Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:48 PM   #1

Default Rainbow

The brightest and most intense I've ever seen. The picture really doesn't do it justice.

Nice supernumerary arc, too.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2010, 2:57 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Very cool..... need to grab yourself a polarizer for the next one will really make it pop.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 11:06 AM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

What luck to capture both from almost end -to-end! I agree with Mark's comment about a polarizer--unfortuantely, sometimes by the time you reach for one, you might lose the moment!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 11:10 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
What luck to capture both from almost end -to-end! I agree with Mark's comment about a polarizer--unfortuantely, sometimes by the time you reach for one, you might lose the moment!
That's true, so to be on the safe side, take the shot and run like a nutter to get a polarizer LOL.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:16 PM   #5
spy

Great shot!!!!!!
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 2:24 PM   #6

Actually, while I was getting my polarizer, the bow flared up as the clouds withdrew, became even brighter, and made a complete arc. (my wife says) By the time I got back, it was almost gone.

It was perfectly set. The rain had just passed, the sun was setting directly behind me, with heavy rain just to the east. I'll probably never see one that perfect again.

Oh, and the shot was several exposures stitched together to get the entire arc.

Last edited by The Barbarian; Sep 2, 2010 at 2:28 PM.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2010, 8:18 PM   #7

Nice set of rainbows, Barbarian. Good you could stitch them all together. Neat work!!

I know what you mean about rushing to get a good rainbow shot. I've often taken a shot and in seconds the time had past (especially here in Adelaide, Australia - which doesn't get much rain).

I found the road interesting in this photo too - is that made from cement? And what is the grey strip along the side there? (I've not been to the US - but have lived in various other places in the globe, and find 'every day' things like that interesting.

Cheers

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:13 AM   #8

That's a great photo ! A real winner

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 4:47 PM   #9

A double one, wohoo... great

Hm,
I was about to start a "rainbow" thread on my own as I saw a nice one myself today - but I guess it's ok to add my image here, yes?

I took 9 images for that: 3 -2EV/0/2EV bracketing shots for HDR works and then I stitched the 3 resulting images together. Some minor final postprocessing. I used my Pentax DL2 and a A28mm/2.8 lens with a polarizer.

We had some drizzle while the sun was shining and with the evening sun in my back I saw this. There's a hint of the 2nd bow in the upper left corner, but it wasn't very strong against the blue sky and the clouds...

Hope you like it, too.

Th.

P.S. A question for the experienced rainbow-shooters. I had to use different settings for the polarizer to bring out the bow to the left, middle and right - which in turn caused some color shift mainly in the sky. Any way to avoid that?
Attached Images

Last edited by thkn777; Sep 5, 2010 at 4:56 PM.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 5:04 PM   #10

nice pics, thinkn, theres very apparent distortion when you follow the power lines. for a stitched shot I thought this normally corrected? U could try geometric distortion removal in PS but im not sure what itd do to the rest of pic, its a really great shot but the realism is just sucked away by that wavy powerline, for me anyways
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote