Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:39 PM   #11

Default Snow in Hell... Hell's Kitchen, that is.

Thank you all for your kind words, comments, and compliments!

The shots were taken from the New Jersey (Hudson River) side. We haven't tried taking pictures from the New York (East River) side so I don't know which one is "better". But the colorful lights you see in #2 are the lights from Broadway and Times Square. I don’t think those lights will be visible from the NY side.

I imagine the view from the NY side would instead be the more classical view, that is, a skyline of mostly black building silhouettes with hundreds and hundreds of tiny lit windows that you probably can't tell if the picture's in color or black and white or taken in the 1920s or today.

The New Jersey shore along the Hudson River and across midtown Manhattan consists of rocky cliffs. The place we took pictures from is JFK blvd along the edge of such a cliff. Weehawken with an elevation of 144 feet gives its residents a spectacular view of the New York City skyline. We simply parked on a side street (free parking) once we caught sight of the skyline then walked to JFK blvd.

In the foreground of #2, somewhere between the tall, colorfully-lit buildings and the well-lit piers is a neighborhood consisting of mostly low-rise, pre-war buildings, brownstones, and tenements called "Hell's Kitchen". Gangsters and prostitution ran rampant there in the old days but has since been cleaned up starting in the early 90s. It is now a place to find cheap rent for starving Broadway actors and actresses.

I used to work in Hell's Kitchen in the early 90s and as early as 3 pm, I'd see early bird prostitutes walking along Tenth Avenue in their skimpy skirts, heavy makeups, and tiny little purses where I presume they keep their day's take.

According to one website (http://www.metropolisapts.com/Hells-Kitchen.aspx), considerable advances have been made in cleaning up Hell’s Kitchen. I agree. We park our car there on the street on Sundays when parking is free and in a parking garage on Saturdays which is still also cheap compared to almost all other places in Manhattan whenever the family takes a trip to the city.

But according to the same website, move not too far south and west from Broadway and you’ll see a different part of Hell’s Kitchen where the area is gritty and sketchy and consisting mostly of industrial buildings. Translation: you’ll find yourself walking at night along sparsely-lit stretches of long abandoned streets with not a soul in sight. If you can make it out of there alive then and only then can you say -- with an air of detached indifference -- that you’ve been to New York City.

#3. Fish Market in Hell's Kitchen

#4. Street in Hell's Kitchen.

#5. Avenue in Hell's Kitchen.

#6. Barber Shop in Hell's Kitchen.

#7. Theater in Hell's Kitchen.

All photos taken today. C&C welcome. Thank you for looking!

Last edited by vvcarpio; Feb 16, 2010 at 1:01 PM. Reason: Forgot an "and"
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:37 PM   #12

I added three more pics.

#8. A parking lot in Hell's Kitchen on 9th Avenue and 38th Street -- southwest of Times Square where many buildings are "industrial".

#9. Manganaro's Restaurant. Back when I worked in Hell's Kitchen, we sometimes went to Manganaro's for lunch, a restaurant that has been in business for over 100 years and famous for its 6-foot hero sub. That's "foot" not "inch". (One time the company bought the 6-foot sub for lunch when we were asked to work on a Saturday.) And even if you don't order the 6-foot sub, you still get a big sandwich for your money.

#10. View from mouth of the Lincoln Tunnel -- also in Hell's Kitchen -- near St. Raphael's Church.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Feb 17, 2010 at 9:42 PM. Reason: Added one more pic.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:01 PM   #13

VV,

Thanks for using the proper name of Hell's Kitchen, not the real estate guys trying to clean up the name with "Clinton". Like they are trying to call the Meat Market the "meat packing district", shoot it is still a working meat market, and on a nice summer night on friday and saturday. It is a meat market of a different kind with all the high maintenance women running around the clubs, bars and restaurants.

Very nice series.

But you have to admit, in the early 90 with all the prostitution and other character romping around the street. It did give it a interesting take on things.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:14 PM   #14

Thanks, shoturtle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post

But you have to admit, in the early 90 with all the prostitution and other character romping around the street. It did give it a interesting take on things.
Yes they did put an interesting take on things. I guess they're "sinful". But they never bothered me.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:27 AM   #15

Very nice. I love #2. The close up of the NYC skyline never ceases to impress.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:43 AM   #16

Never heard about "Hell's Kitchen" - now it's on my list for August

These photos are all really nice vv, thank you very much for posting so many NYC shots

BTW, I'm not sure if you mentioned it in another thread: I know these are all HDR's done with DPHDR, but do you always shoot 3 or 5 exposures of one scene or just one RAW or JPEG?

