Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 27, 2011, 3:12 PM   #1

Default Seventh Snowstorm in NYC

It snowed heavily again for the seventh time this season -- and we're just barely past the first month of winter -- so I took pictures on my way to work this morning.

#1) Hell's Kitchen frozen over.

#2) Times Square theater district.

#3) Bryant Park.

#4) New York Public Library.

#5) Like this woman, everywhere people on their way to work are stopping to take pictures with their cellphones.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2011, 3:27 PM   #2

NICE set of photos! I love the color!
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 3:33 PM   #3

Not so nice, after a month in SE Asia, and coming back to all this snow. Not nice at all. But the colors on the photos are nice.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 4:25 AM   #4

Great shots, a lot of snow, look on the bright side it might keep the cities undesirables of the streets
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:32 AM   #5

Thanks, cmoy, shoturtle, musket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket View Post
Great shots, a lot of snow, look on the bright side it might keep the cities undesirables of the streets
Yes, the CEOs and top execs are all in Florida vacationing just kidding.

#6) NYPL. One more thing on the bright side of snow is traffic moves at a crawl. I was crouching in front of my gorillapod in the middle of 41st Street when I took photos for this HDR. Should a car or truck make a turn (it's a one way street going my direction), I have plenty of time to get out of the way. Any other day vehicles will be turning into this street careening.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:49 AM   #6

ok vvcarpio. do you think it's the scene, your choice of composition, or your pp that is making these pictures so great? how about posting an ooc copy and then a tidied up one? i'm very interested in doing some pp of course, but not too much. thanks.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:55 AM   #7

Hi, Frank. Sure. I'm not sure what "ooc" means but I assume it's an unprocessed version. Thanks for the compliment!

For my snow pics, I did use the magic wand to select the white snow and brightened it up a tad.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Jan 28, 2011 at 7:59 AM. Reason: Edit: I made the image bigger (1024 x 681)
Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:01 AM   #8

ooc = out of camera.

so i can see you do white balance correction, brighten, add contrast and saturation same as everybody. anything else in your workflow? i like the result but i take lots of photos and i'm not going to do each image individually. and how did you get the sky back in that sample shot? was there more detail in the raw? or are you doing multi-expoure hdr? thanks for revealing your secrets.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:28 AM   #9

Yes, I do all those things you mention, but not necessarily all on every pic. Sometimes, even when I attempt to correct white balance, I end up liking the "ooc" version better so I leave it alone.

Regarding details in the sky, yes, the picture is an HDR. But only the foreground (NYPL and surrounding buildings, streets) is HDR. The sky is not. I took another picture with a faster shutter speed for the sky.

Basically I take 8 or more shots with each shot getting progressively darker. The shutter speed of each shot I take is half that of the previous. For example: 2 sec, 1 sec, 0.5 sec, 1/4 sec, etc. ( So it's a "geometric progression" of shutter speeds, according to wikipedia.org.)

I then take the first 5 (or more) brightest images and create the HDR. Since clouds move (resulting in "choppy" or "sliced" clouds), I replace the HDR image's sky with one of my darker exposures.

I also use Topaz Detail on the foreground and Topaz Adjust on the skies. I use Topaz ReMask to select the foreground for copying-and-pasting onto the background-sky-image. I then use Topaz DeNoise after resizing the image and sharpen with Photoshop.

I hope this helps. I also recently just learned about Photoshop's luminance slider in Image->Adjustments->Match Color (not sure why it's hidden there) which I think is great for making skies appear luminous.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:49 AM   #10

Thanks for explaining. I'm finding it very difficult to get good pictures with the drab skies and dirty snow. i'm game for a little hdr effort.