Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 5, 2010, 2:48 PM   #21

I'm not trying to start a discussion about if HDR is good or bad, just that I find that HDR processing has a tendency to sometimes make certain textures noisy, and I therefore thought that it might be a good thing to try and process them in e.g. PS. It usually takes longer time, but sometimes it's worth it.

I've used HDR processing regularly myself for some time, but I have tried going back to only PS lately to see what I can do there. But that doesn't mean I'll stop using HDR processing, just that I find some pictures are just not HDR "food" and that they can be processed into something nice in PS.

Btw, do you take jpg or raw pictures? The reason I ask is that if you take jpg then working with one picture in e.g. PS will never (I know, never say never) produce the same dynamic result as you'll get with HDR processing.
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 3:32 PM   #22

Thanks, Alasdair!

No I have not done much shooting in RAW mainly because the files are big and it slows down my shooting. Sometimes, even with JPEG, I shoot brackets in rapid succession that the second or third set don't complete because the camera is still saving the previous set. And that's just JPEG.

But I have not dismissed shooting in RAW. I have just pushed experimenting with it for later.

This is why steves-digicams is so useful to me. The influx of ideas is faster than I can implement them.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 3:36 PM   #23

VV,

sdhc class 10 card from transcend it is 25 dollars at newegg.com for a 8gb. It will allow you to save the brackets way faster. And improve you time for the second and third set.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 3:55 PM   #24

I was actually wondering if so-claimed faster flash memories work as advertised. Thanks, shoturtle -- I'll order one.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 4:16 PM   #25

Yes they are faster.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:49 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Yes they are faster.
shoturtle, I didn't pay attention to the speces you posted saying "sdhc class 10". My camera uses CompactFlash. My memory card is rated 133x. There's a 233x on newegg but doesn't have good reviews. I think there is a 300x one but costs $80. I'm afraid sky's not the limit for my purchases so I'll wait till prices come down.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 2:27 AM   #27

Default Hello vvcarpio!

It took me a while to get here, because other priorities prevent me from being online as much as before - and there is generally so much to look at nowadays. Steve's forums have become more busy with new threads lately and new posts are shooting up every day now.

Anyway - your first HDR with the "grunch" does not work for me. I think you should save the "grunch"-look for other motives, just not where a lot of foilage and tre-branches are involved. Also, IMO the slight 'over-detailed' buisy look in the foilage stems from too much, or maybe the wrong type, of sharpening.

In that respect, your second set is much better.

As to your question in: #15. Does anyone think this is overdone? - My personal reaction is - yes! Its over the top to be pleasant to look at. The water is all right, the foilage is too buisy and the window-frame looks dirty, and the outside looks too prominent - again, I think this is partly due to wrong 'light-smoothing'-values and partly to sharpening applied.

I normally do not apply sharpening at all to pictures where there are a lot of bare branches in trees (typical now during winter-time) against a light or blue sky. Sharpening applies something unpleasant to my eyes anyway. IMO it is better to have a smooth (more natural looking) scene then a sharp one with irritating artifact (my eyes get drawn to them in a negative way) to the branches.

So far you have mainly done city-scapes with buildings and straight lines, where your "grunche-type" HDR works, but heavily populated and dense foilage probably needs a different approach?

While we are on the subject of "Grunch"-settings in Photomatix. I never use these pre-set settings. I find my own and if successful, I save my settings for later to be loaded any time I want to. You know that Photomatix let's you safe you own settings for later use?

Best of luck!

Last edited by Walter_S; Mar 9, 2010 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Changed "bloe" to "blue"....!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 7:27 AM   #28

Thanks a lot, Walter, for taking the time to comment! I guess the consensus is to use "grunge" sparingly, if at all.

To be honest, though, I used it on just about every situation you mentioned and personally I loved it. I used grunge on a friend's house which another friend was awed saying it reminded him of Alice in Wonderland. When I used grunge on the indoor garden and showed it to my wife I tried to lead her to not to like it saying, "It's no good I'll just use DPHDR", but she emphatically replied, "No, it's good! Keep it!" then started making suggestions on composition. I even used grunge on myself which made me look 20 years older and I still liked it (and it awed another friend).

So I'm wondering, maybe steves-digicamers are deep down inside photographers at heart and so are honed to recognizing a gimmick (in photography) when they see one and are naturally instantly appalled by it?

Or maybe the grunge tone map is really garrish and was simply meant to show what the Photomatix engine can do when pushed to its limits?

But I think it's just me and my friends who know I'm a geek and the way I present my pics is like, "Hey look at what this piece of software did to my pic!" and so in a way we're not really praising my pic but are being impressed by the current technologies.

In any case, all input is valued. Someday I will "scale up" as we call it in IT and will remember the wise words I read here.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Mar 9, 2010 at 7:29 AM. Reason: Added question marks because they're really questions
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
shoturtle, I didn't pay attention to the speces you posted saying "sdhc class 10". My camera uses CompactFlash. My memory card is rated 133x. There's a 233x on newegg but doesn't have good reviews. I think there is a 300x one but costs $80. I'm afraid sky's not the limit for my purchases so I'll wait till prices come down.
Well you can get 600x compact flash, they are super fast, way faster then sdhc. They are a bit pricey, but I have used them at work for none photo stuff, and they are wick fast.

Transcend 8gb 600x cf is about 100 bucks at newegg.com
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:41 PM   #30

We have used 300X cards at work before the 600x, and they are pretty fast, you will get 40mbs range in performance.