Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:50 PM   #1

Default Midtown Street Snapshots

Some random pics from midtown streets this week just making Photomatix go through its paces. Thank you for looking! C&C welcome.

#1.

#2.

#3.

#4.

#5. Taken at the Consulate General of Poland on 37th Street the day after the Polish President plane crash.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:38 AM   #2

What a beautiful set vv - really like the details you are able to bring out with the HDR-treatment! Love the sky in #3!

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:38 AM   #3

Thanks a lot, maggo85. I'm glad you liked the sky in #3 -- I had to walk quite a bit of distance to get there.

It's probably well known that land is a prized commodity in Manhattan. I'd say so is the sky. Unless you live in "a $70 million penthouse atop New York City's Pierre hotel" (source:Forbes.com), the slice-of-the-sky in the following street photo that I took this morning shows just about all the sky you'll see in Manhattan most of the time :

#6.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Thanks a lot, maggo85. I'm glad you liked the sky in #3 -- I had to walk quite a bit of distance to get there.

It's probably well known that land is a prized commodity in Manhattan. I'd say so is the sky. Unless you live in "a $70 million penthouse atop New York City's Pierre hotel" (source:Forbes.com), the slice-of-the-sky in the following street photo that I took this morning shows just about all the sky you'll see in Manhattan most of the time :
Yeah, I can imagine that sky is rare in these "skyscraper canyons" in Manhattan... must be an interesting feeling to walk down these streets for a "country bumpkin" like me

Of course I don't wear "Lederhosen" (many foreigners think all Germans and Austrians are wearing these and are yodeling all the time ), but the biggest city here in Austria has about 1.5 million inhabitants.... so, NYC's quite a difference

BTW, like your last shot... luagt ziamlig guat aus (looks really nice)

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:59 AM   #5

Thanks a lot for the longer-than-usual-reply! Every word cracked me up .
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:01 AM   #6

Excellent series, VV!! I really like the angle you shot #3 at.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:49 PM   #7

Thanks a lot, gjtoth! I had my gorillapod at the time.

Later I stumbled online into a "beanbag" specifically made for DSLRs. And now I'm contemplating on whether to build my own out of a pant leg from an old pair of jeans filled with beads or just buy one.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:54 PM   #8

Hiya VV!!!, I like 1, 2, 3, and 5 the most. No. 5 is just great the way it is. Very nice photo concerning the tragedy in Poland. No. 4 had a little too much optical distortion because of the wide angle... I'm not complaining, and please, take my thoughts or suggestions as "my perspective". I really like your photos, and it FOR THAT REASON I like to say a few things.

Picture #1, I wonder what it would have been like it you could have shot from the left and "framed" in your right to be far over to the right... If you were to the left, but only you know, as I am not there, I think you could get more of the church builing in and framing the tree to your right.

About #2, I am taking the liberty to crop your photo so to better show you what I mean, rather than a lot of words. I took your photo and cropped out a few unnecessary things to the left... then, to avoid some of the optic distortion, I cropped a little from the right, though I like the man in the picture... I wish he was too the left... below is idea of what I would do with your given lens.

My favourite is #2, but I would like to share a couple ideas just a little later, perhaps after you respond to the above, if that is ok.

Many thanks for the photos.
Attached Images

Last edited by Eetu; Apr 16, 2010 at 1:55 PM. Reason: Correction
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:01 PM   #9

Default Vvcarpio!

This is awesom!

...and astounding!
;~)

You have created a new trend: Its called "Picture-Book" style!

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Hiya VV!!!, I like 1, 2, 3, and 5 the most. No. 5 is just great the way it is. Very nice photo concerning the tragedy in Poland. No. 4 had a little too much optical distortion because of the wide angle... I'm not complaining, and please, take my thoughts or suggestions as "my perspective". I really like your photos, and it FOR THAT REASON I like to say a few things.

Picture #1, I wonder what it would have been like it you could have shot from the left and "framed" in your right to be far over to the right... If you were to the left, but only you know, as I am not there, I think you could get more of the church builing in and framing the tree to your right.

About #2, I am taking the liberty to crop your photo so to better show you what I mean, rather than a lot of words. I took your photo and cropped out a few unnecessary things to the left... then, to avoid some of the optic distortion, I cropped a little from the right, though I like the man in the picture... I wish he was too the left... below is idea of what I would do with your given lens.

My favourite is #2, but I would like to share a couple ideas just a little later, perhaps after you respond to the above, if that is ok.

Many thanks for the photos.

Thanks a lot, Ned, for all the compliments and suggestions!

To answer your question on #1, I was taking the picture from a gazebo-like entrance to the Church grounds. It is under the green roof in the photo below. I think there was a gate that I could have walked past (but didn’t) so I could have taken a picture from the left. In any case, I agree, I think the picture would look nicer if more of the small chapel (or whatever it is) was framed in.

#7.

For #3, I think your crop looks good if not better. I could also probably do further perspective correction on it so as not to exclude the man on the right. I didn’t push perspective correction all the way because I think it starts to look somewhat not right when verticals are made perfectly vertical. I’m thinking, things should become smaller as we look up, just as they look smaller as they go farther. I could be wrong. I still don’t have a rule-of-thumb or sense for verticals and will have to study other photographers’ building shots more.

(I didn’t do perspective correction on #4 either -- only lens curvature -- for the same reason. I honestly don’t know when to do perspective correction and by how much and when not to.)

Please post your other suggestions -- I’d like to hear them. I’m proud to admit my photography has improved in leaps and bounds since joining steves-digicams.com because of comments, suggestions, critique, etc. made by others that are similar to yours.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Apr 16, 2010 at 3:38 PM. Reason: Forgot to paste the #7 pic -- sorry