Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:59 AM   #11

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Great stuff VV. The moving traffic in #1 conveys a sense of the city waking up! What time of the morning were these taken?
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 1:42 PM   #12

If you select your purple fringing with the eye dropper in Hue/Saturation and Magentas that will select all the purple so a desaturation will affect all the purple. If there happens to be something in the picture which is purple just deselect it. I would not use the Magic Wand tool.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 7:37 AM   #13

Thanks, cmoy. I've seen on TV drivers who just by looking at what's going on by the roadside actually slams into it. Those were my thoughts while taking the bracket of shots. I'm still here so that didn't happen.

Thanks, jelpee. It was taken between 7:30am and 8am. I'd say the working crowd around 42nd Street is the most varied. The theater district is there plus the office skyscrapers on 6th. Around 34th Street where Macy's is (and the Empire State Building nearby) there are hardly any business/corporate types. It's part of the Fashion District where raw materials for garments manufacturing can be bought wholesale and multi-storey buildings (mostly old brick ones) floor-upon-floor are filled with low-wage laborers sewing and ironing clothes for market so the surrounding streets are filled with department stores and sidewalk vendors that cater to them. Downtown in Wall Street is purely business and financial people wearing suits. I don't know if they still wear suits today. Back when I worked there in the early 90s, I used to wear a jacket and tie everyday even in the hottest days of August.

Thanks, Bynx, for taking the time to explain. I got it now and it saved me a lot of time. I used it in this shot of the Empire State Building taken from Broadway.

#8)
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:44 PM   #14

Hi Vvcarpio,
I Love the pics, I been looking back at your pics and have to say superb!
I'm a country bumpkin and have always thought of New york as one of the last places ide ever want to visit. I,ve watched all the 70's cop shows and have a mental image of dull, grey, smogy place. I gota say you should be working for the NY tourist board. I now look forward very much to looking at your pics from the city. It looks Beautifull, really Beautifull. Your pics have gave me a fantastic insite into life in the city. The shapes, the colours, the people. It looks a wonderfull place to be and I,m sure you have made the best of every situation. Really, really great. Keep it up please.
Regards Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 4:49 PM   #15

Thanks a lot for your glowing comments, condorman. I'm very encouraged. I'll try to keep up and improve.

I think you're not alone in your dreary mental images of NYC. Even today, my family sometimes takes third or greater generation Americans from upstate New York and they get very apprehensive riding the New York City subways. Many people from upstate don't even think of living in NYC because they don't know how to dress, act, and behave like a New Yorker. I am amazed sometimes that I, an immigrant, have to show them around and tell them it's safe.

I guess you can say I'm lucky in the sense that I came to New York at the time when crime was starting to go down. I did not experience crime when it peaked in the 80s (although I did get mugged once in New Jersey). Since then NYC has become the safest big city in the U.S. In my opinion (I have friends who disagree) 9/11 contributed even more to the turnaround.

Still I have to say as with any city in the world major or minor one should not let one's guard down.

Having said that, I added three more photos. They're all from Bryant Park. I've taken similar ones before but this is the first time I used Topaz on them.

#9) Fountain.

#10) Southwest Porch. Power outlets are available for those wishing to use their laptops while having a sandwich sitting in Adirondack chairs.

#11) Facing east. The sun always rises from between those two buildings.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 5:19 PM   #16

VV,

You did a nice job of capturing how even in the early morning in NYC it is still a bustle of activity.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:00 AM   #17

Thanks, shoturtle. I keep hearing about NYC being "the city that never sleeps". But we live so far away so the latest we (as a family) hung out in the city is around 8pm.