Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Apr 6, 2010, 7:27 AM   #1

Default Gatlinburg & vicinity

We're back (regretfully) from our Gatlinburg, TN getaway. This time we got AWAY from Gatlinburg and drove to Cherokee, NC through the national forest. I took over a 500 shots with the E-620 and SP570 and am going through them. If 1/4 of them are any good, I'll be content.

Freehand with the Oly SP570. One of the small streams that are EVERYWHERE around Gatlinburg. This one is next to a parking area at Calhoun's Restaurant.

From the Oly E-620 & 14-42mm (kit lens). Some of the MANY creeks & brooks along the route to Cherokee in the National Park. They can be seen from the road and, if you're lucky, there's a little "pull off" nearby so you can jump out and snap a few. I only had a monopod with me but, it was better than nothing.

My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2010, 7:56 AM   #2
sds

Love that area and your pictures.
sds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:19 AM   #3

Indeed, a beautiful part of the country.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:43 AM   #4

Creeks are difficult to shot. I've tryied many times with poor success. Here you did a great job. I love the colors and framing in #2 and #4.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:30 AM   #5

I had the pleasure of visiting the Gatlinburg/Cherokee area a few years ago on a fly fishing trip to the Roaring Fork. It is a beautiful area of the country and the trip through the SMNP was incredible - saw a herd of elk grazing by the roadway in the early morning mist.

Looking at those streams make me anxious for our local trout season to get underway.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:45 AM   #6

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
We're back (regretfully) from our Gatlinburg, TN getaway. This time we got AWAY from Gatlinburg and drove to Cherokee, NC through the national forest. I took over a 500 shots with the E-620 and SP570 and am going through them. If 1/4 of them are any good, I'll be content.

Freehand with the Oly SP570. One of the small streams that are EVERYWHERE around Gatlinburg. This one is next to a parking area at Calhoun's Restaurant.

From the Oly E-620 & 14-42mm (kit lens). Some of the MANY creeks & brooks along the route to Cherokee in the National Park. They can be seen from the road and, if you're lucky, there's a little "pull off" nearby so you can jump out and snap a few. I only had a monopod with me but, it was better than nothing.

gjtoth,

Such beautiful images. Creeks fed by small streams fed by even smaller streams fed by ...

Oh, I long to visit Säve River. Now that the sun manages to reach above the tall trees, It's been totally dark for months

Thank you, and I won't forget my tripod

Beautiful. Taste differs. personally I like your approach here, freezing the running water, making the scenery feel "real", whatever it is

Oh, brilliant. Thank you

Torgny

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sds View Post
Love that area and your pictures.
Me, too! Thanks for stopping by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
Indeed, a beautiful part of the country.
I can't wait to get back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Creeks are difficult to shot. I've tryied many times with poor success. Here you did a great job. I love the colors and framing in #2 and #4.
Thanks very much, Ordo. The E-620 makes it easy. I found the mountain panoramas MUCH more difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenose View Post
I had the pleasure of visiting the Gatlinburg/Cherokee area a few years ago on a fly fishing trip to the Roaring Fork. It is a beautiful area of the country and the trip through the SMNP was incredible - saw a herd of elk grazing by the roadway in the early morning mist.

Looking at those streams make me anxious for our local trout season to get underway.

Regards
We saw quite a few fly fishermen. Only a couple were having any luck. I don't even know what they caught. Brookies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
gjtoth,

Such beautiful images. Creeks fed by small streams fed by even smaller streams fed by ...

Oh, I long to visit Säve River. Now that the sun manages to reach above the tall trees, It's been totally dark for months

Thank you, and I won't forget my tripod

Beautiful. Taste differs. personally I like your approach here, freezing the running water, making the scenery feel "real", whatever it is

Oh, brilliant. Thank you

Torgny
Thanks very much, T! Stupid me left the tripod in the cabin! Luckily, I had a monopod stowed in my car. You can bet THAT won't happen again.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 1:00 PM   #8

"We saw quite a few fly fishermen. Only a couple were having any luck. I don't even know what they caught. Brookies?"

The area has brook, brown and rainbow trout. I can identify with their lack of luck.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:06 PM   #9

Gary, first of all, 100% agreement with everyone else. These are excellent!

Secondly, could you post the exif data of the first photo taken with the Oly SP570 please, including in-camera colour, sharpness, contrast and saturation settings. I'd like to compare them with the settings I have on my SP590 to see if I'm on the right track when taking 'babbling brook' shots.

Thanks

Bernice

Last edited by onlooker; Apr 8, 2010 at 8:07 PM. Reason: typo
onlooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 9:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
Gary, first of all, 100% agreement with everyone else. These are excellent!

Secondly, could you post the exif data of the first photo taken with the Oly SP570 please, including in-camera colour, sharpness, contrast and saturation settings. I'd like to compare them with the settings I have on my SP590 to see if I'm on the right track when taking 'babbling brook' shots.

Thanks

Bernice
Thanks very much, Bernice! On a nice overcast day you can use a tripod and Shutter Priority to set your shutter speed a little slower to get the "silky" effect. EXIF data as requested:
File name: P4020017.JPG (Standard EXIF Tags)

>>> Image Information <<<

Model : SP570UZ
Manufacturer : OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Image Description : OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Date and Time : 2010:04:02 17:24:46

>>> Photograph Information <<<

White Balance : Auto
Sharpness : Hard
Saturation : High
Metering Mode : Spot
Light Source : Unknown
ISO Speed Ratings : 64