Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:49 AM   #1

Default Fourth Snowstorm This Season

We had the fourth snowstorm (I think) this season. We're being hammered. And temps are going to be below freezing the next couple of days so all that snow isn't going to melt.

I took this picture of Bryant Park this morning.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:20 PM   #2

WOW, now this is the kind of shot that impresses...don't think I would sit and have coffee soon...seats are a little chilly. Still the fountain flows. Lot less advertisement here...thank goodness. Beautiful angle.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 3:42 PM   #3

Thanks a lot, Lisa. The snow is actually dry -- you can brush it off, in case you still want to have coffee.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 7:44 PM   #4

I love this capture. How often do you get a chance to take a shot like this without anyone in the frame in NYC?

I'm curious, what HDR program are you using? I like your understated use of it as it adds to the depth of the photograph but is not overwhelming.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:24 PM   #5

Very Nicely Done!!!! I've seen your work for a while now and you can definitely see your skill set increasing. It's nice to witness. Thanks for sharing.

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 2:24 AM   #6

Brr they sure are springing up to the snow line there in New York! While we are drowning in the rains here in Washington a freezing rain but it dont stay long at all... ya got up early I see!
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 8:57 AM   #7

Thanks, all.

Zig, I take pictures on my walk to work early in the morning so the tourists aren't out yet. (There are some tourists out early in the morning mostly families and because of their colorful attire they stick out of the mostly working crowd in black wardrobe. They're always a delight to see especially so early in the morning.) Still, my main peeve would be the buses and taxicabs that stop in front of me to load or unload passengers.

When I took the picture of the M&M's World in Times Square, for example, after taking the first 3 of my 6 or so bracketed shots crouched on the sidewalk street corner in front of my gorillapod, a taxicab stopped in front of me. The driver looked at me with an expression like, "sorry, dude," stepped out, opened the trunk, pulled out the passenger's wheelchair, then helped the passenger onto it. It took a full three minutes before I can continue my bracket. Three minutes may not sound like much but with all the pedestrians walking fast behind me who some I suspect purposely bump into me (you just have to learn to ignore them -- it's New York) not to mention being out in the freezing cold it felt like forever.

Iím using Dynamic Photo HDR 4. I think itís the cheapest out there at $55. But I think itís as good if not better than more expensive ones. I like it because of its pin-warp and anti-ghosting which I havenít seen on other newer HDR software.

Shutterbug, sometimes, I think Iím learning photography and post-processing the wrong way, that is, the ďcheesy routeĒ by trying out the cool stuff first instead of the basics. Iím glad to know Iím improving.

Sharpshotgal, it was November when I was in Seattle many years ago and I remember gray skies and rain are pretty typical. I think, however, lighting like that for landscapes as opposed to bright, sunshiny days would be great for photography. I remember a coffeetable book given to me by my London co-workers filled with England wilderness pics under gray skies (like the pics Condorman takes), I loved it.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:05 AM   #8

F*ckin' awesome...as usual !

Congrats !
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:19 AM   #9

Terrific shot. and good pp too. I'm having a big problem getting interesting photos in the winter. working on it tho. i know it's not the exposure. it's my composition. so practice, practice....
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:29 AM   #10

Thanks, Marawder, Frank.

#2) I thought I'd add another one taken at Bryant Park on the same day.