Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 6, 2011, 4:27 PM   #1

Default Nathaniel Hill Brick House

The brick house in Montgomery, NY built by one of the earliest settlers of Orange County, Nathaniel Hill, is simply known as "the brick house". Nathaniel Hill's family has lived in it since 1768 and was donated to the county in 1975. It is now a museum open during the non-winter months. The family today allows the land around the brick house to be used as a park. (source: wikipedia.org)

My wife and I have been to its sister historic house, "the stone house" at the Hill Hold Museum, last summer. From that tour I remember it being said that anyone was free to come to either house to take photographs even when the museums were closed. I took these pictures early this morning.

#1) Nathaniel Hill Brick House.

#2) Side of the house facing west. I'm actually trying out my new ultra-wide lens -- a Tamron 10-24mm -- which arrived just a few days ago. I'm not an expert on lenses and whatnot but I (and my wife) love it.

#3) Orange County Farmers' Museum. Many farm equipment are on display some animal-drawn antiques...

#4) ...and some mechanized but, um, nevertheless ancient.

#4) Barn beside the farm museum.

#5) The approach from Berea Road.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2011, 4:43 PM   #2

Absolutely gorgeous vvc. The scene is like a picture postcard. How lucky you are to have such photo opportunities in NY. Enjoy your new lens! Cheers Lyn
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 5:55 AM   #3

Yes absolutely great photos with no4
being my favourite, I think the nice colors
and softness of the light.

John 6:53-55
flasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:30 AM   #4

Thank you, Lyn. A friend of mine also said "postcard". I wonder if the ultra-wide angle lens has something to do with it. In any case, I'm glad you liked the pics because I'm starting to enjoy my new lens.

Thank you, flasha, especially for the comment on #4. I wanted the sun to be a little higher but that was as high as my tripod would go. So knowing these "technical difficulties" got in my way of appreciating the scene. Your comment made me see #4 in a much more favorable light.

#6) The blacksmith shed.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 12:05 PM   #5

I am enjoying my visits to New York through your posts, both city and country.

This is another series where you were able to get the sun in just the right spot so it is visible but not overpowering. The historic buildings do a have charm to them.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 1:47 PM   #6

Grrrreeeeeeeeeeeeat Images Billy. 1 3 and 6 are my faves, love um.
I see the lens at 10mm niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiice! oo yeaaaaa, you is a
sm sm sm o kinnnnnnnnn. What lens did you get?? I got Tamron 10-24 and like it a lot..
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 8:21 PM   #7

Thanks, bluenose. I guess the price to pay is the long commute. But for me it's worth it. I'm glad you enjoy the pics because I too enjoy both country and city.

Thanks, Mark. I got the Tamron 10-24 so I guess it's the same. I like it a lot, too. The 10mm end is a lot of fun. It might replace my Tamron 18-200mm as my "regular" lens as I take mostly landscapes and buildings anyway. I now remember your pics and realize they (or most of them anyway) are ultra-wide angle shots. I can now experiment with similar in-your-face pics that you post and that I liked a lot.

#7) I don't think this is a go-kart but unless anyone knows what it its, it will remain unidentified until I visit in the spring when the museum opens.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 8:31 PM   #8

I like #6 could you be persuaded to reveal the settings, filters etc?

Last edited by philby; Feb 8, 2011 at 8:33 PM.
philby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:40 AM   #9

Hi, philby -- sure.

For #6, from the EXIF data:

Focal Length: 16.0mm (35mm equivalent: 24mm)
Aperture: f/25.0
Exposure Time: 0.067 s (1/15)
ISO equiv: 200
White Balance: Manual
Light Source: Daylight

ISO 200 is accidental. I forgot to set it back to ISO 100 after shooting some indoor photos the day before.

I took 8 shots with the slowest at 1 second and the fastest at 1/125 sec. I set my aperture at the narrowest, f/25, so I can get the max star-like pattern on the sun. The narrow aperture also maximizes depth-of-field (although I think f/8 will do for dof).

(I also use the narrowest aperture when shooting city scenes. This way I can slow down my shutter speed and make moving people and traffic nearly invisible. So you can say I always shoot at the narrowest aperture which is a personal preference. Of course, I use a tripod or the big gorillapod that can support my DSLR.)

I used to set my white balance to "auto" but now I set it to "manual". I do so in case I want to stitch a panorama later. You can say I was inspired by Walter S' panoramas.

Of the 8 shots I took, I used only the first 6 (the brighter ones) to generate the HDR image. I then cut out the HDR image's foreground and pasted it on one of the darker (underexposed) shots which has a deeper sky and more cloud detail.

Here are some of the images I used to create the final image:

Middle shot (out-of-camera):

HDR image created by DPHDR5 with the optional Fusion step:

This is the sky I used. It is image #7 (also out-of-camera) of the 8 shots I took. The last image, #8, was already too dark.

I hope this helps.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:54 AM   #10

I thought I would add one more.

#8) In my weekend trips searching for country scenes to photograph I could have gone to the brick house several times before but didn’t thinking I’d only be taking pictures of a house. But when I finally went there early Sunday morning, I was surprised to find many antique farm equipments on display. There were wooden sheds and shacks that take you back in time. And there was a creek by the house -- water is always fun to take pictures of -- although I didn’t go there because my tracks across the snow would have been the only ones and would have ruined the otherwise picture-perfect, pristine appearance of the house.

Many times I see decrepit but nevertheless idyllic-looking country barns as I drive around my county. They must be beautiful to photograph especially when set against purely natural landscapes. But I dare not take pictures because they’re on private land and I have to respect the owner’s choices of living peaceful lifestyles.

So taking these pictures at the Brick House Museum last Sunday it felt comforting to know that through the generosity of families like Nathaniel Hill’s and the county’s perseverance in permanently preserving its historical past, the sudden urges by those driven to capture the beauty that man has added onto Nature will never go un-quenched.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Feb 9, 2011 at 9:11 AM.