Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 7, 2010, 12:05 AM   #1

Default Mystery at Second Marsh!

Hello all,

I am new to photography, I have only had my camera for about 3 weeks now. It is a Panasonic FZ-35. Anyways, I took a trip to the east side of Second Marsh in Oshawa, Ontario. I deviated from the path and found this dead corn field as well as some mysterious dirt hills and dirt fields. I have asked a bunch of people about it, no one seems to know why they are there! I took hundreds of photos and these are just a few of my favourites!

Let me know what you think about them, composition, or technical stuff, only way to learn!

Thanks!

If you want to see the rest, you can see them at http://www.flickr.com/photos/atarije...7623243770585/

Going down the Path

Mysterious Corn Field

Dirt Field and Dirt Hill from a hill on the east side of the Corn Field (left side of above photo)

Decided to try and get on top of the Dirt Hill!

Turns out there is a dirt road on this hill!

Where the Second Marsh and some Creek meet Lake Ontario (taken from on top of the dirt hill)

Walking back, towards the sunset!

AtariJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2010, 3:02 AM   #2

Some very nice landsape shots. Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 4:25 AM   #3

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtariJedi View Post
Hello all,

I am new to photography, I have only had my camera for about 3 weeks now. It is a Panasonic FZ-35. Anyways, I took a trip to the east side of Second Marsh in Oshawa, Ontario. I deviated from the path and found this dead corn field as well as some mysterious dirt hills and dirt fields. I have asked a bunch of people about it, no one seems to know why they are there! I took hundreds of photos and these are just a few of my favourites!

Let me know what you think about them, composition, or technical stuff, only way to learn!

Thanks!

If you want to see the rest, you can see them at http://www.flickr.com/photos/atarije...7623243770585/

Going down the Path

Mysterious Corn Field

Dirt Field and Dirt Hill from a hill on the east side of the Corn Field (left side of above photo)

Decided to try and get on top of the Dirt Hill!

Turns out there is a dirt road on this hill!

Where the Second Marsh and some Creek meet Lake Ontario (taken from on top of the dirt hill)

Walking back, towards the sunset!

AtariJedi,

It must be possible to solve the mystery. To me it seems like a piece of beautiful land heavily manipulated by man. Is it a mountain top removal to exploit natural resourses.

You managed very well with the compositions. Mastering light is a life long challenge

Torgny
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 8:38 AM   #4

Nice light !

It looks like a spoil pile.... fill dirt dredged and or stockpiled. Maybe from in and around that inlet in #6 ? Looks like the field has been graded too..... could be left over from that.

Most certainly put up with a dozer.... All appears to be too perfect not to have been touched by man...

Hard to believe a place this lovely never had anything built there.... could be how things look today after demolition and re-grading.

It looks well loved, even the tree on the road was pruned high up and a pretty penny spent on fencing !

The geese must love it !
Strobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 11:57 AM   #5

Looks as if you are near the lake so it could be that the ones farming are trying to grade it so the lake does not take over the land as well keep the vegetation intact. Here in Washington State there are farms near the inlets that allow only so much water to seep in they control the seep via the land piling dirt in a small hill around the fields some just let the winter water rise come along while during the summer the water goes out leaving the ground moist in the most part allows less watering from the pump source.. in the valley near Kent WA they grow Pumpkins now I know the water from the river over flows during the fall after harvest which is great for the left over pumpkins which are by then smashed and scattered around while most seed require or actually grow better in a cold hibernation way the seeds go thru winter and with out having to reseed the pumpkins will be there next year... Corn can be done this way as well rather than seeding every year..... as well as many others dont let those farmers fool you .
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 12:06 PM   #6

Suggestion

Use Google to see satalite images of the place. You will probably see more or a "pattern" to what was done.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 1:15 PM   #7

Atari, Im always in Oshawa shooting churches or murals. Lets meet at the coffee shop on the corner of Centre and King sometime.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 2:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Suggestion

Use Google to see satalite images of the place. You will probably see more or a "pattern" to what was done.

Dave
I've looked at the satellite imagery, all it shows is 2 corn fields, the dirt field used to be a corn field it seems, and that huge dirt hill wasn't there.

http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&ll=43...13937&t=h&z=17

Very strange!
Old Feb 7, 2010, 2:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpShotGal View Post
Looks as if you are near the lake so it could be that the ones farming are trying to grade it so the lake does not take over the land as well keep the vegetation intact. Here in Washington State there are farms near the inlets that allow only so much water to seep in they control the seep via the land piling dirt in a small hill around the fields some just let the winter water rise come along while during the summer the water goes out leaving the ground moist in the most part allows less watering from the pump source.. in the valley near Kent WA they grow Pumpkins now I know the water from the river over flows during the fall after harvest which is great for the left over pumpkins which are by then smashed and scattered around while most seed require or actually grow better in a cold hibernation way the seeds go thru winter and with out having to reseed the pumpkins will be there next year... Corn can be done this way as well rather than seeding every year..... as well as many others dont let those farmers fool you .
The field was way above the Lake, its Lake Ontario, so its height doesn't change very much. This was a short dirt hill, maybe 500ft, no where near the size of the field. I have no idea why it was there, plus there didn't seem to be any ready access for any sort of farmers. The field is surrounded by a Harbour on the west, a protected Marsh on the east, on the other side of the Marsh is GM Canada headquarters, and to the North is also part of the Marsh and to the South was Lake Ontario.

Very strange!
Old Feb 7, 2010, 2:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobe View Post
Nice light !

It looks like a spoil pile.... fill dirt dredged and or stockpiled. Maybe from in and around that inlet in #6 ? Looks like the field has been graded too..... could be left over from that.

Most certainly put up with a dozer.... All appears to be too perfect not to have been touched by man...

Hard to believe a place this lovely never had anything built there.... could be how things look today after demolition and re-grading.

It looks well loved, even the tree on the road was pruned high up and a pretty penny spent on fencing !

The geese must love it !
The path goes to a Protected Marsh/Nature Reserve, it surrounds the east and north sides of that Field, to the south is Lake Ontario and to the west is the Oshawa Harbour.