Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:28 AM   #1

Default Shooting Early in NYC

I thought shooting early in the morning in NYC would be good...

#1) ...but not on 42nd and Broadway...

#2) ...and Times Square with all the pedestrians walking to work...

#3) ...though better at Channel Gardens at Rockefeller Center with no tourists constantly posing in your shot...

#4) ...or best of all just shoot straight up at the Rockefeller Center building...

#5) ...or find an angle for the Helmsley and Metlife Buildings that is not in the usual one-in-front-of-the-other formation...

...to avoid street traffic altogether.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:01 PM   #2

GREAT shots vvcarpio!
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 1:25 PM   #3

Thanks, cmoy.

I was reading Bynx's way of removing fringing but I was already working on mine which was essentially the same, the difference being in the manner of isolating the purple (or in my case, red and blue) fringes.

Basically, as Bynx said, I select the area with the fringe (the red- or blue-tinted edges in the center of my selection) then create a layer out of it. I magnify the view to about 400%.

Then I use the magic wand to nitpick on the red and blue fringes. This is where I differ from Bynx's method. I uncheck the magic wand's "contiguous" checkbox and adjust the magic wand's "tolerance" between the values of 8, 16, 32, and 64 to either accurately or quickly select the fringes.

Then, as with what Bynx said, I adjust "saturation" to zero and adjust "lighting" to either darker or lighter based on the object's lighting.

I haven't tried Bynx's method yet. It sounds simpler. But it's good to get confirmation I'm on the right track.

I removed as much fringing as I could in this series. But with all the straight lines, it's hard to be thorough. Just when I thought I've removed all fringing, I see another red or blue dot. It just never ends.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 1:32 PM   #4

Thanks!!!!! I'll definitely give this a try next time.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 1:35 PM   #5

BTW Have you had any problems using your tripod in the city? I haven't but just thought I'd ask.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 1:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoy View Post
BTW Have you had any problems using your tripod in the city? I haven't but just thought I'd ask.
No, but so far I've only used my tripod in parks. On the streets I use my gorillapod. I plant it on corner-sidewalks or on top of mailboxes. I have not had problems. There are plenty of building security personnel and cops around but none ever told me to stop using my gorillapod.

Taking pictures of the Helmsley and Metlife last week with taxis in the foreground was a bit unnerving as I was near the edge of the center island on Park Avenue with traffic whizzing by at high speed inches from me.

I used my gorillapod today, too, on the narrow center island on the other side of Park Avenue to take some shots of Metlife and Grand Central. Taxis were zipping by left and right and I had to be careful not to lose my balance crouching down or I'd be sucked in by the taxis' tailwind into oncoming traffic.

Other than risking my life, I see no problems using my gorillapod on the streets of New York.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 2:07 PM   #7

Wish they made those for 1D series bodies. I haven't used my full size tripod that often, mostly for Tribute In Light. Always afraid the cops wouldn't allow it. On vacations I bring my Slik Mini Pro table tripod. Holds up the 1D and 28-70 as long as I don't tilt it downwards. I do the same, mailboxes, wide handrails, trash cans, curbs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
No, but so far I've only used my tripod in parks. On the streets I use my gorillapod. I plant it on corner-sidewalks or on top of mailboxes. I have not had problems. There are plenty of building security personnel and cops around but none ever told me to stop using my gorillapod.

Taking pictures of the Helmsley and Metlife last week with taxis in the foreground was a bit unnerving as I was near the edge of the center island on Park Avenue with traffic whizzing by at high speed inches from me.

I used my gorillapod today, too, on the narrow center island on the other side of Park Avenue to take some shots of Metlife and Grand Central. Taxis were zipping by left and right and I had to be careful not to lose my balance crouching down or I'd be sucked in by the taxis' tailwind into oncoming traffic.

Other than risking my life, I see no problems using my gorillapod on the streets of New York.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 3:33 PM   #8

Super pic Vvcarpio
Mark
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 8:10 AM   #9

Thanks, condorman.

I added two more.

#6) This is probably old news to some but I found another benefit to shooting RAW. As always, I took 5 shots for this picture. Where normally I'd convert all 5 RAW images to jpeg and process the jpegs in DPHDR, this time I only used 2 RAW images out of the 5. Reason being that Times Square jumbotrons keep changing their displays that it's hard to take pictures with all jumbotrons showing the same images across 5 shots. So I picked one RAW, processed it in DPHDR, and created a layer out of the buildings (and their jumbotrons). I then picked another RAW with the best-looking sky, processed it in DPHDR and pasted the layer (buildings and jumbotrons) from the first RAW onto the second RAW.

#7) This wasn't shot early in the morning -- it was around noon when I took this. I just wanted to show everyone this is the narrow center island on Park Avenue that I was telling cmoy yesterday.

Please feel free to comment. Thank you for looking.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 9:19 AM   #10

I love the moving cabs in #7