Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:08 AM   #11
spy

Thanks Ordo! Here is one more I really liked. A very strange thing occurred as I was taking these photos, this light you see here settled in this area but not before moving across the sky from directly behind me from where the storm cell was and moved very quickly across the sky to settle where I took the photo. I took a series of 35 shots from another angle watching this light drift very quickly across the sky to where it stopped here for this shot.
Attached Images

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:56 PM   #12

Stop taking such beautiful pictures ! haha... If that first one was in a shop, I'd buy all in stock so that noone else could have it. haha

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:45 PM   #13
spy

LOL Acapulco, I do appreciate the comments! I'm very sorry, but I have to post my last one.....of this church.

5dMII, 24 - 70 2.8, ISO 3200, 27 seconds
Attached Images

Old Jul 14, 2010, 7:06 AM   #14

Great work as usual with the special night time lighting.

Really appreciate your patience, Kevin!

Thanks for sharing.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 2:21 PM   #15

Now they're just plain cool! Nice when good ideas and the 'cast' all come together.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 5:15 PM   #16

The thing I still cant get my head around is with your long exposures how are you able to get the stars so sharp without the trails and even get the blues of deep space? Say I wanted to try this which I probably now could with my new 'old Nikon'. What exposure times are we talking about? I am after the brightest flashlight I can find. Meanwhile I came across this.....the brightest one in the world. http://www.cones-stuff.co.uk/MegaRay%20175.htm
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 6:23 PM   #17
spy

Holy cow Bynx, you're liable to get shot if you point that at someone! It looks like some Acme 3000 super deluxe alien laser gun from space. If you end up getting it, you may find that you won't use it much as it's just too bright...but hey, there may be application for it sometime. The light I used for the first photo was a 2 AA small flashlight for the fence and used my external 580ex speedlite on the church. The camera was set up in the field locked on taking 30 second shots and I was running around in front like a lunatic waving the flashlight around.

You may recall my Davisburg church shot in the fog, I lit that church up with a small LED book light. The sail boat shot at Ghost dam was lit up with my 10million candle power spot lamp. If you end up going out to light paint, it's good to have flash lights that are very small right up to big power spot lamps. You should also bring with you sheets of writing paper in case you need to tape it over the light to defuse it if you wanting a softer more even look.

My star shots are sharp simply by setting my aperture to 2.8, focus on the subject I'm light painting and don't go over 30 seconds for the shutter. I used to shoot with the Canon 20d and one of the biggest differences I noticed with shooting with the 5dMII is the new camera's ability to see deeper colours plus I'm able to jack up the ISO's from 1600 (20d) to 4000 (5dMII). The extra bump in light sensitivity allows for deep space colour to come out. It's really quite amazing. The sensor of the 5dMII sees more colour than the 20d.