Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:53 AM   #1

Default Ravenswood Startrails

D7000, Nikkor 10-24
stars: 270 x 120sec, f4.8, ISO400
foreground: 60sec, f4.8, ISO400

The foreground was lit by the setting sun to the right and an SB400 on another DSLR to the left to fill in some shadows

Total shoot time was 9.5 hours, I had a md-b11 battery grip on the D7000 but it did the whole shoot on the first battery!

Last edited by hakka; Mar 3, 2011 at 12:16 PM.
hakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:59 PM   #2

One of the best photos I have seen on this site! So you used interval timer combined with multiple exposure?
diverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 1:02 PM   #3

This is absolutely stunning!
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 1:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdave View Post
So you used interval timer combined with multiple exposure?
Yes, I had to keep the exposure time down to avoid blowing out the sky in the bottom right corner, the glow is from a nearby town. The other option would have been to reduce the aperture size or ISO setting but that would result in capturing less stars.

I took a few different foreground shots using different flash power so I had a wide range of foreground exposures to choose from, then I switched over to a programmable timer for the 270 star shots. i wrapped the lens in air activated hand warmers to prevent condensation/fogging. I used photoshop to stack the star shots using lighten blend mode and applied a saturation boost to the stars, then manually blended in the foreground shots.

Last edited by hakka; Mar 3, 2011 at 1:19 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 1:40 PM   #5

The result of some hard/long work. Excellent result, one to be proud of.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 2:37 PM   #6

G'day hakka

Very, very nice & technically extremely well done
congratulations on a fine image - print it to 20 x 30" and put it on the lounge room wall

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:48 PM   #7
spy

Another excellent shot from you. Tells us a little bit of how you prepared for this 9.5 hour shoot. Did you pull out the sleeping blanket right there or wait it out in the car or is this your back yard so watched it all from the kitchen window? Did you have any humorous moments or freeze your fingers off?
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy View Post
Another excellent shot from you. Tells us a little bit of how you prepared for this 9.5 hour shoot. Did you pull out the sleeping blanket right there or wait it out in the car or is this your back yard so watched it all from the kitchen window? Did you have any humorous moments or freeze your fingers off?

I started around 7:30pm, the location was a 1 hour walk from where I left the car, thats a long way when you're carrying a backpack full of cameras and 2 manfrotto 055xprobs with gear heads. I shot another one at the same time but it isn't as good as this one.

I took the foreground shots and set the programmable timers going, then headed back to the car and watched some TV on the laptop. about 12:30 I walked back there to swap the batteries on the D3100 and replace the hand warmers that I used to stop the lenses fogging.

At this point I realised I didn't have the D3100 set on bulb so there was a small dummy spit before I walked back to the car again to grab a feed and a quick sleep.

Around 5am I went back and packed everything up and lugged it back to the car, this last walk was quite a struggle, the whole way back I was thinking I was crazy for doing this.

Once I got home and had a quick look through the shots I knew I was going to end up with something good, I set the stacking process in motion and went to bed.

I already have my next one planned, just waiting for clear still night to do it, the best bit is the location is only 10 minutes from the nearest carpark.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Last edited by hakka; Mar 4, 2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 3:09 AM   #9

This is photography!
diverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 8:19 PM   #10
spy

That is serious dedication and nothing but sheer will and determination to achieve an amazing shot. My hat is off to you for raising that bar high.....very high.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote