Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Nov 23, 2010, 9:49 PM   #21

More nice stuff, VV...!

I like #13 (Fith Avenue)...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 9:07 AM   #22

Thanks, Wizzard0003.

#16) This is also on 5th Avenue in front of NYPL. This was taken in late October when new plants were placed for the fall season.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 9:45 AM   #23

Very nice...!

I've never been to NYC... Is that the edge of Central Park to the right...?
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:47 PM   #24

These are great! Sorry I'm new to bracketing. Did you use a tripod for these and how many exposures?

The 2nd one is just mezmerising.

Last edited by Jyaku; Nov 24, 2010 at 3:44 PM.
Jyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:23 PM   #25

V, The raptured people in shot #1 and their residual shadows are kind of spooky though I suspect it makes a much better effect with them gone.(missed a touch of hair on the one going down the steps). I like the use of lighting and clouds give an ominous overcast that I enjoy seeing. I really like #4 and 5. I see NYC buildings all the time but do not see as many good pictures of things that you have captured in the last 2. I applaud your ability to see things a little differently. Thanks again for sharing Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited by hkmp50; Nov 24, 2010 at 11:30 PM.
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 7:52 AM   #26

Thanks, all.

Wizzard0003, the plants actually form the facade of the New York Public Library between 40th and 42nd Streets. Central Park is not too far away which starts on 59th Street going in back the photographer. The Empire State Building also isn't too far on 34th Street going in front of the photographer.

Jyaku, I go to work in NYC and find carrying a tripod everyday for use on my lunch break inconvenient. So I use a gorillapod. There are plenty of "tabletop" surfaces to use like benches, mailboxes, newspaper vending boxes, and covered trashcans. A "bracket" of shots is a series of shots (I take 5 or more) each with a different speed setting. You can find a description of it in Bynx's HDR sticky here.

Some cameras including my Sony A350 have auto-bracketing. But my camera only takes three shots: -0.7 EV, 0.0EV, and +0.7 EV. Ideally (so textbooks say) it should be from -2.0EV to +2.0EV. I go beyond that range.

I'm not sure what "EV" means but I think it cannot be directly translated into actual shutter speed/aperture combinations. I think it is more of a measure of light coming in.

Anyway, my brackets consist of shots each taken twice faster than the last. For example, my speed settings for a 5-bracket shot would be 15, 8, 4, 2, 1 seconds. (There's no "16" on my camera so I use "15".)

Some weeks ago, I resurrected my old 13-years old Casio Databank wristwatch from my box of unused stuff and put a new battery in. I use its stopwatch to time my remote-shutter-cable-release presses, instead of turning the dial on the camera to change the speeds which caused the shots to be slightly misaligned (and lose sharpness during HDR). My Databank wristwatch is nerdy -- it's stainless steel all around -- and not the usual cool black leather strap I favor nowadays but I'm hoping it would make a comeback. If not, I'd make it come back...

hkmp50, I didn't do manual anti-ghosting when I did the HDR in #1. But I think there really isn't much I can do in the shots I took regarding the residual shadows. Because if I did manual anti-ghosting, it would completely remove some people (which is what we want) but make other people (the ones in the 0.0 EV shot) perfectly clear. Without manual anti-ghosting, DPHDR does somewhere in between but leaves residual shadows and outlines.

I think the solution would be for me to use my ND filter (I have 2), and shoot at even slower speeds so all moving objects will be complete blurs and hopefully completely gone after HDR-processing. Thanks for the comment. I like it when I get to use my filters and gadgets .

#17) Apartment buildings lining Park Avenue south of Grand Central.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote