Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 11, 2010, 2:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
the jeepne just speaks of phillipines, that and balut. lol.
Balut -- my brother eats that, I don't. I can't stand munching on a fully formed chick inside the egg complete with feathers and crunchy little bones -- ugh!

They say balut is good for the blood though. On some blood-donation-drives, the only compensation donors get is they can eat as much free balut as they want. An overweight friend of mine used to do that whenever the blood donation truck pulls up in his village.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 3:19 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Balut -- my brother eats that, I don't. I can't stand munching on a fully formed chick inside the egg complete with feathers and crunchy little bones -- ugh!

They say balut is good for the blood though. On some blood-donation-drives, the only compensation donors get is they can eat as much free balut as they want. An overweight friend of mine used to do that whenever the blood donation truck pulls up in his village.
i haven't tried, but as you say the bones and pre-formed feathers seem less than apetizing to be honest.

but i would try it once.

much rather have a bowl of pancit if given the choice though.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i haven't tried, but as you say the bones and pre-formed feathers seem less than apetizing to be honest.

but i would try it once.

much rather have a bowl of pancit if given the choice though.
There's a milder (a lot milder) version of the balut called penoy. The egg doesn't contain a fully formed chick but rather the typical egg white and yolk in kind of like hardboiled but with some liquid inside. (I don't know how they do it.) What I do is I crack open a small hole at the top of the egg then drink the liquid inside. It's delicious. Then I unshell and eat the rest of the egg.

If you do try the balut make sure you have a bottle of ice-cold beer at the ready just in case it needs pushing down your throat .
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:14 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
There's a milder (a lot milder) version of the balut called penoy. The egg doesn't contain a fully formed chick but rather the typical egg white and yolk in kind of like hardboiled but with some liquid inside. (I don't know how they do it.) What I do is I crack open a small hole at the top of the egg then drink the liquid inside. It's delicious. Then I unshell and eat the rest of the egg.

If you do try the balut make sure you have a bottle of ice-cold beer at the ready just in case it needs pushing down your throat .
yea, i have had something similar to penoy before i think. they do a very soft boiled egg with some seasoning liquid in it in thailand too, and my gf has made it here before.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote