Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 28, 2010, 8:33 AM   #1

Default Calm After the (Record-breaking Winter) Storm

We had record breaking winter storm in New York City and parts of upstate New York (where I live). The TV news says we got 32 inches but on my front yard alone there's definitely more than 3 feet. My mailbox is almost buried in it.

Anyway, the morning after the two-day storm I looked out the window and saw a pretty sky -- partly cloudy and orange-tinged -- so remembering pbjunkiee’s “sunsets are over rated” thread I went out to take some photos.

But I had to change first and have a quick breakfast so by the time I got out and shoveled my driveway clear of snow, the sky’s orange tinge was nearly gone.

Still, it was replaced by a deep blue sky with “balmy” outdoor temperatures to boot which to a storm-weary populace such as my town’s is a much needed treat.

#1. My street. These are the skies that greeted me in our bedroom window.

#2. The road that leads to Circleville.

#3. View of the northeast from Scotchtown.

#4. View from the Circleville Fire Station parking lot.

#5. Lake Henneside in Circleville.

#6. My tripod’s legs and my own legs were in 3 feet of snow while taking these shots.

#7. Circleville Town Park beside Lake Henneside.

#8. Looking back to where I came from – the entrance to the park.

#9. Playground in Circleville Town Park. I manage to make the “glittering diamonds” on the snow appear like in many of Walter S’ photographs so naturally I’m proud .

When I arrived at Circleville Town Park, the parking lot was just being cleared and pretty much still entirely covered in three feet of snow. I parked my car to one side and walked over to the snow plow’s (a pickup truck with a bulldozer blade attachment) driver chatting with another driver in his snow plow my already-mounted camera on my tripod in my arms and asked if my car would be in the way. He said “no” then changed his mind saying “You know what, park over here because the big truck might come. I’ll clear some space for you.”

I didn’t expect to be welcomed so nicely. I actually thought I’d be a nuisance to their early morning break. But there he was, being disrupted from his chat with his buddy, walking back into his snowplow, and actually clearing space for me.

Later, while I had my legs planted in the snow embankment to get out the way of his buddy’s snow plow, his buddy yelled at me, “Having fun?”

Then I thought maybe these town workers sometimes wonder why they come out to work so early in the morning and after a winter storm at that when no one would be around anyway. If it weren’t for the town officials ordering them to do so, why bother?

And so anyone who shows up -- a “nature photographer” like me, a man and a woman walking their dog, or a dad and his kid with a sled -- would make their hard work feel all so worth it. With the sun beaming bright, and the storm and all that shoveling behind me, I set out to take pictures. It’s always good to meet people who are proud in their line of work.

C&C welcome. Thank you for looking!

Last edited by vvcarpio; Feb 28, 2010 at 8:50 AM.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2010, 8:43 AM   #2

I really like what you did with #8! Really nice work with the composition, especially the trees... the sun is remarkable! Very, very nice shot.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 8:53 AM   #3

Default You have done well here, vvcarpio!

Very good and enjoyable series of winter-pictures of your 'world'. I like that. You are getting the hang of photographing snow and to show the texture of snow, which is equally difficult. Snow has many faces, its not just a white blanket. You have shown us many of those faces. Great story too.

If you must know which ones appeal particuilarly to my senses:

- Foremost # 2 with that delightful and warm sunny patch in the distant and the lovely winding of that road. And the colors, the colors, the colors! Cold and warm. Astounding perspective! ;-)
- # 4 for the snow-texture!
- # 6 for composition.
- # 8 for the fairytale-scene (I would have cropped the demanding two, slightly heavy tre-trunks on the right).
- # 9 for the guts to shoot directly at this strong winter-sun. The snow in the foreground is somwhat 'heavy' (dark) but you have cought some 'diamond-sparcle' as you said.
And its # 1 - Which is not a special 'great photo' - but it gives such a friendly (despite the scene of heavy snow) and delightful picture of your suburb.

Thats almost all of them, isn't it...?

Well done, vvcarpio!

Last edited by Walter_S; Feb 28, 2010 at 11:57 AM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:24 AM   #4

Excellent series!!!! I think you have something very special in photo #2! I did a quick edit taking out one of the overhanging branches, with your permission I will post it for you to consider.

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:44 AM   #5

Thanks, Ned! Yes, that sun was shining on my eyes I actually couldn't see what I was shooting at .

Thanks, Walter! Those are very encouraging (to say the least) words! I agree with your comments -- heavy tree trunks and foreground snow needing more light.

Thanks, Bob! Now that you mention it, I do see some overhanging branches. Please feel free to edit and post -- I'm curious now .
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:46 AM   #6

Here is that edit. I just love this photo!

Bob

Last edited by bhammitt; Jun 4, 2010 at 9:29 PM.
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:57 AM   #7

Very nice edit. Now that I compare the two, that overhanging tree branch seems very disconcerting . Thanks, Bob!

Yes, that road looks pretty all year round.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:03 AM   #8

vvcarpio, if you look at photos 5 and 6, the snow looks very white and clean... if you compare these to 8 (a picture I really like) and especially 9, the snow (white) is no so clean-looking... What causes the change in the colouration of the snow?

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:10 AM   #9
Super Moderator

i really like this set vv

#2 i love this shot, well composed, bob's edit helps too
#4 like the texture of the sky and expansive snow, the lone street sign
#6 is just lovely, i like this scene alot and i prefer this view to #5
#8 crop off the right a bit, otherwise a very interesting scene and works well even shooting into the sun
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:23 AM   #10

I quite enjoyed #2 and #8 the most. However, all the photos were wonderful winter scene's.
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote