Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:20 PM   #1

Default Ashokan Reservoir in the Catskills

Weather is turning very gorgeous in NY -- it's 58 degrees today (freezing is 32) -- so my wife and I took pictures upstate before all the snow melted. Officially it's still winter but it may as well be already spring.

#1. We took Samsonville Road to get to Ashokan Reservoir (we simply followed our GPS) and was treated to scenic spots along the backroads we took.

#2. Samsonville Road -- closer view of the barn.

#3. We stopped every now and then along Samsonville Road to take in the scenery and take pictures. When my wife was seated on the river bank taking pictures, I heard something rattle. I didn't see any rattlesnakes so I didn't want to alarm her. I just said, "Vi, I thought I heard something." It took a moment for her to realize which sound I meant and then instantly climbed back up.

#4. Ashokan Reservoir. This is one of the reservoirs that supply New York City with water. It is in the town of Olivebridge in the Catstkills.

#5. Reservoir Road -- Ashokan Reservoir is on the left. People stroll or ride bikes to get to the other end. That's my wife in the green jacket.

#6. But you don't really have to walk the entire length of Reservoir Road if you just want to see what's on the other end. You can drive around the lake to reach it. This river (or stream?) is past Ashokan Reservoir (not too far) along the road that goes around the lake.

#7. This brook eventually leads to the river (or stream). My wife saw a kingfisher bird (we think) skim down the surface then flew back up with a fish on its beak. I saw another one, too, but couldn't make out if it caught a fish.

#8. Approach to the other end of Reservoir Road. Reservoir Road is in the distance to the right.

#9. Parking lot. With no McDonald’s or commercial establishments for miles around, this porta-potty is a godsend.

C&C welcome. Thank you for looking!
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:27 PM   #2

Nice photos, as always, but #4 and #6 draw my attention... All the photos are clear... great snow. You captured the rushing water in such a way to show good flow... it is neither cream, or frozen in motion... very good work there. #3 was great, loved what you did with the reflections in the water. #2, I would have either backed up a hair or something, you have such a love picture, but in my opinion, the red barn could use a little more land below in the foreground. Lovely colour in all of them! Many thanks. Enjoyed your sharing them. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:42 PM   #3

Thanks a lot, Ned. I appreciate your comments and kind words! #3 and #2 are my wife's.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 5:58 PM   #4
Super Moderator

the road shots are quite nice, i really like shot #5. its a great perspective and the people included give it a nice sense of scale.

#4 is nice, but it look like you might have pulled the shadows up a little bit too far, the treeline looks a little noisy and unnatural.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:20 PM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Beautiful compositions VV...not sure about that last one though..the porta pottie jumps out at me as the main subject

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:24 PM   #6

Very nice series, I have to agree with jelpee, the port-a-john could have been left out of the series. There are some very nice motorcycle road up there. It a nice relaxing weekend trip.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 8:35 PM   #7

Other than for documentary purposes (which I thought were also important), I didn't think much of the roads. Thanks, Hards80, for saying it gives a sense of scale. I'll think of that whenever I take pictures in the future.

Regarding the tree line, yes I think they're unnatural, too. For all images, I used DPHDR. But I also ran most of them on Photomatix. I saw what Photomatix did for #4, liked it, and so tried to mimic it with PSE. I thought I came very close -- except for the treeline.

#10. Photomatix version using "painterly" tone-map.

Thanks, Jehan and shoturtle, for your compliments. Regarding the last pic, I thought that was the most important in the series. A friend of mine once told me that a place like Ashokan Reservoir can be my own big comfort room. I'll spare you the details but the day we went there, I could hug that porta-potty just for being there.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Mar 9, 2010 at 8:43 PM. Reason: Changed to "I won't go into..." to "I'll spare you the..."
Old Mar 9, 2010, 8:52 PM   #8
Super Moderator

how bout a combination of both, plus a little selective sharpen and blur, and some minor edits to even out the sky.
Attached Images

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 8:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
how bout a combination of both, plus a little selective sharpen and blur, and some minor edits to even out the sky.
That's a very nice edit -- I like it! I always liked something in Photomatix and liked something else in DPHDR and always lamented the fact that one or the other didn't have both. I never thought of combining them on my own .

Last edited by vvcarpio; Mar 9, 2010 at 9:01 PM. Reason: Typo on "that" instead of "the"
Old Mar 10, 2010, 1:04 AM   #10

The last picture would also make a nice panorama, little less sky and foreground... take look by just using your hands with the pictures above. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote