Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:59 PM   #11
spy

Thanks for the added comments. Dustin, I didn't try cloning out the wires and signs as I just wanted to leave them in.

The only thing that I could see would add to this photo is to stand on the tracks while the train is shining it's lights but that would just get me in trouble and I don't think I could talk myself out of it. People around know who I am so it wouldn't take long for the rail cops to show up and ban me from being on them.

Here are the ones I'm happy with from the week! Enjoy.

Kevin
Attached Images

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:03 AM   #12
spy

last one......
Attached Images

Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:37 AM   #13
Super Moderator

kevin.

these shots are just funky. in a good way though. very eerie, seems really fitting you post these before halloween.

i really like the train tracks into the mist shot. that is great. and of course the aurora shot is just awesome.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 1:10 AM   #14

Love the first one with its coloring... they all are great shots Fantastic that is in great... and wow a church right by the tracks I wonder what the history is on that... Make me wonder why any one would in their right mind abandon a church there were some back in Missouri as well.... Great job....
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 3:22 AM   #15

Wow, I'm having difficulty putting into words how great those pics are. I love the first one of your second set it's stunning, but so are the rest. The Tall dark figure is just fantastic. I bet you thought you were on your own till he turned up.
We used to have a shop called Athena near us, it was always jaw dropping looking in there window at the amazing photo creations on display. I get the exact same feeling looking at your magical creations. Your really exceptional at what you do and gota say a big thanks for sharing this amazing world you see.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 8:47 AM   #16
spy

I'm glad these were so interesting to you. I have a saying on my homepage that says "the writing of light" and plainly said, ...that's all it is. Photo #5 is a composite of 18 photos "stacked". So many photos were needed as the remote cable was locked taking long exposures on burst mode which allowed me to walk over to the church to light it up plus it gave the time needed for traffic to drive by the roads, adding their light as well.

Sharpshotgal, the history is quite amazing with this church and area and it starts with a small but busy little rail town built in and around 1912. Old archived photos at the community hall shows the church with other buildings right next to it plus across the tracks which supported other businesses and the farming community all over the valley.

Talking with a local resident that moved across the street from the church in 1945 said that as long as he has been here, there has never been a church service held there. So some time between 1912/14 to 1945, the church was used and abandoned. A local historian told me the church was given up to pay for taxes and the ground it sits on is not owned by anyone, ...the Catholic Church nor CP rail owns it either and no one is interested in seeing it restored. One local however offered to move it to his property and pay for all the restorations but the locals said that they would burn it down before seeing it moved. The owner of the property next to the church said he would make a roadway to the church to allow trades to work on the church which would make easy access to it.

It is the only building left standing.....or rather left to fall and rot to the ground and all other buildings were removed. The hardwood left to fall off the ceiling is so valuable .......I just don't get it.

Kevin

Last edited by spy; Oct 15, 2010 at 8:49 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 9:45 AM   #17

Great pp is one thing, finding very good shots to take another. Very nice -- and crafty -- pics.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 9:55 AM   #18
Super Moderator

the stories behind old abandoned buildings are always so interesting. thanks for that info kevin. i am really surprise that it has not seen a service since before 1945 and its still standing.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 9:27 PM   #19
spy

One last stop at Moraine Lake before going home. I arrived here at 5:40am with not a soul in site....even for a hot tourist spot, there wasn't one car in the parking lot. It was kind of erie as there are signs up warning people of bears in the area and I had a short walk to this location where I spent the next 40 minutes setting up my shot and experimenting with camera settings. The only light here is cast by the stars alone. If there was a moon, it is only a small sliver and low behind the mountains which I didn't see.

The shot is 313 seconds long (5.2 minutes) at f2.8, ISO 1600. Some dodging done in pp to bring out the subjects.

Kevin
www.poetryofmotion.com

P.S. Now that the moon is high in the night sky, I'm going back out to B.C. next Thursday for another week of shooting!
Attached Images

Old Oct 15, 2010, 9:37 PM   #20

Very, very, impressive set.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote