Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:07 AM   #1

Default Plum Point in New Windsor

My wife and I went to Plum Point in New Windsor. It is a public resort along the Hudson River that is not very well known. The dirt road off the main road leading to the park is easy to miss. But inside, picnic tables and benches with fixed barbecue grills are canopied under lush green trees, the sandy beach gives families the chance to swim, and the views both up and down the river where boats anchor in the distance to drop fishing lines are just magnificent.

When we went there on a Sunday afternoon, we found the overall atmosphere pleasant. People were just friendly. When one man saw my wife taking pictures, he started posing playfully and teased her to take pictures of him. While taking pictures of the resort house, I was unaware that a girl sat by the railing. She saw me but didnít feel threatened and continued writing on her paper. Another man announced to my wife it was his birthday as he and his family walked back to their car in the parking lot.

We only knew of Plum Point when we visited the website of our countyís newspaper. We were looking at photos submitted by readers to find good spots to shoot pictures. While we try to avoid places where people might prefer spending a quiet afternoon in private, especially when minors are in bathing attire, we found the people there somewhat relaxed. According to one website we visited, Plum Point is a park that the locals would rather keep secret. Maybe they do. But from the easy atmosphere displayed by the locals we encountered, it seems that they are happy, too, to share this gem they enjoy so much with anyone who happens to find it.

#1) Hudson River from Plum Point.

#2) Beach.

#3) Log.

#4) Trail.

#5) Bannerman Castle, an abandoned military warehouse, seen from across the river.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:31 AM   #2
spy

Can you imagine the bottom shot under moon light with fog.........
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:39 AM   #3

Hmm, that would be a lovely shot. The Bannerman Castle would cast an eerie glow.

I think this is the second time you mentioned a night moon shot -- and I haven't taken you up yet on the first one. Summer is fast fading I should start shooting night scenes. I'm excited. Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:40 AM   #4
spy

We are now starting the new moon phase, you've got about a week or so to plan a really great spot to try that long exposure. You'd be surprised at how great it will look compared to a day time shot with high sun. You've showed lots of great places you've been to that you could do a comparison shot to see the difference. I think that castle would be amazing with some mist floating by that castle.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 3:44 PM   #5

My mode of thinking is shoot in the day and pp at night. But you made me realize it doesn't have to be always so. I can easily just pp in the day and drive somewhere at night after dinner to shoot some pics. I'll practice long exposures in the dark in my front and backyard before heading out.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 4:48 PM   #6
spy

If there is some subject that stands out from the rest, I will google it and view other images of it to get a good sense of it and the landscape surrounding it. There are plenty of view points and angles other photographers have shot.

While I was at work, I wondered if the structure was perhaps lit up at night and sure enough, I saw one image in 'google images' where one side of it is lit up. There are no shots of it in fog or mist and NO shots of it at night. The opportunity to do something no one else has done is here for the taking and I'd be all over this one if I was there!
Old Aug 9, 2010, 5:00 PM   #7

Nicely capture, I see you were up by west point one of my old haunts. Yeah I normally take 218 along west point to the local road to plum point back in the days, very twisty and scenic riding up there.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 5:25 PM   #8

No:3...........Have you seen a doctor about that? lol

Nice shots
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:20 AM   #9

Hi, Kevin. According to their website they do tours on weekends. It's not night (it's at noon) and it's expensive ($30 for 2 & 1/2 hours). Some kayak to the island but I have not kayaked at all so that's probably not an option for me.

From photos on the Internet it does look like a photographer's dream. Plenty of angles to shoot from. I'll have to find out more if they allow tripods or if we can roam on the island freely instead of being a constant part of the walking tour. I'd really like to go I think it's unavoidable.

Hi, shoturtle. Yes, there are plenty of scenic spots along the Newburgh-New Windsor-Cornwall shoreline all within 3 miles or less of one another. We actually went to two more. I added some pics.

#6) George Washington's Headquarters in Newburgh. The park was already closed when we got there so I shot this through the gate.

#7) Washington Lake in Newburgh.

Koolpc, might I point out that that's spelled "log" not "leg" lol! Good one . Thanks.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Aug 10, 2010 at 8:35 AM.