Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:35 PM   #21

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Mark1616,

Thank you very much for viewing and the comments. All views are valid. Sometimes it's a good thing to break up unhealthy social structures at forums, I think

Torgny

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:37 PM   #22
Super Moderator

Not sure I understand, what are the unhealthy social structures?

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:08 PM   #23

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Gentlemen,

Let's cool off. We are all the best of friends. First over the bay wins. By foot

Torgny
Attached Images

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.

Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:14 PM   #24

That first shot is heartbreakingly beautiful, Torgney. It is the best thing I have seen today.

As you know, I us a lot of post processing, sometimes to get back to the impression the scene gave me, and sometimes to show something else. Photography is as much to show others a private reality, as it is to record facts.

I am one of your admirers on this board not least because you take pains to show just what is there.

But I'll probably still fool around with HDR and whatever.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:22 PM   #25
spy

Thin ice is not the best place to be playing on Torgny, looks like you should move to better ground.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy View Post
Thin ice is not the best place to be playing on Torgny, looks like you should move to better ground.

Kevin,

My two medium sized sledge dogs would safely take me over the ice. Waiting for you on the other side of Thor's Bay. For snow I would need two more

//T

Last edited by Torgny; Jan 10, 2011 at 8:34 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:29 AM   #27
Super Moderator

I am just going to reiterate Mark's point to keep it civil, not only here as well please.

That said. I don't think we have any responsibility as a photographer to anyone, that is except for yourself. You have a responsibility to your own artistic style, and that is it. Whatever that style may be and there is room in this world for all kinds, you only have responsibility to yourself. Unless you work for the news media.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:36 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
I am just going to reiterate Mark's point to keep it civil, not only here as well please.

That said. I don't think we have any responsibility as a photographer to anyone, that is except for yourself. You have a responsibility to your own artistic style, and that is it. Whatever that style may be and there is room in this world for all kinds, you only have responsibility to yourself. Unless you work for the news media.

Dustin,

This is labeled as a diskussion forum. The topic is not without interest. With all the software available it may be hard to see the difference between heavy manipulation and "the real thing"

Torgny

Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:07 AM   #29
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
Dustin,

This is labeled as a diskussion forum. The topic is not without interest. With all the software available it may be hard to see the difference between heavy manipulation and "the real thing"

Torgny
Yes, of course, that is why i prefaced my opinion with "I don't think.." and this topic is one that has been debated since the first time someone snapped a photo.

my question back to you. is that if you have trouble seeing the difference between "reality" and a manipulated image, is there a problem? I understand that your preference is images that depict reality closely. if an edited image depicts reality to the point that you have hard time to see difference, is that not a success?

as it is probably well known at this point, i see photography as a form of art and open to interpretation. for me a close depiction of reality is not necessary, for me if i find it aesthetically appealing, i find it to be successful. and i find many images that are both more heavily edited and those with minimal editing can be equally pleasing for different scenes and for different reasons.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Yes, of course, that is why i prefaced my opinion with "I don't think.." and this topic is one that has been debated since the first time someone snapped a photo.

my question back to you. is that if you have trouble seeing the difference between "reality" and a manipulated image, is there a problem? I understand that your preference is images that depict reality closely. if an edited image depicts reality to the point that you have hard time to see difference, is that not a success?

as it is probably well known at this point, i see photography as a form of art and open to interpretation. for me a close depiction of reality is not necessary, for me if i find it aesthetically appealing, i find it to be successful. and i find many images that are both more heavily edited and those with minimal editing can be equally pleasing for different scenes and for different reasons.

Dustin,

Photography is a new artform seeking it's identity. Personally I prefer photography to any other artform just because it deals with reality. You've got some points I very much would like to respond to

I'll do it in a private mail if you allow, when I'm prepared. Basically we have the same views. I'll try to explain where the views might differ

I can give a hint; making pictures is not fun at all (to me that is, of course), it's "dead serious" and a pain every time I press the shutter. Sorry if this is too personal

Thank you

Torgny