Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 14, 2010, 3:25 PM   #1

Default Snow-Angel and Seasmoke

It's not an exciting shot as such. It's more of a mood I stumbled across my daily walks along the seashore. It was very cold, a bitter north-easterly wind - carrying more cold all the way from Siberia - was blowing down that sound, when I stumbled across this snow-figure, right by the edge of the pier.

A Snow-Angel!
At least it's what we called it when we were kids, playing in the snow. One would lie back-down in the snow, imprinting your upper-body into the ground, and waving your arm sideways, up and down, making a fan-like imprint (angels-wings, so to speak) on both sides of your body - A Snow-Angel was born! By the looks of the 'angels' size it must have been a small child leaving behind a childhood-memory for me to re-discover.

I had forgotten all about this (old men ususally forget quite a lot...) until I stumbled across this figure in the snow - and it all came back to me. The circumstances that day, were different from my own memories (all good memories are always from nice weather with the sun shining!), but warming just the same...

Snow-Angel in the snow and seasmoke on the water. That 'steam-like' fog raising from the water is due to the ice-cold temperatures of approx. - 15 C in the air, while the water still has some warmth, giving off condensation.

BTW - The time is the middle of the day and this is just about how high the sun gets on the Norwegian horizon these days. Due to the northern Latitudes we only have about 4-5 hours of daylight.

Thank you for looking!

Last edited by Walter_S; Jan 14, 2010 at 3:31 PM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2010, 5:45 PM   #2

"BTW - The time is the middle of the day and this is just about how high the sun gets on the Norwegian horizon these days. Due to the northern Latitudes we only have about 4-5 hours of daylight."

With such limited daylight, you make very good use of those hours of light. It also explains those wonderful evening/night images that you post.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 6:59 PM   #3
Super Moderator

they say a picture can be worth a thousand words. but i think this picture may be worth even more to you than that. and i am sure for many others with memories of childhood snow angels.

i am a bit too young to really look back on my childhood in the same way.

but for me this tells the story of a land where the sun barely rises, which is quite fascinating for me, as we have a true daytime 365 days per year here.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 1:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenose View Post
...With such limited daylight, you make very good use of those hours of light. It also explains those wonderful evening/night images that you post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
...but for me this tells the story of a land where the sun barely rises, which is quite fascinating for me, as we have a true daytime 365 days per year here.
Bluenose and Hards80 -

Thank you both for your kind and understanding comments.

About the short sunlight-hours: The figure given (4-5 hrs) above are of course for wintertime only. My compensation for this lack of shooting-time in the cold season comes later, in spring and specially mid-summer. In June for instance, it's the other way around. Then we have only about 4-5 hours "night-time" (when the sun is not up) and then it gets tricky to shoot tru sun-rises, because you have to get up as early as 03:00 AM to catch one!!

Mind you, Norway is a big country stretching much farther north than my own place. North of the Polar-circle they have no daylight-hours at all for some 4-6 weeks during the darkest winter-times, but have the midnight-sun (sunshine 24hrs) as compensation during the summer.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 1:35 PM   #5

wow the more i look at it ...the more i like it...very nice indeed
kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Bluenose and Hards80 -

Thank you both for your kind and understanding comments.

About the short sunlight-hours: The figure given (4-5 hrs) above are of course for wintertime only. My compensation for this lack of shooting-time in the cold season comes later, in spring and specially mid-summer. In June for instance, it's the other way around. Then we have only about 4-5 hours "night-time" (when the sun is not up) and then it gets tricky to shoot tru sun-rises, because you have to get up as early as 03:00 AM to catch one!!

Mind you, Norway is a big country stretching much farther north than my own place. North of the Polar-circle they have no daylight-hours at all for some 4-6 weeks during the darkest winter-times, but have the midnight-sun (sunshine 24hrs) as compensation during the summer.
Walter, thank you for this interesting information - when I saw the pic, I was wondering how the sunlight hours are in your place of Norway.

Talking 'bout the shot - I like it the warm mood it conveys, the smoke on the water is really nice to look at

BTW: We made a hundreds of snow-angels when we were kids - of course it's not that long ago as your childhood (and I don't want to say your old ), it's a nice memory that came back while watching at this photo!

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote