Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:12 PM   #21

welldone spy your images are insperational (think ive spelt that right) and it seems your dreams are now turning into reality , way to go i wish you the best as you progress onwards and upwards
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:50 PM   #22
spy

Thank you everyone for your support! I'll be hang'n around here for a long time yet giving help and sharing what I can!

Rocky, went on to check out your photo! Glad to see NG picked one of your best photos to sell!!
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 6:50 AM   #23

I love the story, and your shots are stunning, Spy, did you use post processing on some, or are most just shots as they are? I find it incredible how you can get such a nice shot of the sky and ground, and hope to achieve something like that sometime.
Honnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 9:03 AM   #24
spy

Honnes, most of the shots have some sort of post work done to them except the first photo thread Mark posted of the swimmers. I started shooting with the Panasonic FZ20 and had no idea how to post edit photos. I'd say the next 4 years I read just about every photography magazine I could get my hands on by leaving work to go to a book/magazine store with a coffee, pick a few out of the racks and just sit there and read. Then would take most every idea home with me to try it out for myself.

This was the biggest learning curve I think ever for me which began a whole new life. The programs I used started out with Picasa then moved on to Adobe's element 2.0 then to cs3, 4 and now 5. If your not satisfied with how photos look straight out of the camera and are willing to put in the time to learn how the camera sees light and shadows and learn of its art by reading post process techniques and practice them, you will only get better.

The job I got doing aerial photography required that I know how to use photoshop. I can only say that if I never picked up that challenge I would have never got the job but not only just that job but my work as displayed on my website has gained me some very important commercial jobs as well. People looking for photographers to hire want to see the extraordinary styles and pp talent... so again, if your willing to put in the time to learn it and have it to show,... they'll call.

Kevin
www.poetryofmotion.com

Last edited by spy; Aug 4, 2010 at 8:40 AM.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:18 AM   #25

Thanks for the reply and information, Spy . I was staring at some shots, so nice, love the church shot, but was amazed a lot by the shot in your reply to this topic, with the clouds and the stars visible.

Last question for now, I guess, hehe, what PP techniques are mainly used? There is numerous information on internet, and also tutorials, but I'd like to put focus first on those that are mainly used . I am in pocession of CS5, but not (yet) in Adobe Elements, but hopefully CS5 will suffice
Old Aug 3, 2010, 2:53 PM   #26
spy

cs5 is all you'll need. Elements is a much lesser program.

PP techniques is a matter of personal taste and there is a lot of knowledge and repetitive action required to hone your taste. Most people who get into digital photograph early on really don't know what they like but are just amazed when looking through magazines. I never picked up photography during the 'film' days but jumped on the digital band wagon when the little 35mm film camera fell off the table and smashed. It looked as though things were moving in the digital direction so did some research and bought my first digital Panasonic FZ20. At the time when they were new, paid a huge amount of money for it but was totally unimpressed with the appearance of the images on the monitor. I was of the thinking that I shouldn't have to process anything when paying all that money for the unit but I had to learn that images from rock bottom cameras to pro bodies you'd spend thousands of dollars for all require pp work.

Now its a matter of finding out what you like and don't like when your looking at the image on the monitor. There are hundreds of hours of tutorials to watch on how to achieve the look your after but the basics are simple enhancements in contrast, tone, shadows, highlights, cloning out sensor dust and other distractions, blurring, sharpening, saturating, desaturating, white balance adjustments, dodge and burn.....the list is long and I do all these things with most every image I post.

If your the type of person that looks at an image straight from the camera and your not happy with it or it does nothing for you then your not alone in feeling that way. I'm of the opinion that when the digital camera takes a snap shot of something, it's only a means to an end. The image is not done yet. It's job is only to provide enough pixel information for a solid working base to pp from. Remember, this is of course only my opinion.

The best magazines that strongly appeal to me and are the ones I did most my learning from are those from the UK. Photoshop User is also another great source. You only need a couple of them to be well on your way to figuring out what you like.

Kevin
Old Aug 4, 2010, 6:04 AM   #27

Congrats Kevin!

Good luck with your new job. It sounds great.

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 6:53 AM   #28

Thanks for the information Kevin! Very motivating and helpfull, as I have the feeling the photo is not good enough either after I took it, but always thought that most people didn't do any post processing to get stunning results, but I'm glad I was wrong.

I already was slightly impressed by how much removing noise can help. I'm not a die-hard photograph at all, actuallly the straight opposite, a beginner, but I do love to take photos and get them just right, which I'll aim for . It won't be my profession, but I want to make images that most of the people will like, and motivate them.

Thanks again Kevin! Oops, already said that
Old Aug 4, 2010, 2:42 PM   #29

"I'm of the opinion that when the digital camera takes a snap shot of something, it's only a means to an end. The image is not done yet. It's job is only to provide enough pixel information for a solid working base to pp from."

Kevin, i couldn't agree more. even the best digital images require some level of post-processing. like you, i started with an FZ20, and while it had some very good features and capabilities, it also had some serious limitations that required some work to compensate for. my 5D, on the other hand, requires far less PP to correct deficiencies caused by the camera, but the images still need some tweaking to look their best.

to me, the shot as it comes from the camera is the starting point. what happens next is determined by the image itself, the exposure, light, and color, and what i want to do with it. as a rule, i try not to alter the image in any significant way, but even my best shots have benefited from some extra saturation, contrast, or color adjustment. the best photographers may not have to do as much, perhaps, depending on the effects they're after, but every shot needs a little extra "something". heck, even Ansel Adams used PP extensively in his work - he just didn't have the benefit of computer techonology to help him!

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 3:10 PM   #30
spy

Thanks for putting in your thoughts too Rocky. I think the only time your not tweeking the photo is if your a 'naturalist so changing anything of the image is creating a false representation of what was there and I respect this view, (there is LOTS of debate on this), or shooting for the newspaper or doing journalism and have to get that shot in for print, in that case your just making sure exposure is spot on and have contrast, sharpening and saturation set right in the camera.

Kevin