Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:56 PM   #1

Default Falls Creek Falls

went down to Mt Rainier today looking for waterfalls. this time of year, there are lots of them, and the water's usually running high with snowmelt. this is Falls Creek Falls... 5D, 24-135 @ 54mm, .8 sec @ f/16...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2010, 7:50 AM   #2

Hi Squirl

Love the water effect, well done.

Only thing that 'almost' is an annoying factor (imho) - is that the wood at the bottom of the photo is quite bright - and seems to detract from a smoother 'finish' to the bottom of the falls.

That is, they are quite 'hot' brightness and colour wise, and if they could be removed (or selectively darkened) - I think that would make the photo much better - all imho of course.

Hope that doesn't sound too harsh - you're a great photographer. By the way, the green of the ferns (or conifers / trees?) is a lovely bright / natural colour!

Cheers

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 8:56 AM   #3
spy

Beautiful location. I would have to agree with Paul that everything is balanced from the top all the way down until you hit the logs. Perfect time to use the ND filter to cut down the hot spots. At 5pm, the sun is still quite high I imagine. But I guess it all depends on whether you went to shoot a 'postcard' shot or just out with the family capturing a moment in that time.

If I go to get shots to enter in contests, I'll get to location in what I call the 'golden hour'.....it's either so early or so late that no one else is there and sun hasn't broke horizon yet and will also use my 4 stop ND filter 99% of the time.

The other point I also agree with Paul on is that your a great photographer plus surrounded by amazing beauty.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 2:12 PM   #4

thanks, guys... i think you're right... a little selective darkening might be in order here...

Spy, this was taken, fortunately, on the shady side of the mountain, otherwise the sun on the falls would've ruined it completely! i have a number of waterfall shots from various spots yesterday, so it'll take a while to get them all procesed...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote