Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Apr 23, 2010, 2:45 PM   #1

Default Reflections At Lake Piburg

A few weeks ago my wife and I drove to this nice lake called Piburger See in the Ötztal... perfect for a nice sunday afternoon walk

This was my first time shooting at a lake... so I tried my best, but in this situation, I would have given everything for a nice wideangle lens

Name:  piburgersee.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  249.4 KB

I hope you like my first reflection shot - please don't hesitate to write your opinion!!

EDIT: Replaced the old shot with a re-sharpened version!!

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L

Last edited by maggo85; Apr 26, 2010 at 7:28 AM. Reason: changed "like" to "lake" :)
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:51 PM   #2
Super Moderator

very nice scene here. deep colors and good contrast.

could use a little sharpening. and what is that orange dot in the right hand side of the shoreline?
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 7:08 PM   #3
spy

When all else fails and your wishing you had a wide angle lens, take as many portrait images as you need to to view the entire wide angle you wish you could get with some other lens. Then photomerge them in ps and prestow, you have a wide angle shot. Must think about going back there and try again to get that wide shot. This looks like an amazing place.

What were your camera settings? Also, when shooting bright scenes, do you judge your shot by your in-camera histogram?
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 7:44 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I love images with reflections on water...very nice composition, nicely saturated colors (beautiful deep sky blue).

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 8:34 PM   #5

nice color.........looks like a bobber hards ..looks like some one on the dock fishing
kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 3:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
very nice scene here. deep colors and good contrast.

could use a little sharpening. and what is that orange dot in the right hand side of the shoreline?
Thank you Dustin... applied a slight touch of HDR and increased the saturation just a little bit... developed from a RAW of course.

BTW, I've changed the old version against a new one with a bit more sharpening! Don't really know what the orange spot is... I guess something like a little buoy (?) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy View Post
When all else fails and your wishing you had a wide angle lens, take as many portrait images as you need to to view the entire wide angle you wish you could get with some other lens. Then photomerge them in ps and prestow, you have a wide angle shot. Must think about going back there and try again to get that wide shot. This looks like an amazing place.

What were your camera settings? Also, when shooting bright scenes, do you judge your shot by your in-camera histogram?
I was shooting RAW only in P mode... F8 at 1/200 and ISO 200... honestly I don't check the histogram often.. maybe I should do that

Thank you so much for the advice to shoot more portrait shots and merge them... gotta try that out next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
I love images with reflections on water...very nice composition, nicely saturated colors (beautiful deep sky blue).

Jehan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby View Post
nice color.........looks like a bobber hards ..looks like some one on the dock fishing
Thank you both so much guys!!

Old Apr 25, 2010, 7:28 AM   #7
spy

Markus, another 'tip' I want to share with you is dealing with extreme highlights with shadowed areas.

Have a walk through your local camera store and have a look at their graduating filters. In the scene above, if you were able to stop down the sky/snow by 2 to 4 stops, your exposure would be evened out throughout the entire photo. Your snow would not be so bright and your shadowed areas below would be more exposed giving it the details your after, BUT that small set up can be costly - http://www.cokin.fr/ico6-PO.html sliding filters with attachments can run you around $400 - $700 and these let you choose where the horizon line is or the area that is so bright that needs to be stopped down, but there are also screw on graduating filters around $170 but the downfall here is, you can not choose your horizon line here.

Now for much cheeper is to get your hands on a full Neutral Density filter, around $70, which will will stop down the entire scene then work up some hdr magic to pull the details back out in your shadow areas.

Knowing when to use these types of filters is key as well but the simplest way of knowing is that when you find yourself standing in a 'kodak moment' and your reaching for your sunglasses and amazed by what you see, then your camera needs "sunglasses" (filters) too.

One last point addressing "highlights". Two camera settings affect this, 1. your exposure bar, and 2. your ISO's. ISO's will do nothing great for shadow's/blacks/darks coupled with bright highlights/whites/sky/snow/bright clouds. Higher ISO's set more than it's lowest during these shoots is like pouring gas on a fire. If they are very bright to begin with then they don't need any more ISO help to become brighter and as I said bumping the ISO up to improve shadows won't help here but will increase noise where it's dark.

When I go out into bright scenes, the only RULE that needs to be kept is "protect your highlights", once blown you can't fix them.

Sorry for the book!

Last edited by spy; Apr 25, 2010 at 7:31 AM.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 2:28 AM   #8

Kevin... thanks a lot for all the information - always learning something new, that's why I love these forums

Maybe I'll try one of these filters out!

Old Apr 26, 2010, 2:34 AM   #9

Very nice capture Maggo, I enjoy the reflection of the shot.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 1:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Very nice capture Maggo, I enjoy the reflection of the shot.
Thank you so much for stopping by shoturtle... when the weather gets nicer, we go to another lake in our area, looking for a nice place for our wedding photos