Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:43 AM   #1

Default Centennial and Bicentennial Parks in Nashville, Tennessee

I took these pictures in Nashville, Tennessee. #1-#3 are from the Centennial Park. #4-#5 are from the Bicentennial Park.

#1) The Parthenon -- a full-scale replica of the Parthenon in Greece -- was built in 1897 to commemorate Tennessee's 100th year since its entry into the union in 1796.

#2) A replica of the Parthenon was chosen because Nashville calls itself, "Athens of the South" (in addition to "Music City"), because of the large concentration of universities in just one city.

#3) The Parthenon was originally built as a temporary structure meant only for the centennial celebration. But Nashvillians decided to keep it -- reinforcing the deteriorating plaster of which it is largely made of with steel and concrete -- and turned it into an art gallery. (source:wikipedia.org)

#4) The Bicentennial Mall State Park (just three miles away from Centennial Park and less than a mile from downtown Nashville) was opened in 1996 to commemorate the 200th year of Tennessee.

#5) Early morning at Bicentennial Mall State Park. The park was "designed to complement the Tennessee Capitol Building" which can be seen in the distance.

#6) Early evening at Bicentennial Mall State Park.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:56 AM   #2

#2 and #6 are my favorite in this series. And here I thought you were overseeing your new septic tank. :-)
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:10 AM   #3

Great series VV ! 2 and 6 for me as well. That nightscape is really neatly compositioned !

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:58 AM   #4

#2, #3, #5, & #6 are all awesome shots!
hoffam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:16 PM   #5

Great work, i like them all but 2, 3 and 6 are very nice.

Excuse my english, i know it is not the best.

Canon Powershot S95
Panasonic HDC SD-10 with sunshade.
Juggernauter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:30 PM   #6

All good but #2, #3, #6 especially...!

What's going on with the clouds in #4...? Looks like the start of several little tornados...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:03 PM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Nashville's a great town which I have visited several times to get my fill of country music. Thanks for bringing back memories of my visits past. Did you also get to visit The Hermitage (ANdrew Jackson's home)? Nice architecture that I'm sure your photography would show off very well!

I love the shots of the Parthenon. What time of day?

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 8:23 PM   #8

Very nicely done vv.
emptyquiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:26 AM   #9

Thanks, all, for the comments and kind words.

Walter, do you mean the clouds? If so, then yes, my septic tank is very fragrant.

Wizzard0003, I noticed the clouds, too, but only during post-processing. I've never seen anything like it either.

Jehan, the Parthenon shots were done at sunset. My wife and I didn't plan on sunset shots, it just happened we made it there at that time. (We were on our way to P.F. Chang, just a few paces away.) The Bicentennial Mall State Park shots were done early in the morning.

Our stay there was very short so we didn't get to experience Nashville as much as we wanted to. We did get to hear country music from fiddler/standup comic Tim Watson on a river cruise. But I also wanted to witness the live music scene in restaurants.

Before taking the nighttime shot at the Bicentennial Mall State Park, we drove around looking for a closer view of the Nashville skyline. We passed a police car parked on the curb with its lights on. We passed it again when we made a u-turn before finally settling on a spot. While setting up my tripod--my wife in the car parked on the road with the hazard lights on--the police car pulled over. I approached the cop and asked, “Is it OK to take pictures? Maybe just for two minutes?” The cop smiled saying, “Yes. I just wanted to make sure you didn’t need any assistance.” Before driving off he added—as if sensing I’m from New York, “We allow people to take pictures.”

The people in Nashville were very nice. The first area my wife and I hit happened to be the upscale part of town (at least to us). At the Cheesecake Factory at Green Hills Mall where we had our lunch, I forgot I was only wearing a plain grey T-shirt (really, an undershirt) when I removed my jacket (I removed my sweater when it got hot at the airport). I felt conscious of my appearance. But no one not even the waiter paid any mind. People around us were generally very trendy (some even suited for business) but weren’t snobs.

Same treatment at P.F. Changs for dinner. I don’t think we looked touristy but we were very graciously treated wherever we went. I guess that’s southern hospitality. We had a really great time at Nashville.

#7) The Parthenon frieze is very intricate.

#8) Columns at Bicentennial Mall State Park.

vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote