Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 9, 2010, 2:18 AM   #1

Default Oahu east end from the sand bar at Manualua Bay.

This panorama was stitched from 8 shots using Photoshop Elements.
The shots were taken about 100 yards off shore standing in the ocean at low tide and covers about 200 degrees.
Diamond Head is on the far left and Koko Crater followed by Koko Ridge with China Walls at the tip is on the far right.
The east end of the Koolau mountain chain is in the center of the picture with Kuliouou Valley mid center.
During very low tide the water level at the eastern end of the Bay is less than a foot for over 150 yards off shore.
Much of this is due to silting caused by a huge storm several years ago that dumped huge quantities of dirt into the Bay.
This has threatened the native coral reef and is also causing the incursion of alien algae species which overwhelm the more naturally occuring species.

The pciture is quite large, my apologies but the scene is a very expansive scene.

Last edited by selvin; Feb 9, 2010 at 2:22 AM.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2010, 7:09 AM   #2

Nice job Selvin. My only question is how were you able to get it to stay as wide as it is. I thought the site always reduced our uploads to fit. I dont mind scrolling if its for a panorama.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 8:57 PM   #3

Bynx,
Thanks for your comment. The decision to try and insert this large a photo was based on the fact that smaller sizes really didn't do justice to the scene. This took several tries.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:09 PM   #4

Glad you got it to fit. Very nice. I would love to get to Hawaii some day.

Andy
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 3:42 PM   #5

That's an absolutely amazing pano, selvin! Very well done!

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 5:22 AM   #6

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvin View Post
This panorama was stitched from 8 shots using Photoshop Elements.
The shots were taken about 100 yards off shore standing in the ocean at low tide and covers about 200 degrees.
Diamond Head is on the far left and Koko Crater followed by Koko Ridge with China Walls at the tip is on the far right.
The east end of the Koolau mountain chain is in the center of the picture with Kuliouou Valley mid center.
During very low tide the water level at the eastern end of the Bay is less than a foot for over 150 yards off shore.
Much of this is due to silting caused by a huge storm several years ago that dumped huge quantities of dirt into the Bay.
This has threatened the native coral reef and is also causing the incursion of alien algae species which overwhelm the more naturally occuring species.

The pciture is quite large, my apologies but the scene is a very expansive scene.
selvin,

Impressive panorama, natural looking daytime picture. Never tried stitching but this picture inspires me to give it a try. Tried vertical panorama once with not so good result

Seems you have to do a "salto mortale" in slow motion

Torgny
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:09 PM   #7

Maggo85, Torgny, Griffina6,

Thanks for your comments. I've been trying panoramas since 2004 and like most others have multiple attempts failed miserably. I just keep plugging away and get a few gems every now and then. The tide conditions and skies were just right.
Taking a series of shots with waves is problematical with panorama stitching so you really have to snap away.
Aloha