Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:38 PM   #1
spy

Default The Glow of a Small Town....(ART)

Disclaimer: This is a long shutter exposure which has rendered this image different which manipulated exposure than what is actual therefore can be construed as a 'slight of hand' trick or deceptive. I may have also tweeked some vibrance, blur and sharpening to achieve the final look.
(Do I have to say this every time?)

On my way home from B.C. last week, I stopped at Mount Rundle in Banff National Park to capture a long exposure displaying the glow from the town of Banff up onto Mount Rundle. The last image I shot sort of like this was done about 3 years ago showing star trails but this time I wanted the tall dark trees in the foreground.

When composing my shots, I try to include some sort of interest in the foreground and background, complimenting the subject, giving the viewer plenty to look at.

Kevin
www.poetryofmotion.com
Attached Images

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2010, 2:21 PM   #2

That is a beautiful picture, Kevin.
The mountain is gorgeous and the silhouette of the trees is great.

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 4:34 PM   #3

What a beautiful photo. The stars are what do it for me.
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 5:03 PM   #4

Beautiful Creation, Kevin.
It all comes together brilliantly, Love the lighting from the town making the mountain glow, The contrasting trees in the foreground and the lightness of the sky with the stars.
My Wife has just called over, Wow! was that done with a torch! It gave me a giggle. ( we have been reading you post about painting with light)
Fantastic.
mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:32 AM   #5

Gorgeous I love the way the trees kinda feather out with the lit up mountain in back ground and then the stars as well... It shows some where out there there i s a town with no problem with lighting no matter how dark it gets! Another great shot Kevin!
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 2:42 PM   #6

Excellent by the way. Let me get this straight in my old feeble mind....your exposure was long enough to highlight both the stars and the mountain, yet not that long that it still rendered the tree line as a silhouette.
emptyquiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 6:55 PM   #7
spy

Thanks again for the comments! Mark, your wife has a sense of humor:0)

Emptyquiver, if this shot was taken during a full moon then the dark trees would have lit up to look normal. As there was no moon or light around for this shot, what is dark stays dark with a 17 second shutter. However, if I was to have taken a 300+ second shot under the same camera settings, the sky and mountain would have been blown out but the trees would have been lit up just by the star light.

It's all about looking at your scene and using what light is available and setting your camera accordingly. In this case when composing this shot, the mountain was brighter than the sky and stars so I chose my ISO's to enhance the mountain quickly and shutter timing of 17 seconds to not show star trailing.

Hope this helps.

Kevin
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 7:30 PM   #8

Hey thanks Kevin, I kinda figured that may of been your approach to this shot, only I had overlooked the use of a higher ISO in the process. Makes sense to me now. Again...great shot.
emptyquiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 8:07 PM   #9

Kevin,
No disclaimer needed - this is just an incredible shot.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:14 AM   #10

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

spy,

Very tasteful colours, complementing each other. Yes, I like the foreground very much

//T

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote