Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:21 AM   #1

Default Need Help with Stars

Ok, been testing out the chdk on my a720is and using it to take pics of stars.

there are some goodish ones, some not so goodish ones.

the majority of the pics were taken with a 2800iso (using the chdk) and exposure time of between 25 and 32 seconds. cant remember per picture, was just experimenting which worked better etc. also cant remember which ones, but half were taken with wide angle, half with tele photo

all pictures were taken manually, and im wondering if maybe the reason why a couple of the pic's stars have gone into light rectangles is down to when i push the button on the camera. but i cant see how that would effect is that much. Oh and i was using a tripod. (last 2 pictures)

oh and one thing i couldnt get my head around, how some were and some arent in focus...

so any tips/pointers/ideas etc?

Ok, The better pics...

1)
2)
3)
4)

The getting bad to bad pics....

5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

11) better (well worse if you get what i mean lol) of the 'rectangle' stars

cheers for anyones help/comments

Last edited by jasonholland89; Mar 22, 2010 at 9:07 AM.
jasonholland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:29 AM   #2
Super Moderator

The reason for them moving to rectangles is probably the movement of the earth in this time period.

For the best information on shooting stars check out this thread Photographing Star Trails/Milky Way Galaxy

I would also look at other posts from Spy as he has some great night work.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:39 AM   #3

it cant be the movement of the earth.... when the earth moves and you take a long exposure, the star drags across the sky like a meteor, the earth doesnt jig about in the shape of square while orbiting the sun.. well ive never heard of the earch dancing anyway lol... cheers for the link tho
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:41 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Ah, I didn't look at the right photo, I see what you mean now, and possibly it could be wind or some other movement in the tripod but not totally sure as it is not really a shake. Hmmm......
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonholland89 View Post
Ok, been testing out the chdk on my a720is and using it to take pics of stars.

there are some goodish ones, some not so goodish ones.
Not my kind of photography, so I wont comment on the merits of these shots. But I do have two suggestions.

First, the camera "EXIF" data will tell you the settings for each shot. This is important to find, since only then will you know what you did right, or what you did wrong.

Second, there is a lot of noise in these shots - Run them through some sort of noise removal program, that alone will eliminate distractions and improve the images dramatically.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 5:16 PM   #6

cheers dave, you have any you might recommend?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonholland89 View Post
cheers dave, you have any you might recommend?
Noise Ninja, Noiseware Professional, Neat Image, which ever is cheaper. I own all three and prefer Noise Ninja, but that's probably because I started with Noise Ninja - Any of them will get rid of the noise without impacting on the image.

The result will be a clear crisp night, filled with stars and any defects you choose to leave in...

If you like I'll run these thumbails through the program for two of the images to give you an idea. Not a great test, because they are thumbnails...

Dave

Last edited by Chato; Mar 22, 2010 at 6:21 PM.
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:23 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Noise Ninja, Noiseware Professional, Neat Image, which ever is cheaper. I own all three and prefer Noise Ninja, but that's probably because I started with Noise Ninja - Any of them will get rid of the noise without impacting on the image.

The result will be a clear crisp night, filled with stars and any defects you choose to leave in...
I wouldn't go quite as far to say they won't impact on the image, as some detail is lost but that is the price we pay for this process. The majority of the detail will be left behind and getting the settings right so that you have a good balance is key.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post

If you like I'll run these thumbails through the program for two of the images to give you an idea. Not a great test, because they are thumbnails...

Dave

yeah would love to see what you can make of any of them.

2 high res versions for you in these links if ud rather them than thumbnails.

http://tinypic.com/m/9k9qox/4
http://tinypic.com/m/9k9qow/4
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:06 PM   #10

Can I ask a stupid question?

Was the IS turn off when shooting on the tripod?