Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old May 9, 2011, 5:21 PM   #1

Default My Very 1st Night Out (Star Trails)

C/C welcomed thanks for looking
Canon 5D II EF 24-105

hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2011, 7:32 AM   #2

That number 1 is a very interesting shot.

jj
jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 7:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdog2 View Post
That number 1 is a very interesting shot.

jj
Thanks but I am trying to figure out why I am getting these breaks in my stars, maybe Kevin can help me put on this
Old May 10, 2011, 11:27 AM   #4

How are you firing off the shots i.e. cable release or timer? And do you have in camera ISO noise reduction turned on?
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 12:10 PM   #5
spy

Superb composition. The two questions I would have asked has just been done. I was waiting for shots like these to come from you. Have you got the bug now? :-D
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 12:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswen View Post
How are you firing off the shots i.e. cable release or timer? And do you have in camera ISO noise reduction turned on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by spy View Post
Superb composition. The two questions I would have asked has just been done. I was waiting for shots like these to come from you. Have you got the bug now? :-D
Thanks, here is what I did I have the remote timer and have set only interval to fire off every 5 sec and everything else is set to 0 you think maybe I need to set it for every 10 sec?, shots were in RAW and live view, also in camera noise is always set to off as I never turn it on, Kevin thanks for the complement especially from you
ps yes the bug is there it is just kind of scary going out at night with no one with you lol
Old May 10, 2011, 12:33 PM   #7
spy

I know all about feeling scared at night in the middle of nowhere all by yourself. I'm not sure why I do it but I do it anyway. I think it's more than just getting photos, it may be a 'soul searching' thing that can't be done at any other time.
When I shoot these things, I set my shutter to 30 seconds and lock the remote cable to "on" and fill up the card shooting in RAW. During this time, you'll find me back in the car resting, listening to some great tunes or enjoying many cups of coffee.

After I've stacked all the images together, I "flatten" all the layers and at that point all those little micro spaces disappear.
Old May 10, 2011, 12:44 PM   #8

Quote:
I know all about feeling scared at night in the middle of nowhere all by yourself. I'm not sure why I do it but I do it anyway. I think it's more than just getting photos, it may be a 'soul searching' thing that can't be done at any other time.
When I shoot these things, I set my shutter to 30 seconds and lock the remote cable to "on" and fill up the card shooting in RAW. During this time, you'll find me back in the car resting, listening to some great tunes or enjoying many cups of coffee.

After I've stacked all the images together, I "flatten" all the layers and at that point all those little micro spaces disappear.
So on the remote you leave everything on 0 and just lock the cable to on? you think the problem would also be that startrails.de I am using since in CS5 you have to do 1 picture at a time and takes to long.
Old May 10, 2011, 1:23 PM   #9
spy

I thought startrails.de joined all those better,...hmmmm. My remote cable is not digital. Its just the cheap one because when its 30 below, it works.
Old May 10, 2011, 3:03 PM   #10

Quote:
I thought startrails.de joined all those better,...hmmmm. My remote cable is not digital. Its just the cheap one because when its 30 below, it works.
Earlier today I wrote Jerry Lodriguss and he just replied and told me that (You are getting breaks because there is a pause between frames.) and he also said that even if I set the interval to 0 I would still get breaks,, so Kevin how do you lock the shutter down to fire every whatever sec you have? thanks.