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:26 AM   #17

Thanks, Walter. #2 is my wife's shot . (#1 with the warehouse is mine.)

I also uploaded a panorama-stitch I made below. I think tinypic.com however is also reducing resolution. Which is fine, according to my son who is taking up computer graphics in HS, because anyone who steals them can’t do much to make better-looking versions .

#11.

I was inspired by mtngal’s panorama. However, I didn't have time to experiment with portrait mode shots -- it was cold and we had to take as many shots as we can before our as-- I mean bodies froze . Maybe in the summer.

maggo85, you don't have to go very far -- you just have to walk one or two blocks west from Times Square and you’re in Hell’s Kitchen.

Hell's Kitchen is actually pretty tame compared to other neighborhoods in Manhattan. I was actually surprised the website/article had to sound foreboding towards the end. I keep hearing Washington Heights (where Alan Greenspan was born and raised) way up north is among the worst -- if not the worst -- neighborhoods in Manhattan today. I'd be more nervous driving through Harlem during the day (although I'm probably just naive because of the many people I see just hanging out in the streets) than walking the streets alone at night in Hell's Kitchen. I think anything south of Central Park is pretty tame. The website/article probably had to drop words like "sketchy" and "gritty" so as not to lure the unwitting tourist into dropping his or her guards down -- any more than he or she would anywhere else, I would add.

To answer your question, yes, I use DPHDR and I always use a 3-bracketed set of shots. Sometimes I’d follow the set with another 3-bracketed set of slower or faster shutter speed depending on if the scene is dark or bright. I do that only to make sure I have frames that are not overblown (sun, light bulbs, brightly-lit objects, etc.) or lack detail (dark spots and corners), just in case. But I’m still on the experimental stage so whenever I include frames from my extra bracket I see no discernible difference in my results. Maybe I have to adjust sliders a bit more bravely. Anyway, I don’t use RAW because so far I’m happy with my JPEG edits. Besides, my camera takes a longer time to "reload" between shots trying to save the bigger RAW files.

I hope this helps (instead of confuse ).

Last edited by vvcarpio; Feb 18, 2010 at 8:27 AM. Reason: Forgot to number (#11) the panorama-stitch.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 3:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Thanks, Walter. #2 is my wife's shot . (#1 with the warehouse is mine.)

I also uploaded a panorama-stitch I made below. I think tinypic.com however is also reducing resolution. Which is fine, according to my son who is taking up computer graphics in HS, because anyone who steals them canít do much to make better-looking versions .

I was inspired by mtngalís panorama. However, I didn't have time to experiment with portrait mode shots -- it was cold and we had to take as many shots as we can before our as-- I mean bodies froze . Maybe in the summer.
WOW vv - this is one amazing pano!! I just love the colors... stunning

Quote:
maggo85, you don't have to go very far -- you just have to walk one or two blocks west from Times Square and youíre in Hellís Kitchen.

Hell's Kitchen is actually pretty tame compared to other neighborhoods in Manhattan. I was actually surprised the website/article had to sound foreboding towards the end. I keep hearing Washington Heights (where Alan Greenspan was born and raised) way up north is among the worst -- if not the worst -- neighborhoods in Manhattan today. I'd be more nervous driving through Harlem during the day (although I'm probably just naive because of the many people I see just hanging out in the streets) than walking the streets alone at night in Hell's Kitchen. I think anything south of Central Park is pretty tame. The website/article probably had to drop words like "sketchy" and "gritty" so as not to lure the unwitting tourist into dropping his or her guards down -- any more than he or she would anywhere else, I would add.
That's interesting to read - thank you very much for these informations!

Quote:
To answer your question, yes, I use DPHDR and I always use a 3-bracketed set of shots. Sometimes Iíd follow the set with another 3-bracketed set of slower or faster shutter speed depending on if the scene is dark or bright. I do that only to make sure I have frames that are not overblown (sun, light bulbs, brightly-lit objects, etc.) or lack detail (dark spots and corners), just in case. But Iím still on the experimental stage so whenever I include frames from my extra bracket I see no discernible difference in my results. Maybe I have to adjust sliders a bit more bravely. Anyway, I donít use RAW because so far Iím happy with my JPEG edits. Besides, my camera takes a longer time to "reload" between shots trying to save the bigger RAW files.

I hope this helps (instead of confuse ).
This helps a lot

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote