Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:02 PM   #11

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1974 View Post
Hi Torgny

I admire you presenting something for discussion here.

In the vast majority of 'photography' (and in general, in life) - I wish to express reality, and to see it in others. The 'paintings', scupltures, etc I like best, are those which look life like (maybe from a distance, or from an angle).

So I think I hear what you're saying. There are many photos that are truly over post processed. Some have so much added saturation they almost hurt my eyes. The subtlty of colour, light, composition is often very difficult to share, but it's special. There are also many parts in nature which are truly vibrant colours. (like a flower, a plant caught in the sunlight, blue skies, sunsets / sunrises, and e.g. your skies).

I do take the point too that photography can present something that our eyes at times can't do (e.g. such a thin depth of field) - which can be useful to show, capture.

Anyway, I like your photos above. Especially the composition of photos 1 and 2, and colour of the sky in photo 3.

Can you please clarify, were you taking some photos a short time apart, and demonstrating the different light (e.g. difference between photo 3 and 4) or desaturating?

Cheers.

Paul

Paul,

I found myself in the absurd situation that I wanted to show some pictures of a very colourful new years eve over the city.

I didn't dare to post them the way they were (from RAW and in-camera .jpeg the same) because you don't know anymore what is real and what is postprocessed

That's why there are desaturated versions to compare

Simply I do want people to know that personally I do very little postprocessing and like everone else I want people to trust that there is very little manipulation in my tries to learn photography

Torgny

Paul. An area as vast as Spain and France together under water - a catastrophe. We think of you on the opposite side of the planet

Cheers

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:16 PM   #12

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy View Post
Though I can appreciate your hostile mood Torgny as they are your feelings, I'm not about to tell you to not feel that way.

However, I will say that I DON'T post on your forums pointing out how plain your photos are or find some essay on the web articling on 'People Who Have No Imagination'and tuck it in somewhere on your threads. I DON'T send you a PM telling you to "watch your mouth" as you've done with me when I offered kind suggestions to Sharpshotgal. I DON'T go on your threads getting all hormonal making comments you might be getting a "big head" and that I'm getting tired of your thread when you've got 14+ posts commenting how great your plain photos of grass are.

You refuse to clarify your comments to my posts when asked by either myself or the site Moderator and I simply do not know where your coming from when you do comment on my threads. I don't know if your trying to kill me with kindness; coming through the front door with your dagger or through the back door.

You've never treated others with your special kindness as you have with me......at least I've not read any....and I already know according to you I'm the "poster boy" of fake or imposter but I really don't care. You do not define me.

However Torgny, with all this said, I do wish you well....keep posting, your photography is very much liked by many people.

Kevin,

You are the the top photographer at the landscape section of this site. Your expressive photos speak to the intellect as well as to the feelings, whatever that is.

You are also a trendsetter. That gives you a special responsability, I think.

I believe you too have noticed that there is an extensive use of photo manipulation in various photo sharing sites.

I like you and your special form of photo art

Torgny

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.

Old Jan 10, 2011, 3:13 AM   #13

Ha ha - well you've stirred up a hornets nest here haven't you

Personally I feel it's to each his own, photography covers a whole plethora or realism and artistic forms so IMHO there is no real need to define one form as the 'true' art and another branch as 'manufactured' - even if in e.g. HDR they obviously are. For many people photography is their 'Art' and today PP is a greater or lesser, but always intrinsic, part of that art.

There really is no 'true' unprocessed photography because the manufacturers default settings (including those you can't change) in cameras influence the shots you take .,,. and in film the dark room processing had the same function.

Nice 'shots' BTW !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:09 AM   #14

Frogfish,

Thank you very much for viewing and the comments

Torgny

Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:21 AM   #15

All very cool. I like the first 2 best.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 3:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
It is with great sadness I see Photography being compromised by too much processing. The risk is that you don't even open your eyes when something really original is presented.

Too many of the "shots" (What a stupid word) posted on forums should be posted in Digital Art sections

Photographers have a special responsability visavis the reality. It's a question of morality. We are not playing here, are we? Trying to depict reality is the hallmark of Photography
Hi Torgny,
Well i just cant agree, It's your strong opinion.

""""The risk is that you don't even open your eyes when something really original is presented.""

