Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Apr 19, 2011, 7:56 AM   #1

Default Nevele Falls in Ellenville, NY

Chances are you’d miss the falls if you didn’t know it’s there. Nevele Falls is tucked neatly into narrow fold just 60 yards off the highway. If your head isn’t turned to your right as you drive by at 55 mph you’d never see it, even if, like us, you’ve lived in the region and driven on that highway many times. I only learned of the waterfall from a local bookstore. So, needless to say I went there right away to take pictures.

Nevele Falls is in the village of Ellenville in the town of Wawarsing, NY. It is called Nevele -- “eleven” spelled backwards -- because legend has it that eleven schoolteachers discovered the falls in the 1800s during a party. Ellenville is 90 miles northwest of New York City and 90 miles southeast of Albany and sits between the Catskill Mountains to the west and the Shawangunk Mountains to the east. So it probably became a tourist destination in the early 1900s because you can say it is pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

Taking pictures of late seems to be taking a new turn for me. Whereas before, I‘d rush to a location, take pictures, then hurry back so I can process the pictures on my computer, lately I often feel an urge to go to a quiet place and bring my camera along. It could be a park in New York City or a lake in the Catskills. Sort of like, standing behind my camera mounted on my tripod amidst the grandeur brings a trance that shuts out the rest of the world and that I now look forward to regularly having.

And maybe that’s what photography should be like. Unless you’re a photojournalist constantly running for cover in a war, maybe photography should be less about building a portfolio, finding photographic challenges, and looking for terrific captures to show off, but more about taking in the view, taking the mind away from the hustle and bustle of life, and then taking some pictures.

If so, then my discovering Nevele Falls couldn’t have come at a better time.

Oookaay. So much for melodrama. Please feel free to comment and critique. Thank you for looking.

#1) Nevele Falls in Ellenville, NY. There's a trail on the left which I followed all the way to the falls.

#2)
There's a wall of a previous dam if I remember the book right which blocks the view of the falls when up close.

#3) But there's plenty of good spots to take pictures from including from the bridge on the highway itself.

#4) Even with directions I couldn't find the falls. I was supposed to turn into Chapel Street (which the book calls Chapel Road) and park there but nowhere was the falls.

#5) When I made a U-turn on Chapel Street to head back was when I saw it. Nevele Falls was straight ahead when coming out of Chapel Street.

#6) I went to Ellenville to take more pictures. These are shops on Canal Street.

#7) View along Route 52 which hugs the western side of the Shawangunk Mountains on my way home from Ellenville heading towards Cragsmoor.

vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2011, 9:37 AM   #2

Love the shots. All really nice.

I totally agree with you said. It's fun taken shots of fantastic places and later having them to enjoy again and again, but it can never replace the physical thrill of being there. Make time to stop and smell the roses.

jj
jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:24 AM   #3

Default Great Pics

Thank you for the very nice tranquil shots, they are great. I like your thoughts about just going out and enjoying the setting and not just taking pics and running off. Some days I can go out for the day and get lost taking pics and it's it's better than a tranquilizer!
LuTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuTech View Post
Thank you for the very nice tranquil shots, they are great. I like your thoughts about just going out and enjoying the setting and not just taking pics and running off. Some days I can go out for the day and get lost taking pics and it's it's better than a tranquilizer!
I agree 100% with that sentiment. Very nice pics, I especially like #2. I think the HDR effect could be dialed down just a little, but that's just me.
Fujifilm FinePix HS10, Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR, Pentax E-80 P&S, Sunpak auto383 flash, Optex slave flash, Velbon VGB3 heavy-metal tripod, TechPro TP-242 tripod with B62 ballhead, assorted filters and other bits.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:46 AM   #5

Fantastic shots. And sentiments echo mine. I have gone with several friends to various places. Some have this odd need to 'get there at record speed' and not enjoy the trip. Some, like myself, like to enjoy the scenery and stop around most turnouts...never know what you might find. It is the finding of it that is the fun. That and photographing it....
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:06 PM   #6

What a lovely place. I'm glad you took the time to enjoy the scenery which you have captured very well.
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 7:41 PM   #7

Excellent set. From these photos, Ellenville looks like a really nice village. I like that you took the time to tell the story behind its name, and that's an additional knowledge for all of us here. I also appreciate your thoughts regarding the importance of taking the time to enjoy the whole scene around you and not hurrying to process the photos. Thanks for sharing these wonderful stills.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:28 PM   #8

I especially like the first and last shots which draw the viewer into the scene.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 8:15 AM   #9

Thank you, all -- I appreciate all the comments.

toshi, I think I know what you mean about the HDR. I process on two computers (one at home and one at work) and look at the pics on a third screen, my Blackberry. If it lacks color in one screen I'd increase saturation. I may overdo from time to time. (I tried calibrating but couldn't make the two monitors show the same quality.)

A friend of mine who grew up in the area informed me the falls is not Nevele Falls -- they called it Chapel Street Falls but the town historian told her it's Buttermilk Falls. Nevele Falls is somewhere in the area (perhaps the same stream) but she's never been there.

I referred to it as Nevele Falls because the book I bought does so. The book can be seen here: http://www.amazon.com/New-York-Water...der_0811705862

If you "search inside this book" for "nevele" then click "next result" (first result is the Table of Contents), it will take you to page 12 onwards where on page 13 it calls Buttermilk Falls, "Nevele Falls". I will contact the author/publisher for the correction.

John, yes, Ellenville is a nice village with nice people. I think it has seen better days though with the Nevele Resort Hotel -- the biggest draw in terms of tourism -- closing down in 2009 due to financial difficulties. Ellenville is still however a hub in the region with the Chamber of Commerce regularly holding events like art, concerts, festivals, and parades. It is on the western side of the Shawangunk Scenic Byway which circles the Shawangunk Mountains (pronounced shon-gum by the locals but sha-wan-gunk is accepted).

I added a few more pics, all from Ellenville.

#8) The Hunt Memorial Building in downtown Ellenville was completed in 1918. It is located where the old inn, The Hoornbeek Tavern, used to be. The inn was where important town meetings were held including the decision to name the town Ellenville after one of its women residents named Ellen. In 1982, a man named Seymour Friend bought the building. It is now owned by the Village of Ellenville. (source: http://www.huntmemorial.com/history.html)

#9) Ellenville owns three copies of the statue, "The Boy with the Leaking Boot", found in many small towns in America. (see: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/set/boot.html)

#10) Ellenville Depot. In the early 1900s this used to be a train station where tourists from the city would disembark. Automobiles weren't widely used then (nor were they dependable) so passengers would continue on in horse carriages to different destinations in the Catskills and the Shawangunks. It is now home to a local business. (source: http://www.wawarsing.net/ page 1, page 2)

#11) An antiques store beside Ellenville Depot.

#12) A curious relic of a van was parked beside Ellenville Depot. The purple building in back and the green Ellenville Depot at right reminded me that with Woodstock not too far away, I am still in hippie country.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 9:24 AM   #10

Thanks for the additional pics. I was wondering what camera you were using and have these pics been enhanced in any way?
LuTech is offline   Reply With Quote