Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 6, 2010, 10:30 AM   #1

Default Sunrise on Slaughter Road

I took this photo on Slaughter Road this morning. I left early to take photos of the sunrise on my way to work.

Most dramatic photos you see are probably of sunsets. They suggest solitude or a mood of intimacy as the night is just beginning.

On the other hand, there is nothing romantic about sunrises. They signal a new day of backbreaking work when the air is greeted by your morning breath.

So I guess you can say I’m trying to prove something by taking pictures of sunrises -- that I’m an early-riser.

I’d say the habit was born out of excitement in my early teen years. Excitement because on some days on my way home from school, I’d see a newsstand along Avenida selling the latest issue of one of my favorite DC comic books. I’d sleep early that night -- 8 o’clock right after dinner foregoing TV -- so that tomorrow may come sooner and I’ll have fresh allowance that I can use to buy that comic book if it’s still there the following day. On occasion some other kid beat me to buying my comic book. Where I’m from comic books came from U.S. bases in very limited quantity and so I have learned painfully early on that the early bird does get the worm.

Today, there’s not much need for that. I am in the land of opportunity where diversions for kids and grownups alike abound. But I kept the habit. I still get up early. I catch the sunrise because I have no time for sunsets. For me, dusk is a time of chores. Untended clutter prattles inside my head whenever I go off on leisure prematurely. So I try to be efficient for one reason only -- to get my chores out of the way as quickly as possible that tomorrow may come sooner and I may then slack off in unabashed bliss.

Call me Mr. Industrious. But down inside I am deeply, profoundly lazy.

Anyways, my apologies for the long intro. But I needed to justify to myself why I’m getting up so early to take pictures of sunrises instead of sunsets when no one can tell the difference anyway...

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Aug 6, 2010 at 10:41 AM.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2010, 10:40 AM   #2

lovely. seems just a touch oversaturated, but the overall effect is beautiful...

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:12 AM   #3

Thanks, squirl033. I slid the "level" a wee bit more to get the contrast I wanted. Unfortunately, it increased saturation a wee bit more, too. I just now slid the "saturation" saturation control down. Below is the result. If anyone prefers this (or the other), I'd appreciate knowing. Thanks!

#2)
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:05 PM   #4

Beautiful....
Canon Lens EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM IS
Canon Lens EF500mm F4L IS USM
Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX Macro
Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 Wide angle
hanalwala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:13 PM   #5
Super Moderator

the 2nd one is definitely much better. its still a bit overcooked for my personal tastes in a landscape shot. but leaving my biases behind it is a lovely picture. its well composed with the lead in from the creek and the balance of the tree on the left and the creek and mountain on the right. and the sky in the distance is very dramatic, like mount doom spewing forth fire in the sky or something.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:19 PM   #6

yeah, the second one definitely looks better...

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 2:11 PM   #7

nice work .....love the fire in the sky the lone tree and reflection are great also
Old Aug 7, 2010, 6:38 AM   #8

In your second shot its not so much the saturation but the brightness of the green. From your first shot I made the green more blue and darkened it a bit. Then I desaturated the overall shot but not as much as the second one.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 7:01 AM   #9

I love the shot. Even the more saturated one.

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:53 AM   #10

Thank you, all -- I appreciate all your comments. The place is actually very close to where I live. Your comments are very encouraging. I'll remember to go back there in different seasons.

Paul, I like your edit. It also brought out the soil where it showed. Thanks for the lead on adjusting individual colors. I'll try that, too.

Thanks, Daniel. It's nice to know different styles appeal to different tastes and that I am not alone .

Hards80, I was barely aware that I have some elements that make for a balanced landscape. I was more concentrated on the sun as I didn't want to miss it when it showed.

Below are HDR edits when the sun began to show.

#3) Photomatix does not have DPHDR's pin-warp so I cannot manually align the clouds.

#4) In this DPHDR edit, I did not attempt to align the clouds. I just blurred them a bit to reduce the staggered movements of the clouds between the five frames.

#5) This image is actually a composite of two DPHDR edits. I created the first DPHDR image with the foreground aligned. I then created a second DPHDR image with the clouds pin-warped to align. The second image had the foreground (grass, trees, mountain, brook) misaligned. Then I copied-and-pasted the aligned foreground of the first image onto the second image.

I'd appreciate knowing if staggered cloud movements are a bothersome effect of HDR. Thank you for looking!