Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:28 AM   #1
spy

Default Tornado Warning

We had a series of extreme thunderstorm warnings out for Calgary and surrounding areas including a tornado that touched down just north east of here earlier in the day. This is the start of our long weekend and these storm cells were everywhere. Campers were packing up and leaving their spots as quickly as they could vacating campgrounds and some places were getting flattened by torrential rain and hail.

These conditions make for excellent photo opps and I'm so glad that last night worked out as good as it did! Earlier in the day, I picked up a Cokin 4x6 filter system for my lens which included the lens ring, filter holder and one 3 stop soft graduating filter then after work, took a drive up to the highest park near my home to watch these storm cells move across the horizon.

After setting up, I put on my 4 stop ND filter then put on the Cokin 3 stop graduating filter, ...so when looking through the view finder, the top part of the frame has 7 stops of filter leaving the bottom part with 4, exposing the bottom brighter than the top. The Cokin system are excellent filters but if you want to pay double for better quality filters, LEE and Sing Ray are others to look at. - http://www.singh-ray.com/grndgrads.html -

I set the ISO's to 100 to give the lightning some 'juice' and set the aperture to f22 to slow down the shutter. The sun was setting to my left which created excellent colour on the storm cell.

Kevin
Attached Images

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:33 AM   #2

Awesome!!
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:19 PM   #3

Spectacular!!! I LOVE all the colours and how it gradually moves from light to dark. Good old Mother Nature is awesome and you've captured a superior moment. Kudos!

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 2:09 PM   #4

nice job, Kevin... love the way the colors move from pastel sunset to ominous storm across the scene... the lightning is a perfect counterpoint. how many frames did it take to catch that?

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 3:28 PM   #5
spy

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Rocky, that one took around 200 frames. Then another 150 or so to finish off the night.

Kevin
spy is offline   Reply With Quote