Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:12 PM   #1
spy

Default On top of it all....

This little traffic helicopter had a view to die for!
I left the house this morning and noticed we were under another blanket of thick fog. Calgary has a number of high points to drive to but my gut was telling me to go to a park nearby. Driving up to the end of the parking lot which overlooks the city, the sun and fog was so bright I turned around and was driving away until I noticed just under the sun were these waves in the clouds.

I turned around and drove back up to the end of the parking lot, set up the camera using my 70 - 200 and screwed on the 4 stop ND filter and had another look. I also set the exposure as far left of centre as possible and set the ISO's to 50 which cut down on the highlights as well.

Just when I was ready to take the photo the city traffic helicopter came into frame which completed the photo nicely.
Attached Images

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:19 PM   #2

Only one word can describe this -- WOW!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:45 PM   #3

yep. I'll second that Wow.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 2:34 PM   #4

Default Staggering?

I am speechless and lacking of superlatives. Normal words do not justice to you picture.

What more can I say....?

Well, you have a natural 'nose' for exceptional visual happenings and eyes beyound description!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 4:39 PM   #5

I am at loss for words... Unbelievable... that top layer just seems hard to believe... just absolutely amazing... This is ONE short worth the driving and all the effort. Just can't say anything more... other than FRAME IT!

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 5:35 PM   #6
spy

Thanks everyone! I truly am honored by your comments.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 6:51 PM   #7

Stunning!!!! You make it look so easy too.
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 6:59 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Kevin, please stop it, you are making the rest of us look bad

Astounding work as ever! When can we expect your book to be published?

I'm guessing there are mountains or hills out to the left??
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 7:24 PM   #9
spy

Thanks Shutterbug74 and Mark. All I do is listen to that 'inner voice' that notices a scene worth photographing when I'm driving around. If I get that tug inside then I know it's going to be a good one. Most times, for me, that tug happens before I've even had a chance to look at what it is or when I've seen it and I'm driving away.

The photo I posted "Rolling Fog - The Wall", I was driving along with the fog wall to my left but it was hidden by a hill and all I could see was just the upper edge of the fog. I kept driving but this 'voice' inside tugged at me and said to "turn around go back to it". I ignored it and kept driving and the more I drove the louder the voice got. After several miles of driving away from it, I couldn't stand it any longer so I stopped and turned around only to arrive back in time to take the perfect shot.

This morning, after wondering where to go, that small 'voice' inside prompted me to go to the Park on the hill about 10 minutes away. I got up top only to see that it was so bright and very hard to make out any details and was driving away when the urge to go back up the hill was just to strong to ignore.

Having a keen sense and an ability to listen to that creative part inside is key to finding amazing scenes. It is the "eyes beyond description" as Walter S stated. It is spiritual for me...these scenes are gifts given from above and they're all time with my creator.

Mark, out to the left is all flat land. The photo is looking east which is dead flat and nothing but farm land. Under the fog is the city of Calgary with the mountains to my back side looking west.

Kevin
Old Feb 22, 2010, 6:44 AM   #10

Kevin, I think I'll give you my address so I can be the first one to receive a copy of your book

Man, this shot is just - wow! I've never seen something like these "cloud-waves"... and then the helicopter... your work is just breathtaking!

STUNNING!!!

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote