Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:56 PM   #1

Default Downtown Finance Dist - Night

Here's a shot before and after editing of the NYC Downtown skyline. Please provide some feedback. I'm new to this and really could use any advice possible.

Thanks!

ps - can anyone tell me why I'm getting reflections in the sky? Seems like in a few of my shots I have "upside down reflections" of the lights in the city. This happened a few times during my night shots in Times Square, 5th Ave, and the skyline shots.
Attached Images

Nighthawk06si is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2010, 7:40 PM   #2

the shots are very noise and there seems to be allot of camera shake.

The reflection in the sky can be cause by a UV filter if you are using one, as ghosting is a bad side effect with using them. Especially not multi coated ones.

What camera and what settings were you using, the exif data is strip out of the photos.

To take a good night shot like you want of all those lights, a tripod will be a major help with longer exposure at low iso.

Last edited by shoturtle; Sep 24, 2010 at 1:51 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 7:45 PM   #3
spy

Welcome Nighthawk06si to the forum and hope you get the answers that will help you with this problem. Would you please inform us as to what your shooting with and the settings for this shot.

Does this very same mark appear on all your night shots or does it only show up when shooting similar scenes with lights? Can you post another photo where it's appeared again in another shot?

You may get people saying its a dirty sensor but dirt, what ever it is would show up as dark spots not reflective white light. I'm leaning toward thinking it's something on your mirror if you've got a dslr. Are you using a hood on your lens as maybe the lights are parked cars off to one side with their headlights on causing some side reflection or maybe they're lights on posts lining the board walk. These lights are not moving so it tells me it's either something on the mirror or side reflection from nearby lights.

Kevin

Last edited by spy; Sep 23, 2010 at 7:51 PM.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:03 AM   #4

Hey guys, thanks for the reply. The sensor and mirrors, lens are clean. I'm using a T1i with 50mm 1.8 lens in this shot. I was on the Staten Island Ferry on my way home and obvs was fighting with the boat to get a clear shot. I was resting on the railing to set up a temporary tripod. I also had a UV filter on it. I wasn't aware that these filters can cause negative effects like that. Night photography is my weakness so any advice to help me practice would be appreciated.

I'm very mad at myself because I shot this at high iso (800-1600). I should have tried a lower setting with longer exposure but with the boat moving, it was tough. Took my girl into the city for the first time in her life, so it was long/hectic day, exhausting by the time I got to this shot... Always next time right?
Nighthawk06si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 1:58 PM   #5

the ferry is tough for night shots. you will need to set the 50 1.8 to 1.8 and shoot at 3200 if you can not get you shutter speed above 1/30 with 1600iso. As you will have a motion blur cause by the ferry. Long exposure will not work well on the ferry as it is rocking back and forth, and the longer exposure will just make things worst.

Yup, never use a UV filter at night all they do is cause problems with all the different bright light sources.

But if you were shooting form none moving area. A longer exposure at 100-200iso would work well, and you can stop down from f4-f7 with any of your lens, and it will give you very nice results. I normally stop down to where I know the lens is sharp. With the ef 50 1.8 F4-f8 are pretty good for night work.

Here is an example of what I am saying
Midtown manhattan by night.