Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:23 PM   #1
spy

Default Photographing Star Trails/Milky Way Galaxy

I've recently written an article on the subject as it is a favourite passion of mine. I recall how difficult it was trying this type of photography and also remember how hard it was to find articles that gave clear and concise instructions on how to do it. The article I wrote addresses everything you need to know on how to make amazing photos of the Milky Way so come on over and have a read and let me know what you think!

http://www.bytephoto.com/forums/show...?threadid=7135
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:27 PM   #2

know what i am doing with my weekend!
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:44 PM   #3
spy

Excellent choice!!
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:08 AM   #4

bah humbug, its cloudy tonight
Old Feb 26, 2010, 1:29 AM   #5

Wow, very, very impressive pictures... Gives me some ideas. Thanks for the link!

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 1:51 AM   #6

i have a filed, that has 0 traffic, what would i want my fstop at for a 40 min shot?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 8:31 AM   #7
spy

Note sure what "i have a filed, that has 0 traffic".... means??? Did you mean "field"?

One key ingredient to a successful long star trail exposure is that you MUST have NO MOON. If there is anything resembling a moon in the sky, your long night shot will look as if you took it during the day and any clouds in the sky will show very bright.

Always remember your ISO's effect "highlights", your whites and setting your exposure bar will effect "shadows", your darks. So if your in a field with no traffic, are there towns and cities nearby that give off light pollution? If so, your ISO settings will create a bright horizon where the light is coming from. If there is absolutely no light coming from anywhere then try a 40 minute shot at your widest aperture (small number) and ISO's at 400. It's a long time to sit around to wait and see if the shot works which is why I recommend "stacking" a multitude of 30 second shots to create the star trail photo your wanting.

If you do it that way, then depending on the camera type examples I provided in my article, set your ISO's accordingly and see what the image looks like after 30 seconds. Make minor adjustments if need be then load up the card and stack them at home.

Have fun with it!

If you check out my night photography gallery, the ones in there that look like daylight is as a result of the moon giving it's light.

Kevin
www.poetryofmotion.com
Old Feb 26, 2010, 9:07 AM   #8

Very interesting article and "how-to" lesson, Kevin. I am sure lots of Steve's photographers will take to the dark in the coming nights now and scare the hell out of both wolves and other wild animals (thank god for bears are in hibernation now!) as they set up tripods all over the place....

I'll have to read the section about exposure-stacking a second (and probably third and fourth time as well...) time to digest exactly what you are doing. Not so easy for someone only shooting JPEG's. I sure want to do the things you have done so masterly. Wintertime in the northern latitudes should be perfect for this kind of shooting.

Thanks again for your effort!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:17 AM   #9
Super Moderator

great write-up Spy, you condensed alot of knowledge into a very brief and readable article.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 6:23 PM   #10
spy

Thanks for taking the time to read it. Keeping it brief is key to keeping ones attention. Don't want anyone falling asleep and banging their head onto their keyboard!

Walter, when I first heard of stacking multiple images together, I had no idea what that meant. So when I went out to do my second try of star trails I knew I wanted to try the stacking thing so I just filled up the card and learned how to do it later.