Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:11 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
pj1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 2,914
Default Winter skies

Hello friends

Some days ago I went out for 2 evenings in a row for a walk, with my camera in hand (ok, it also had the neck strap 'round my neck!) :-) As it's winter here in Adelaide (South Australia) - there is a different feeling to the evening sky / sunset than the warmer months.. or at least that's how I feel.

What I like about this first photo is that there is a gentle mix / melting of colours from the already set sun near the horizon to the dark blue sky above. However what really 'makes' it for me, is the bird perched in the tree, silhouette as it is.

What do you think?

Paul
Attached Images
 
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:14 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
pj1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 2,914
Default #2

And in this 2nd sunset photo, though not spectacular, I do like how the sun was 'peaking' between the gap of foilage in the trees.

Furthermore I have come to appreciate the importance of form and mirroring shapes, so I am glad that the clouds match the contour of the tree somewhat.

Is that important for you?

Looking forward to your comments! Thanks.

Paul
Attached Images
 
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:02 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Hawgwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 3,520
Default

Hi Paul! Love these, you know the bird absolutely makes the first shot for me, and the sun rays in the second. I must say, you have nice colors in your winters!
__________________
Always use tasteful words - you may have to eat them.
You cannot find knowledge by rearranging your ignorance.

My Flickr
-Robert-


Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 3:47 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
hercules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sparta, Greece
Posts: 2,649
Default

Paul I really like the 1st shot nice colors and the bird makes that photo even better
the 2nd shot is good too but what aperture did you shoot at? as when I want to get that star look on the sun I really stop it down to f16 or so, thanks for showing these
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:47 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Torgny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni
Posts: 10,042
Default

Paul,

Think you're correct about the gamut of winter. Colours are all there but a little bit cooler

Number two struck me immediately as the complete photo. Thanks

Torgny
__________________

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 2:16 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
squirl033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,696
Default

nice, Paul... you're right, the bird in the first one really makes the shot. looks as though it's just sitting there enjoying the sunset along with you!

i agree, the sun shining through the branches in the second shot is a plus, but the real appeal is the wonderful pastel coloring in the sky. having the clouds follow the contours of the trees is a nice bonus, but this would've been a pretty shot regardless of the cloud shapes... as long as the clouds were there!

of course, the fact that your trees still have leaves, even in winter, makes me a bit envious... we have plenty of evergreens in Washington, of course, but anything not coniferous loses its leaves by Christmas, and we spend the rest of winter surrounded by naked, skeletal trunks and branches... the colors we get as the leaves die are pretty, but once they fall, everything gets a sort of dull, drab gray-brown that reminds me of nothing so much as a dead landscape... combined with the near-constant gray skies and drizzle we get from November through March, and winter here is a pretty depressing time of year...
__________________
Rocky

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Last edited by squirl033; Aug 13, 2010 at 2:20 PM.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 8:58 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
pj1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 2,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
Hi Paul! Love these, you know the bird absolutely makes the first shot for me, and the sun rays in the second. I must say, you have nice colors in your winters!
Hello Robert

Many thanks for your kind words. I'm glad to hear that the bird in #1 makes it for you too. (what can we humbly say... but great minds think alike? ).

Cheers

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 9:04 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
pj1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 2,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercules View Post
Paul I really like the 1st shot nice colors and the bird makes that photo even better
the 2nd shot is good too but what aperture did you shoot at? as when I want to get that star look on the sun I really stop it down to f16 or so, thanks for showing these
Hi Hercules

Ah, so good to have your feedback too. Cheers for your thoughts on photo #1.

Um... aperture on the 2nd photo... let me have a look here... it's f11 on my 15-85mm Canon lens.

I remember on my Sigma 10-20mm lens, I shot at f8 at night time on a beach (30 second exposure) and I got a nice 6 spoked star on the lights on a jetty....

I think I recall reading somewhere that it depends on number of aperture blades as to what the 'optimal' star look on lights / the sun. Maybe someone (technical) here on the forums can confirm or expain further.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 9:05 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
pj1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 2,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
Paul,

Think you're correct about the gamut of winter. Colours are all there but a little bit cooler

Number two struck me immediately as the complete photo. Thanks

Torgny
Torgny,

You've used a very accurate word / phrase here, I think... the gamut of winter!! Yes... a bit cooler, yet still crossing a spectrum from orange to blue.

Maybe there is something nearing the 'golden rule' about photo 2 that makes it complete too? Cheers!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 9:10 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
pj1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 2,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirl033 View Post
nice, Paul... you're right, the bird in the first one really makes the shot. looks as though it's just sitting there enjoying the sunset along with you!

i agree, the sun shining through the branches in the second shot is a plus, but the real appeal is the wonderful pastel coloring in the sky. having the clouds follow the contours of the trees is a nice bonus, but this would've been a pretty shot regardless of the cloud shapes... as long as the clouds were there!

of course, the fact that your trees still have leaves, even in winter, makes me a bit envious... we have plenty of evergreens in Washington, of course, but anything not coniferous loses its leaves by Christmas, and we spend the rest of winter surrounded by naked, skeletal trunks and branches... the colors we get as the leaves die are pretty, but once they fall, everything gets a sort of dull, drab gray-brown that reminds me of nothing so much as a dead landscape... combined with the near-constant gray skies and drizzle we get from November through March, and winter here is a pretty depressing time of year...

Greetings Rocky

Yes, that's how I felt the bird was 'enjoying the sunset' (it was perched there for many minutes, only moving its head a bit from time to time, which I was thankful for, as it allowed me time to frame / try a few different compositions and eventually settle with photo #1.

Pastel - that's another great description of the colours for photo #2! Indeed, the colours there I liked, and I was very glad that both the sun was 'peeping' through the gap in the tree, as well as the contour of the clouds. All in all 'right place, right time' (with camera in hand!)

Thanks for sharing about your part of the world. I remember when I first went to Europe I found the different look / feel of winter there quite interesting (though yes, somewhat bleak as my first day was early December and all the deciduous trees were already 'bare' of leaves).

The snow (particularly in Romania) fascinated me - also for photographic opportunities, but yes, now I do appreciate all the more the joy of having more 'colour' both on the land, in the trees and in the skies here in the Mediterranean climate of Adelaide. I even remember seeing sunny / bright photos while in the middle of 'winter blues' and realising how much I missed the sun (Steve's helps in this regards)

Hope you'll continue enjoying your 'nice' season there now! Come visit Australia sometime in January, to 'break up' your winter!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:24 AM.