Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old May 28, 2010, 8:25 AM   #21
spy

Thanks to MVASteve and Markus. Always appreciate the comments!
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 4:55 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy View Post
Just a teaser for you all Left the house last night after 8pm to make the 1 hour drive to Kananaskis to capture it's amazing beauty under moon light. I stopped at Barrier Lake then went on to Troll falls arriving back home after midnight. The light in the centre of the tree line is a lone car making its way down the highway, probably to some camp ground for the long weekend.

I only have time right now to post the first photo.

Kevin

This is just too spot on, mate... I've got to know how you got stars in the picture... any technical details you wish to share, or is this a state secret??

All the best, and thanks for sharing these photos.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 10:32 AM   #23
spy

No secret here my friend. It's kind of a bigger story to get how I shoot stars and it starts with buying top of the line lenses. Knowing that I enjoy going out at night for stars/milky way shots, choosing wide angle and 2.8 aperture is crucial for this.

So I went with the Canon 24 - 70 2.8 as my all round walk-a-bout lens instead of the 16 - 35 2.8. I do wish for wider but if I'm wanting a wider shot, I'll just take a sequence of shots and stitch them together later which I did for the first two images above.

My two concerns when shooting the first two shots was (1) I want stars and (2) don't blow the highlights of the moon. So I set the ISO's low to around 200 being careful of the moon, and opened the aperture to 2.8 to capture the faint light of the stars. Then kept the shutter under 30 seconds and there you have it.

If it was a moonless night, my ISO's would have been bumped up to 4000 and again aperture set to 2.8 and the night sky would have showed millions of stars.

I've got a big night photo opp planned again for Banff National Park for around July which is a big secret until I post. I haven't seen anything like what I've imagined for this night which has been a thought in process since last January. Crossing my fingers!

Kevin
www.poetryofmotion.com
spy is offline   Reply With Quote