Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:44 PM   #1

Default Bear Hill Preserve -- Cragsmoor, NY

Bear Hill Preserve is a nature trail in the same Shawangunk Ridge as Sam’s Point. It is also in the same hamlet of Cragsmoor as the Stone Church. All three are close to one another although Sam’s Point by far draws the most visitors.

Bear Hill Preserve is privately owned. (It was put up for sale in 1978 and bought by the Cragsmoor Association.) Its trails, however, are open to the public. If you want just a short, easy hike for a spectacular view of the western horizon and the valley between the Shawangunk Ridge and the Catskill Plateau below from 2,000 feet up , Bear Hill Preserve would be the place to visit.

From what I’ve seen, Bear Hill Preserve is like a miniature version of Sam’s Point. It has the same sheer white cliffs, jumbled rock slabs, and rare dwarf pine trees. It has similar looking vistas of the landscape below. The longest trail at Bear Hill is about a half mile long while Sam’s Point’s trails run up to 7 miles or more.

Unlike Sam’s Point, Bear Hill is not patrolled by park rangers. In fact, it is in need of funding to maintain Bear Hill. Occasional beer cans and other litter can be found as well as graffiti (not many) on some rocks. The Cragsmoor Association is counting on visitors to “carry out” what they “carried in”.

To raise funds, the association recently shot nature photos of Cragsmoor ladies who “tastefully bared it all for a calendar to benefit the maintenance of the Bear Hill Wildlife Preserve.” (source: http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101023/NEWS/10230325/-1/COMM03; no, there are no photos from the calendar here.) All 250 copies were sold out on the day of the launch. More will be printed. For your copy of the Women of Cragsmoor calendar, you may contact Stedner Printing in Ellenville. Each calendar costs $20.

Next year, the association plans to print a men’s calendar called, “Hunks of the Gunks”.

#1) Trail at Bear Hill Preserve.

#2) Western horizon.

#3) Rocky cliffs.

#4) Graffiti on rocks.

#5) Sun rising behind a dwarf pine tree.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:19 PM   #2

Very nice series...!

I prefer the 3rd landscape to the 2nd as it includes the rocks in the foreground and also seems
to be a better exposure...

They are all very good though...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 5:56 PM   #3

I would like to be in number fours photo, it is 'nice' here in the west, nice and warm...better than raining I suppose...but...want cooler fall like weather...I know, move east, or north...
These are beautiful.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 5:58 PM   #4

oh, by the way, 'taggers' the one who trash places of beauty and put graffiti up...they make wonderful fertilizer...there is a product which takes the stuff off...can't remember the name off hand...something like 'adios'...
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 8:01 AM   #5

Thanks, all, for the compliments.

Wizzard0003, thanks for pointing that out. I do remember experimenting with a higher DeNoise setting for one of the pics -- most likely #3 as you pointed out -- then got so absorbed with treating the sky I forgot about the landscape.

lisalonewolf, I call #4 a natural "arena" because that's what it looked like. It's a nice place to sit in a circle with friends because you'd be shielded from the winds by rock walls that completely surround it. I just noticed it now but it looks like there's a pile of ashes at center. If so, then maybe people build a fire here, too.

Interesting info about "adios". Maybe that's what they used to rid the subway of graffiti...

#6) This natural "tunnel" was behind me when I shot the natural "arena" photo in #4.

#7) Looking southeast.

#8) Sun above dwarf pine tree. The rainbow flare on either side of the sun was actually there on the sky.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:22 PM   #6

Default Hospital use of pictures

My name is John Gavaris and I'm the Director of Support Services at Ellenville Regional Hospital. We are a small community hospital that serves the Town of Wawarsing and surrounding areas. Cragsmoor is a part of our community and truly a visual gem. We have a healing arts gallery which promotes health with inspiring and visually appealing pictures and paintings. I just came across your photos and I was blown away. They truly captured the Bear Hill area and all its beauty. I was wondering if we could have permission to have some of them printed up and displayed in the hospital for our patients. This is strictly for our patients enjoyment and we will not financially benefit in any way from them. If you would like to contact me directly please email me at j.gavaris@ellenvilleregional.org. Please let me know. Thanks
madgreak302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:57 PM   #7

Hi, John. I replied to you through private message. Please let me know if you didn't get my reply.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:50 AM   #8
conor

Great series. The first is by far my favourite. I love the soft yet focused effect you were able to achieve.