For me the opposite is true, I look more at everything now, I look to see what it is and what it could be, and flick between the images in my head to get the feel I would like. thats the reality for me.

My opinion is That I,m happy to see any type of landscape here whether it's out of camera of heavily manipulated. But I would say that, as I like to manipulate the image. So you could say thats my Biased opinion.
And it's just that.
Instead of moving manipulated images to digital art we could have a section "called out of camera" and all straight posts could go there. Ha ha, Lead balloon springs to mind. That wasn't a serious suggestion just a thinker. It works or more appropriately doesn't work both ways. But its again just my opinion.
Who wants to get irritated??? cant we just chill out and accept things. Change happens, weather we like it or not and were part of a rapidly moving time. Hold on to your hat and embrace it. Thats what I say. No hard feelings.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 4:15 PM   #17

Mark,

Thank you very much for viewing and the comments. All views are valid. Sometimes it's a good thing to break up unhealthy social structures at forums, I think

Torgny

Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:21 PM   #18
spy

Torgny, this thread has weighed heavy with me since you’ve posted not only this thread but this sideways slam compounds the jabs you’ve taken at me on several other posts of mine. I have this further post to say more about it. I’ve until now have said nothing, holding my tongue; taken the ‘high road’ if you will, but I have no more cheeks for you to slap and I’m speaking my mind.

What got you so hostile to begin this thread was a photo you took showing a very naturally saturated scene and you wrestled with thinking you should desaturate it to make it look more normal. Just simply the thought of making one colour adjustment pushed you off your edge resulting in slamming not only myself but others on this site for making pp adjustments to our own images. It is your belief that doing so makes us all “imposters” displaying “fakes”. Were you trying to make friends or display your positive PR skills with this thread? Do you actually want us to continue commenting on your photos after slamming most everyone here? Is this really the hill you want to die on?

How do you justify labelling me and all the others with your ‘brush’ on one hand and turn around after the fact once we’ve posted to say we’re ‘ok’, that we’ve passed some test? We didn’t pass any test, remember, we all have made and posted pp images. We’re imposters and fakes according to you.

You then attempt to haul your sinking ship up to the surface by buttering me up by saying I’m the top photographer at the landscape section. No, Torgny, according to you I’ve joined the ranks of an imposter, a fake, a fraud, immoral ……use your 20 + years of being a linguistic major to come up with more terms/titles.

This thread and your previous jabs at me either on open forums or via PM is just mean spirited and I actually pity you that you feel you have to be this way. You choose to take your lingustic major to tear down and cut rather than to use your skills in a positive manner to encourage. You say I have a “responsibility” here which is to post unedited photos…..I don’t agree and it’s not written in any agreement here on Steve’s. The only self responsibility I have here is to encourage, to give constructive criticism if I feel like it, to not be vulgar and be reasonable.

My responsibility is not to stop people from using pp skills. That’s like asking me to stand in front of a title wave and stop it from crashing ashore. If photographers feel they need to pp an image to express how they feel, who am I to say they’re immoral or imposters for doing that? I’m not joining your crusade.

If you wish to work up the masses for a worthy cause, how about taking on photography websites that steal copywrite ownership of images that win contests and make photographers sign to that fact.

Kevin

Last edited by spy; Jan 10, 2011 at 5:29 PM.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:04 PM   #19

Kevin,

Thank you very much for your interest in this thread. All opinions are valid

Torgny

Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:07 PM   #20
Super Moderator

There seems to be something that could explode out of this thread so I will just ask people to be civil.

Back to the original premise that we shouldn't edit anything, where do we stop, where do we start?

Should all in camera settings be to 0? What about film days, changing the exposure, dodging, burning.... or double exposures? How about something more simple, changing the exposure, does that give an inaccurate depiction as things so shouldn't be done?

What about using flash, that isn't natural?

You say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
It is with great sadness I see Photography being compromised by too much processing. The risk is that you don't even open your eyes when something really original is presented.

Too many of the "shots" (What a stupid word) posted on forums should be posted in Digital Art sections

Photographers have a special responsability visavis the reality. It's a question of morality. We are not playing here, are we? Trying to depict reality is the hallmark of Photography
What about your post Thor's Bay Blues or http://forums.steves-digicams.com/se...9&pp=25&page=5 or fianlly Two Houses ???

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote