Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 11, 2011, 8:17 PM   #1

Default Night photography question about stars

Hello all,

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question but after hours of searching on google i wasn't able to find an answer to it.

Is there anyway to get the stars in the photo to appear larger than they really are without photoshop magic?

I thought of an article i read in outdoor photographer magazine a few years back, it demonstrated how using a telephoto lens (such as the 100-300mm used in the article) you can make the sun appear larger in the photo then it really is. It showed a giraffe in the distance and a huge sun behind it. Would this technique work when photographing the stars.

It's been cloudy the past few nights and with the temperature around 2 degrees late at night, i really don't want to risk frostbite and damage to the camera unless i know it might work.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

-Travis-
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2011, 3:42 PM   #2

G'day Travis

Sorry mate - the stars are so far away that even with a 2000mm lens they'll still look like stars
However, the planets will become larger, as they're close enough for a big-lens to see
I'd suggest that you locate your local astro club & meet up with them - one will surely have a 'real-good' astro telescope and save you the $$$ in getting a very powerful lens that you can't use for land based stuff because of atmospheric haze

fwiw - I believe that a common astro telescope uses a 14-inch relector - I'm told that this equates to about a 4000mm camera lens ... should get something nice with one of them !!

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote