Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 3, 2011, 9:30 AM   #1

Default Big D NYE...

So I got out this New Year Eve and shot the local event. Anyhow... I was not happy that there was power lines in my line of sight, but best I could manage on short notice. Feel Free to comment away.

Bruceswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2011, 9:58 AM   #2
spy

Power lines aside, ....settings and timing are excellent in #2 and 3. #1's highlights are just a little blown. Composition wise.....either pan out just a little to include the foreground to see the whole story then zoom in to capture people standing in their balconies with the fireworks right there in front of them. Zooming in on a scene captures the intimate sections...just a corner of the action leads the viewer to want to see more....it plays with ones imagination and also leaves a striking photo.

Fireworks displayed in a specific section often take several years to shoot as you always wish you were in a different spot or used other lenses/settings or tried other angles. You'd be surprised just how many maintenance people in these high rise buildings would allow you to shoot from roof tops if you first did the ground work early enough in the year to introduce yourself as a photographer with a desire to capture the display from a different angle. Sometimes management companies will have no problem letting you on the roof if you give them an image for their advertising. You improve your portfolio and they get something they may need. Win, win.

Seek it out and let us know how you did.

Kevin
www.poetryofmotion.com
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:33 PM   #3

You have to remember when shooting fireworks, you have no idea what is coming next, so when you use a timer... it is all about how much time you set it up. I used a 15 second timer and shot away.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:23 PM   #4

I should also add, I cropped out a good bit of the foreground and some of the sides / top due to 2 big lights that made the image blah.