is a very sad story spy. i am really surprised that if the people loved this building, then wouldn't they rather see it moved and restored, versus just sit there and rot?

anyways, as you know i love black and white landscapes and always look forward to your submissions. this one is no exception. this is a bit of a contrast to your usual dark scenes. but i really like it. the fog and light greys go well with the snowscape and give a nice ambiance.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 2:51 AM   #3

I haven't seen the color version of this shot, but the B&W is amazing! The contrast between the church and the rest of the landscape is just great... like all your B&W landscapes
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 9:14 AM   #4
spy

Here is the color version and thank you for the comments.
Attached Images

Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:11 AM   #5

IMO the B&W-version doesn't need the high sky it has now, because there is really not much going on there. It would still work with a very low crop.

The color version, on the other hand, is a totally different pice of merchandise. It thrives on the big sky. It needs the big sky. It's the sky that gives it the sacred and almost christmas-card like appearance to the whole picture, with its gorgeous, fine and subtle pastels and the almost god-like appearance of this bright patch of light reflected in the clouds.

The B&W doesn't do it for me, the color-version is perfect!

But, what do I know.....
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 1:27 PM   #6

The color version is absolutely stunning, spy - I don't know what I can say more, everything's perfect
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 2:34 PM   #7
spy

Thank you for those words Walter and maggo85. This image is a result of stitching 4 portrait images together in ps cs4.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 5:39 PM   #8

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

spy,

That's one depressed building, carrying the burden of the good and almighty sky on it's back. Perhaps it should be that way; in the light of Haiti 2010

//T
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote