Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 6, 2010, 12:52 AM   #1
spy

Default My Friday Morning in the Fog

My eyes opened at 3am and it was a useless battle to keep them closed, but I lay there thinking where I was going to take my photographs. I knew the fog would be somewhere and wishing it would be where I wanted it wasn't helping me with my obvious lack of sleep. 3am turned into 4.....then 5am then I thought, 'what the heck', I finally just bolted out of bed, threw myself together and with a little help of a lot of adrenaline, out the door I flew with everything I needed,....well accept my gloves. Who needs gloves anyway when it's not really that cold.....right? It sounded good to me so I locked the door and I was in my car and off to TIM HORTONS for my much needed fix of caffine!

Now, at this point in time is when I tune into my local news/traffic reports/weather radio station and wouldn't you know it, they pointed me in the direction I was hoping the fog would be. With no time to lose and all tanked up with coffee, I kicked all two hundred and something horsepower into gear leaving everything else behind me. Oh yeah, even those GLOVES I didn't need.

Blazing down the highway I sped, with tunes cranked, head bobbing to the beat and gargling back the coffee, I knew I was good for at least until the next TIM HORTONS an hour out of town. Arriving there and needing to top up the much depleted coffee cup, the mercury dipped at least 15 degrees and as I stepped out of the car, I was wishing I had my gloves, but hey, I'll cross that bridge when I get there....WHERE'S MY REFILL??

Again, ready to go, off I went down the highway. Still dark with a full moon lighting the sky, I noticed a neat looking barn by the side of the road and after spending about 10 minutes photographing it, my hands now absolutely frozen I actually had freezer burned my hands trying to put my tripod back into the car! Aluminum is great but when frozen, it really sucks when you don't have gloves. I'll have to talk to my wife and ask her why she didn't put another pair in the car for me

The rest of the morning I kept doing the stop and go thing as I would notice something else to photograph but I eventually made it to the ghost town of Dorothy. Last time I was there was at night photographing the Milky Way Galaxy with the abandoned churches there. Not having seen it in the day light, it was a treat to see all the old buildings and stores that once serviced the town's people.

Here's a collection of some of the photos and feel free to comment.
Attached Images

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2010, 5:20 AM   #2

Fantastic set, the last being my favorite!! I see trees and fence lines all around me but never seem to come up with a composition like your #1 but I keep on trying. I enjoyed reading your story, sounds familiar to the rest of us who are laying there at 5 am waiting to go make photos.

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 10:55 AM   #3
spy

Thanks Bob, here's the barn on the side of the road I spoke of in my story. This scene was back lit by the moon and was front lit with the 580ex external speedlight freezing the ice crystals in mid air.

Kevin
www.poetryofmotion.com
Attached Images

Last edited by spy; Feb 6, 2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 12:58 PM   #4

Interesting story and amazing shots - I'm really wondering you you achieve this kind of b&w style in PS

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 1:18 PM   #5

Wonderful B&W's with this special 'spy-touch' to it. My favorites being #1, 2 (you should buy that barn and charge other photograpers a shooting-fee! ) and 4

Great story (don't I recognice some of the feelings...) and great pictures!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 1:24 PM   #6
spy

Thanks maggo!

There are 4 main elements to my editing. 1) a gut feeling/mood of what I'm wanting, 2) setting the exposure post edit to set the ground work for the mood, 3) finish up with some dodge and burn then, 4) I might add in some duo tone.

After awhile, it does become quite easy but it takes a ton of time at first to be able to translate what your feeling and create it on the monitor.

Kevin
Old Feb 6, 2010, 3:22 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Spy,

this set is absolutely gorgeous. Definitely worth the sleep deprivation and minor frostbite.

i really enjoy the mood created by all these shots.

but #2 just catches my eye, it is stunning, the contrast of the barn versus the cold snow and fog, i can just imagine walking up on this and seeing it appear out of the fog.

other random thoughts as i viewed the set.

#1, love the mood, enhanced by the cool toning.

#4 love the perspective with the highway

#5 i absolutely love the addition of the shadow here, gives this shot such great ambiance.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 4:25 PM   #8

A great set!
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 3:47 AM   #9

Great series of shots Spy
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 8:48 AM   #10

Beauty ! #1 for me.... I'm shivering here in my chair !

The PU dates the barn shot for me and adds too much reality... that old truck still putting out good heat for you ?

I wouldn't bring up the gloves to the Missus however.... Be Prepared !
Strobe is offline   Reply With Quote