Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:34 AM   #1

Default Tudor City, New York

Some photos I took in Tudor City. Tudor City is probably the best place to take pictures of the UN Building in New York. It is also a quaint and quiet little "city" with nice walks and views and friendly neighborhood shops, delis, and even its own bicycle shop.

#1. Tudor City

#2. Bridge across 42nd Street probably offers best view of UN Building.

#3. Bicycles in Tudor City

#4. Convivio "Rustic Southern Italian" Restaurant

#5. Tenement Building Door in Tudor City

#6. East River

#7. Tudor City Greens is privately owned and maintained by a non-profit corporation. It is open to the public.

#8. Park Benches

#9. Tudor City Pl. Part of this road is actually the bridge crossing 42nd Street in #2.

#10. Playground

#11. Scooter. I see a lot of motorcycles parked at Tudor City giving me the impression that they're popular among Tudor City tenants.

#12. Sidewalk by the park.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:35 AM   #2

Steves-digicams allows only 12 images per post so here's some more.

#13. Stairs from 42nd Street leading up to Tudor City Greens.

#14. Wall inscription.

#13. Many Tudor City buildings have stained glass windows.

#16. I asked for permission to shoot inside inside Woodstock Tower. This building and several other buildings in Tudor City are developed by Fred F. French "to attract middle class to the east midtown area". They all have stained glass windows and exterior wall inscriptions and sculptures. I wanted to see the stained glass window from the inside and was treated to this nice sitting room by the lobby.

Thank you for looking! C&C welcome.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:17 PM   #3

Stunning! I'm there all the time to break the boilers, pardon me, "fix" the boilers, and you've captured the place perfectly.

And few New Yorkers even know about the place - Sort of hidden in broad daylight, right there in mid town!!!

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 3:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Steves-digicams allows only 12 images per post so here's some more....
I think this is very wise, vvcarpio - because this is the first time I had the feeling of....: "Too much is too much". I am sorry that I feel this way. But maybe our expectations of your great work so far has been too high - there has been a rather steep accelleration in your work lately - from one big series after another you have spoiled us with great lighting-moods of architecture and interiors.

This series is a little different, IMO. It works as a "this is how it looks here in this area"-kind of series. Nice to have seen and been told about the place, together with some historical background. But strictly photograpy-wise , I am not so sure it works so well.....

There are far too many shots in one series. I know, I hav a tendency to do the same thing - I'm hard to stop sometimes. I want to show so much. Anyway - this is strictly my personal meaning, and I might be wrong as hell, for all I know...

To be able to chat about ever picture I had to make a short list of what my first reactions were:

# 1 - Impressive highrise. A lot of brush (right word for these high bushes?) spoils the scene.

# 2 - This picture amazes me. Here it is still winter and yet, you show trees with green leaves on them....? Nice lighting of low sun and the cought is good. The low shooting-angle gives it a fresh look! Nice. I like it.

# 3 - By the amount of rust and dry spokes / chain on that blue bicylcle to judge, it's been there for a long time. How does it stay so clean? A 'nice enough' picture and good color on the bike.

# 4 - Is a lovely study of a doorway. So pleasing and welcoming, with colors so mellow and warm. Beautiful reflections of warm light in the windows. Fantastic picture! Convivio.

# 5 - interesting and well framed courtyard. Good photo!

# 6 - Not much interesting....

# 7 - The contrast of this soft snow, the sun and the green leaves on the bushes is intriguing! The back-lighting and the shadows are nice.

# 8 - A bench - I necver cared much about a foreground that is so blurred and out of focus. Doesn't do it for me.

# 9 - Nothing special here...

# 10 - A playground and rough looking houses. Not much to look at...

# 11 - Nice Vespa, but.....

# 12 - Too much trees and brushes. Not very neat. The green fence and the garbage-containers give some direction and perspective.

#13 - Interesting stone-wall and stairs. The texture of the wall being the most interesting bit.

# 14 - The wallinscription is interesting, and the symmetry of the scene is nice.

# 15 - The stained glass windows are very interesting. Nice texture, direction to lead, perspective and colors are intriguing. Good photo!!

# 16 - That interior of Woodstock Tower is great! Fantastic light and tons of mood. Good composition with squares and diagonals. The best of them all, and typical of your great interior-shots as we know them! Good vvcarpio-shot!

Brutal and short sum-up of my feelings when looking through your series, vvcarpio. Sorry if I am so hard on you tonight, vvcarpio!

Anyway - I thought, a critical comment is better that no comment at all.....

Last edited by Walter_S; Mar 27, 2010 at 4:06 PM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 7:51 AM   #5

Oops -- I got carried away and posted too much, sorry. Thanks a lot for taking the time to comment on each one, Walter. Your comments will figure in all the future shots I make.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 8:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Stunning! I'm there all the time to break the boilers, pardon me, "fix" the boilers, and you've captured the place perfectly.

And few New Yorkers even know about the place - Sort of hidden in broad daylight, right there in mid town!!!

Dave
Thanks, Dave. Yes, I like going back to Tudor City again and again. Early in the morning I see people come out of the buildings to walk to work -- walk to work! That's a luxury I can't afford . At noon, I see individuals with their dogs. I have not seen it at night but I'd say it's a nice place for a quiet walk anytime of day -- or night .
Old Mar 28, 2010, 2:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Thanks, Dave. Yes, I like going back to Tudor City again and again. Early in the morning I see people come out of the buildings to walk to work -- walk to work! That's a luxury I can't afford . At noon, I see individuals with their dogs. I have not seen it at night but I'd say it's a nice place for a quiet walk anytime of day -- or night .
Oddly enough I asked what the rent would be for a large studio. The super told me $1800, which of course is out of my range, but is a hell of a lot cheaper than luxury housing. Elevator building, and all the, err, amenities, with a doorman no less.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:10 PM   #8

all of which remind me why i don't like big cities...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:47 AM   #9

After viewing this thread the first time, I finally found the time to comment on your latest shots

Generally I have to say that these are all very nice shots, that show us how it looks like in Tudor City... it's always nice to see NYC places that are not well-known for the people not living there (and it's a good way to increase my anticipation ).

My favourites are #2 and #7 - I just love the light and perspective in #2, that's a stunning shot! The composition and contrast between the cold snow and the warm sun in #7 are really appealing!

But, as Walter mentioned, you've posted maybe a bit too many shots.... what I can understand when shooting in such a beautiful place

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote